Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

264
Banjo Lovers Online


Discussion Forum

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

 All Forums
 Playing the Banjo
 Playing Advice: Clawhammer and Old-Time Styles
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: How to Play Clawhammer Banjo in 8 Essential Steps


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/298553

Page: 1  2  

Josh Turknett - Posted - 01/29/2015:  17:39:48



How to Play Clawhammer Banjo in 8 Essential Steps: A Video Series



 






 



As some of you know, I recently wrapped up the "Clawhammer Banjo in 8 Essential Steps" video series for Eric's Banjo Hangout newsletter - a way for me to give back to this fantastic website that has given me so much. And because the world needs more banjo players.



It's a series of 8 videos (plus an intro and a couple bonus videos) intended to get anyone, regardless of prior experience, off and running with clawhammer banjo with a solid foundation of skills. It also incorporates all the principles of the Brainjo method for musical instruction.



We thought it would make a nice sticky topic here, so I've embedded the entire series here as a playlist (above). You can access any of the videos by clicking the "playlist" button on the upper left hand corner, which will bring a drop down menu of all the videos in the series.



 



Pace Yourself



The original series was released in 2 week installments, so if you're new to clawhammer, please don't try to conquer it all in one bite! Work through each video until you've solidified the concepts and techniques covered, then move to the next one. Your patience in the beginning will be handsomely rewarded in the end. 



Also, there's a 40 page e-book that accompanies each of the lessons. It contains all the exercises covered in the videos, and reinforces the content, allowing you to revisit the material when you're away from the computer. You can download it by right clicking on the image below: 







 



 



Have fun!



 



 



Josh



clawhammerbanjo.net



 



P.S. - I'm currently writing a series in partnership with the Banjo Hangout (as one of the newsletter features) entitled "The Immutable Laws of Brainjo: Deconstructing the Art and Science of Effective Practice." For those who are familiar with the "Your Brain on Banjo" column I've written for the Banjo Newsletter, the focus is similar, which is how we can apply principles of learning and neuroplasticity to practice more effectively. Though this series has a bit more of a practical bent.



I think the series would serve as a nice complement to anyone working through or just finishing with the "8 Essential Steps" videos above. There'll be a new article each month till completion, and so I'll post a link below as they come out. 



 



Episode 1: The First Law of Brainjo



Episode 2: How To Play "In The Zone", and Why You Want To Be There, Part One



Episode 2: How To Play "In The Zone", and Why You Want To Be There, Part Two



Episode 3: The Easiest Way To Get Better 



Episode 4: Failure Is Not An Option 



Episode 5: How Much Should You Practice?



Episode 6: When Should You Practice?



Episode 7: Mind Over Matter



Episode 8: The Secret to Staying Motivated



Episode 9: The Meaning of Mastery



Episode 10: The Timeline of Mastery (and the roots of improvisation)



Episode 11: How To Build An Improvisational Brain



Episode 12: Is It Safe To Use Tab?



Episode 13: The "Labyrinth" Practice Technique



Episode 14: The Secret To Playing Faster



Episode 15: The Secret To Memorization



Episode 16: How To Scare Away Stage Fright



Episode 17: What Progress Really Looks Like



Episode 18: How To Accelerate Your Progress 10-fold (while practicing less), Part 1 



Episode 18: How To Accelerate Your Progress 10-fold (while practicing less), Part 2 



Episode 19: The Perils of Confusing Style & Technique



Episode 20: 5 Reasons Your Playing Has Stalled (and what to do about it!)



Episode 21: How To Break The Tab Habit



Episode 22: How To Use The Banjo To Slow Down Time



Episode 23: Feeling Your Way To Banjo Mastery



Episode 24: Banjo Lessons from Steve Martin



Episode 25: The Advantages of an Adult Brain



Episode 26: 9 Reasons Why the Banjo is the Best



Episode 27: 3 Reasons Why Banjo Playing is Great For Your Brain



Episode 28: Why Anyone Can (and should) Learn To Play By Ear, Part 1



 


Edited by - Josh Turknett on 01/23/2018 06:08:31

kmwaters - Posted - 01/29/2015:  18:04:00


Josh it is a great series of lessons. I have tried and given up more than once. Primarily do Scruggs style but feel like I should also learn clawhammer after spending all this money on good banjos!! Thanks a bunch for not only posting these but encouraging and inspiring people to learn even if they tried before and didn't persevere.

