Collecting vintage instruments is in my blood, ever since trying to find a prewar flathead years ago. Now I am "banjo crazy" primarily for open backs dating from about 1850 - 1910. I am posting photos of some of my open backs. Take a look at my hangout site if you enjoy that kind of thing. I never tire of seeing photos of nice instruments.
I love playing and collecting vintage open back banjos for the following reasons:
1. Affordable, at least for now
2. Original 5-string necks ....... usually original tuners are fine, the banjos are generally ready to play and enjoy.
3. Play old music on old instruments, it's just better. Instruments that have character and can tell a story
4. Artistry and craftsmanship of the highest order. .........old world materials no longer available
5. Investment potential ........ play it and let it grow.
6. Variety of manufacturers .....different tonalities, weights, sizes, scales, heel carvings, peg head shapes, inlay patterns, etc.
7. Easy to sell and trade
8. Enjoy playing and owning a piece of Americana
Bill Anderson has 132 friends. View entire friends list.
Playing Since: 1962
Experience Level: Purty Good
[Teaching] [Jamming] [Socializing] [Helping]
1930 Gibson TB-Granada (9556-32)
1930 Gibson RB-3 (9602-12)
1936 Gibson PB-Granada (558-3)
1960 Gibson TB-250 (0-7768-13)
1963 Gibson TB-250 (140179) 'Bellson'
H. C. Dobson 'Silver Bell' and A.C. Fairbanks
Banjoists: Bobby Thompson, Adam Hurt, Earl Scruggs, J.D.Crowe, Scott Vestal, Ron Stewart, Robby Boone, Ron Block.....It's a pretty short list.
Classified Rating: (+3)
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 7/23/2019
I enjoy collecting vintage banjos / guitars and pickin' around the house where nobody can hear me. Recently gave up the dim lights and small money of playing in public, to playing solely in the safety of my own house...... and investing my time on Banjo Hangout. Thanks to Dub Crouch, Bob Rodgers, Robby Boone, Ron Stewart, David McLaughlin, Adam Hurt, Lenard Cockman, Joe Davisson, J.D.Crowe, George Gruhn, John Bernunzio, Doug Unger, Calvin Minner, Jim Bollman, Robert Bowlin, Gary Price, Jim Ruth, David McLaughlin, Scott Coney, L.D. Ridling, Snuffy Smith, Steve Huber and John Gough for your help, inspiration and friendship.
'Huber VRB - 4 Truetone' 3 hrs
'Marcel Marceau' 4 hrs
'For sale' 6 hrs
'Search problems' 7 hrs
'Can you live off grid?' 7 hrs
'Unsung Heroes' 8 hrs