BoJack - Posted - 01/30/2015:  04:20:21


I can not get the drop down menu in the upper left to scroll down past
Lesson 4.

Thanks for making this available, I'm learning a great deal.

Best wishes

Ron H

Josh Turknett - Posted - 01/30/2015:  04:48:32


quote:

Originally posted by kmwaters

Josh it is a great series of lessons. I have tried and given up more than once. Primarily do Scruggs style but feel like I should also learn clawhammer after spending all this money on good banjos!! Thanks a bunch for not only posting these but encouraging and inspiring people to learn even if they tried before and didn't persevere.







Thanks, Ken - now go for it!

Josh Turknett - Posted - 01/30/2015:  04:53:00


quote:


Originally posted by BoJack

I can not get the drop down menu in the upper left to scroll down past

Lesson 4.



Thanks for making this available, I'm learning a great deal.



Best wishes



Ron H





Hey Ron - It is possible to scroll down the playlist menu, but whether you can may depend on your type of mouse. The other thing you can do is to make the video full screen. When you do so, you'll be able to see the menu in it's entirety when it pops up. To make it full screen, just click the broken square in the bottom right corner (circled in the image below):



 





 

Scott Barnbilly56 - Posted - 01/30/2015:  05:07:40


First I would like to say a thousand thanks for the best learning method I ever seen on the internet for the beginner . Even though I am already playing this was very helpful in improving a lot of things for me . I printed your 8 step lessons and am doing general banjo playing workshops at music festivals this year and will give folks several documented thing to take away from workshops . One thing is a banjo resources sheet and your 8 steps link is right on top of my most recommended web sites for clawhammer banjo . I also always carry printed copies of some of your lessons so they can visually see what the print out look like . Super that you have melody tabs in there too which is a real plus . I know you have a lot of time and money into putting a production like yours together along with all your continuing lessons which i'm signed up for also and the free price couldn't be any better . We GREATLY appreciate all you have done to help reach out to help us fellow banjo players . So HUGE Thank you to you !
Happy pick & Grin
Scott Barn'billy

mrphysics55 - Posted - 01/30/2015:  06:57:41


yes

Crusty - Posted - 01/30/2015:  07:58:07


Thanks for all your resources Josh.  I learned from you that I was practicing wrong and since changing my ways I'm finding that new licks and songs are internalized much quicker.  I've also found that I've made more progress in a month of playing along with your backup tracks at reduced tempo than I did going to a year+ of beginner jams.

Kristopher - Posted - 01/30/2015:  08:56:32


I've been checking this out for awhile, I think it's a fantastic resource. Thank you for all your time and effort you put into it! It's such a big help for us newbies to have lessons at our finger tips, thanks for sharing your knowledge.

pgarner - Posted - 01/31/2015:  11:22:13


Crazy good resource. Many thanks for doing this. And doing it so well!

bobdenver1961 - Posted - 01/31/2015:  12:22:43


I've been playing Scruggs style for 9 years and decided that I wanted to give clawhammer a try. On Lesson 5 and it's going great. Thanks for putting this together. Awesome!



Bob

Josh Turknett - Posted - 02/01/2015:  09:39:26


quote:

Originally posted by Scott Barnbilly56

First I would like to say a thousand thanks for the best learning method I ever seen on the internet for the beginner . Even though I am already playing this was very helpful in improving a lot of things for me . I printed your 8 step lessons and am doing general banjo playing workshops at music festivals this year and will give folks several documented thing to take away from workshops . One thing is a banjo resources sheet and your 8 steps link is right on top of my most recommended web sites for clawhammer banjo . I also always carry printed copies of some of your lessons so they can visually see what the print out look like . Super that you have melody tabs in there too which is a real plus . I know you have a lot of time and money into putting a production like yours together along with all your continuing lessons which i'm signed up for also and the free price couldn't be any better . We GREATLY appreciate all you have done to help reach out to help us fellow banjo players . So HUGE Thank you to you !

Happy pick & Grin

Scott Barn'billy







Thanks for that, Scott. And yes, a lot of time and effort was put into it (planning, pre-production, filming, editing, etc...!), and there was a steep learning curve needed for my video production and editing skills to catch up with the visions I had in my head. That said, I enjoyed it all a ton (I wouldn't have put in all that work if I didn't) and the responses I've received have made it worthwhile many times over, including yours.



Josh 


Edited by - Josh Turknett on 02/01/2015 09:40:09

Josh Turknett - Posted - 02/01/2015:  09:44:24


quote:

Originally posted by Crusty

Thanks for all your resources Josh.  I learned from you that I was practicing wrong and since changing my ways I'm finding that new licks and songs are internalized much quicker.  I've also found that I've made more progress in a month of playing along with your backup tracks at reduced tempo than I did going to a year+ of beginner jams.







That's really great to hear, Mike. Playing with a backup track or external timekeeping device is such a great tool for propelling things forward (and building confidence). And one reason we get the dreaded metronome out early on in the video series (and hopefully convince you that it's not an implement to be feared :)

adri - Posted - 02/01/2015:  11:45:09


As a newbie clawhammer banjoist but experienced guitarist I'll be following your tutorials Josh.  Already watched them all and the banjo is due to arrive tomorrow...can't wait.



All the best from England.



Nick

Josh Turknett - Posted - 02/04/2015:  04:28:51


quote:

Originally posted by adri

As a newbie clawhammer banjoist but experienced guitarist I'll be following your tutorials Josh.  Already watched them all and the banjo is due to arrive tomorrow...can't wait.




All the best from England.




Nick







Hit the ground running - I like it!

amanset - Posted - 02/11/2015:  03:23:13


I'd just like to add that I'm another newbie that is loving your tutorials. I started off Scruggs style and I just wasn't feeling it, so I ended up investigating this "clawhammer" I had heard about on YouTube and stumbled across one of your tutorials. I'm now totally hooked, have done the first six stages and have learnt bits of songs from the "your first songs" PDF. The way you go about things really works with me and once I have outgrown the beginner's material I will definitely be subscribing so I can get my hands on the next material.



The only suggestion I would make is that when you want to watch your example performances, it is somewhat frustrating to rewind constantly to the right place in a thirteen minute video. I'd suggest a video for the explanation and then a video for each of the performances. It is a small thing really, but it is something I thought about when following the programme.


Edited by - amanset on 02/11/2015 03:24:11

Josh Turknett - Posted - 02/11/2015:  10:14:06


quote:

Originally posted by amanset

I'd just like to add that I'm another newbie that is loving your tutorials. I started off Scruggs style and I just wasn't feeling it, so I ended up investigating this "clawhammer" I had heard about on YouTube and stumbled across one of your tutorials. I'm now totally hooked, have done the first six stages and have learnt bits of songs from the "your first songs" PDF. The way you go about things really works with me and once I have outgrown the beginner's material I will definitely be subscribing so I can get my hands on the next material.




The only suggestion I would make is that when you want to watch your example performances, it is somewhat frustrating to rewind constantly to the right place in a thirteen minute video. I'd suggest a video for the explanation and then a video for each of the performances. It is a small thing really, but it is something I thought about when following the programme.







Thanks so much, Mark. 



And I agree with you on the videos - I went back and forth about whether or not to break up the individual videos into parts, and ultimately elected not to because I was concerned folks might get confused (partly to do with how youtube is set up). The videos are broken up in the Breakthrough Banjo course, however.



Anyhow, really appreciate all of the feedback.



 



Josh 

darylcrisp - Posted - 02/12/2015:  00:40:10


these are great!
found them online a few days ago and I watched 1 thru 6. this is the best presentation I've seen. extremely easy to follow and understand, and it will get you there quickly.

many thanks for your time and efforts in bringing this to our community

sincerely
daryl

amanset - Posted - 02/12/2015:  02:17:24


quote:

Originally posted by banjoholic

quote:


Originally posted by amanset

I'd just like to add that I'm another newbie that is loving your tutorials. I started off Scruggs style and I just wasn't feeling it, so I ended up investigating this "clawhammer" I had heard about on YouTube and stumbled across one of your tutorials. I'm now totally hooked, have done the first six stages and have learnt bits of songs from the "your first songs" PDF. The way you go about things really works with me and once I have outgrown the beginner's material I will definitely be subscribing so I can get my hands on the next material.




The only suggestion I would make is that when you want to watch your example performances, it is somewhat frustrating to rewind constantly to the right place in a thirteen minute video. I'd suggest a video for the explanation and then a video for each of the performances. It is a small thing really, but it is something I thought about when following the programme.








Thanks so much, Mark. 




And I agree with you on the videos - I went back and forth about whether or not to break up the individual videos into parts, and ultimately elected not to because I was concerned folks might get confused (partly to do with how youtube is set up). The videos are broken up in the Breakthrough Banjo course, however.




Anyhow, really appreciate all of the feedback.




 




Josh 







 



Yes, I can see your reasoning on that one. Great to know that the course materials are broken up though. I look forward to using them!

Yanni - Posted - 02/12/2015:  11:10:35


Many thanks to you from me Josh.  I have not been able to play very much recently for one reason or another but I keep watching your videos and am inspired.  I *love* the sound of that gourd banjo of yours :)



Ian

Josh Turknett - Posted - 02/14/2015:  10:13:58


quote:

Originally posted by Yanni

Many thanks to you from me Josh.  I have not been able to play very much recently for one reason or another but I keep watching your videos and am inspired.  I *love* the sound of that gourd banjo of yours :)




Ian







You and me both - it's a pretty special instrument (made by Bob Thornburg, who's clearly a mighty craftsman). 

Sprucetop - Posted - 03/06/2015:  16:02:57


Thank you, thank you, thank you Josh! Your videos have helped so much that I've fallen in love with clawhammer and am now selling my resonator in the classifieds!



Fantastic resource and it's very much appreciated.



Thank you!

Josh Turknett - Posted - 03/07/2015:  12:43:30


quote:

Originally posted by Sprucetop

Thank you, thank you, thank you Josh! Your videos have helped so much that I've fallen in love with clawhammer and am now selling my resonator in the classifieds!







Victory!



Just kidding.



Sort of... :)

amanset - Posted - 03/09/2015:  03:29:10


quote:

Originally posted by Sprucetop

Thank you, thank you, thank you Josh! Your videos have helped so much that I've fallen in love with clawhammer and am now selling my resonator in the classifieds!




Fantastic resource and it's very much appreciated.




Thank you!







I finally cracked and removed my resonator on my Tanglewood over the weekend. I'm now thinking I may need two banjos, one with a resonator for when I play with friends (I have a guitarist and fiddler that we're planning some group action with) and one without for when I am on my own. Two banjos when you've only been playing six months, several of which were spent not enjoying Scruggs-style, is sane, right? Right?

Josh Turknett - Posted - 03/10/2015:  07:26:45


quote:


Originally posted by amanset

 



I finally cracked and removed my resonator on my Tanglewood over the weekend. I'm now thinking I may need two banjos, one with a resonator for when I play with friends (I have a guitarist and fiddler that we're planning some group action with) and one without for when I am on my own. Two banjos when you've only been playing six months, several of which were spent not enjoying Scruggs-style, is sane, right? Right?







Not sane in the least.



Fortunately, sanity is way overrated.

honketyhank - Posted - 03/25/2015:  20:11:40


I started with the banjo at age 16 (1962). I had no teachers or role models other than a couple of Kingston Trio LP's and a copy of Pete Seeger's 'How to Play the 5-string Banjo". I worked hard at trying to learn to frail and finally I "got it". Unfortunately, what I taught myself was that old finger flickin' pseudo frailin' and after a few years I ran into a few folks who showed me how limiting my style was. And after a year or so more of trying to relearn, I just gave up in the face of now having a job, wife, etc. Banjo went into the closet.

Last month, at age 68, I decided to haul out the banjo and start over. Josh's Brainjo introductory lessons looked like a good place to start. I think I am making progress but I am having some difficulties.

1. I am so sensitive to the finger-flickin' that I used to do that I have trouble letting my right hand relax. My right hand remembers that old flum-flicky flum-flicky 50 years later and really wants to revert to it.

2. Probably related to problem 1 is how frustrated I am over not being able to hit the right string on my 'hammer' stroke.

Maybe I just need to be patient and continue the practice. But do any of you have any advice? I am mostly avoiding working on left hand stuff because I want to get the right hand stuff down solid before I tackle my now-clumsy fretting.

cluck - Posted - 03/25/2015:  22:25:51


I always meant to say thanks for these and never got to it.  I did 7 out of 8 lessons back in October which for me is really "sticking with it".  At about a day or so each, the lessons were a perfect pace and covered all the basics.  The best part is all I needed was a banjo and YouTube.  The lesson videos are fully self-contained with tabs displayed at the top and a moving bar to let you know where you are in the tune.  The close ups of Josh's hands and a see through banjo made it very easy to figure out and follow (also great is YouTube half speed ...).  Great job Josh and thank you!  You got me started as a banjo player.

Josh Turknett - Posted - 03/31/2015:  08:24:58


quote:

Originally posted by cluck

I always meant to say thanks for these and never got to it.  I did 7 out of 8 lessons back in October which for me is really "sticking with it".  At about a day or so each, the lessons were a perfect pace and covered all the basics.  The best part is all I needed was a banjo and YouTube.  The lesson videos are fully self-contained with tabs displayed at the top and a moving bar to let you know where you are in the tune.  The close ups of Josh's hands and a see through banjo made it very easy to figure out and follow (also great is YouTube half speed ...).  Great job Josh and thank you!  You got me started as a banjo player.







Thanks for that, Lee - that's great to hear, Lee. And glad to hear you mention the self-contained aspect as well; that was one of my aims when mapping out the course initially. One of my frustrations when ordering music DVDs in the past is the tiny little folded paper that has the tabs and other supplemental materials, which inevitably would disappear when I needed them! 



 



Josh

ironhead - Posted - 04/08/2015:  18:16:35


Josh has done a super job of putting together a wealth of learning material within his "How to play Clawhammer banjo in 8 essential steps" series. What a great thing to do for the banjo community! He's an awesome teacher and skilled musician. If you get on his mailing list, he has a lot of other great banjo material as you advance. He keeps things light and fun and has an enthusiastic presence.  I really enjoyed his core repertoire series of clawhammer tunes.   Brian M


Edited by - ironhead on 04/08/2015 18:17:31

joemcg - Posted - 04/09/2015:  08:49:20


Deering had a "Friends and Family" event a couple of weeks ago and I came home with a Goodtime 5 string. I have been taking mandolin and guitar lessons for a couple of years, starting at the ripe age of 69, but I love the sound of all things acoustic and wanted to experiment with the banjo. 



I found your lessons on YouTube Josh, and they are ideal for me. Thanks for the chance to start right! I'm not certain learning clawhammer technique from strictly printed material would be possible for me. 

Josh Turknett - Posted - 04/12/2015:  04:49:57


quote:

Originally posted by ironhead

Josh has done a super job of putting together a wealth of learning material within his "How to play Clawhammer banjo in 8 essential steps" series. What a great thing to do for the banjo community! He's an awesome teacher and skilled musician. If you get on his mailing list, he has a lot of other great banjo material as you advance. He keeps things light and fun and has an enthusiastic presence.  I really enjoyed his core repertoire series of clawhammer tunes.   Brian M







Thanks so much for that, Brian.



Josh

Josh Turknett - Posted - 04/12/2015:  04:52:12


quote:

Originally posted by joemcg

Deering had a "Friends and Family" event a couple of weeks ago and I came home with a Goodtime 5 string. I have been taking mandolin and guitar lessons for a couple of years, starting at the ripe age of 69, but I love the sound of all things acoustic and wanted to experiment with the banjo. 




I found your lessons on YouTube Josh, and they are ideal for me. Thanks for the chance to start right! I'm not certain learning clawhammer technique from strictly printed material would be possible for me. 







Thank you, Joe - I started on a Goodtime many years ago. It's since withstood quite a bit of abuse, and it continues to get plenty of playing time!

Dock Jekel - Posted - 04/13/2015:  17:29:40


Still using the heck out of OLD TIME JAM MACHINE.   Need donations?... sure would like some more tunes!  I love all the resources you provide.  Thanks for all your contributions to clawhammer!


Edited by - Dock Jekel on 04/13/2015 17:31:12

Josh Turknett - Posted - 04/14/2015:  10:32:07


quote:

Originally posted by Dock Jekel

Still using the heck out of OLD TIME JAM MACHINE.   Need donations?... sure would like some more tunes!  I love all the resources you provide.  Thanks for all your contributions to clawhammer!







That's great, Dock. I do have more tunes close to being ready for final upload, so stay tuned! 

jtv - Posted - 04/15/2015:  19:33:22


Thank you very much for this. I'm loving it so far. Great resource for me to start learning the banjo. The way it's looking I may have to subscribe to keep learning, but I have no qualms about that with the value it seems to have.

Josh Turknett - Posted - 05/07/2015:  12:33:25


The latest installment in the "Laws of Brainjo" series is up on the topic of practice time - how much is enough, and is there such a thing as too much?



 



Episode 5: How Much Should You Practice?

Josh Turknett - Posted - 06/11/2015:  08:44:15


quote:

Originally posted by jtv

 

Thank you very much for this. I'm loving it so far. Great resource for me to start learning the banjo. The way it's looking I may have to subscribe to keep learning, but I have no qualms about that with the value it seems to have.







You bet, jtv. Thanks so much for the kind words.



 



Josh

bartmcneil - Posted - 06/15/2015:  08:14:35


I had started playing clawhammer before seeing your videos so I used the first few lessons to clean up my right hand position for better use of my nail(s) and clean up my playing and fretting technique. Very helpful and I occasionally return to the series for practice.


Edited by - bartmcneil on 06/15/2015 08:21:38

Matt_C - Posted - 06/15/2015:  10:23:34


These lessons are an amazing resource. I had never seriously played an instrument before and I got my first banjo in April this year. I somehow lucked into finding Josh's lessons and have made it through the 8 steps to claw hammer video series. I am now working on the bonus lesson and some of the tunes in the first songbook. I am stunned at the progress I have made. I have become a down picking and metronome enthusiast. Thank so much Josh! 

Josh Turknett - Posted - 06/22/2015:  10:55:58


quote:

Originally posted by Matt_C

 

These lessons are an amazing resource. I had never seriously played an instrument before and I got my first banjo in April this year. I somehow lucked into finding Josh's lessons and have made it through the 8 steps to claw hammer video series. I am now working on the bonus lesson and some of the tunes in the first songbook. I am stunned at the progress I have made. I have become a down picking and metronome enthusiast. Thank so much Josh! 







 



That is fantastic, Matt. And you're very welcome!

Josh Turknett - Posted - 07/08/2015:  08:09:32


Another installment in the "Laws of Brainjo: Deconstructing the Art and Science of Effective Practice" is out in the newsletter today.



The topic this time is visualization - something I've used to practice while away from my instrument for a long time, and one I wrote about previously in the BNL. This particular installment, however, covers a visualization technique I happened upon not that long ago that I think is the perfect way to get started with it (and probably the best way to maximize the benefits of visualization in general). Here's the link:



Episode 7: Mind over Matter



 



Josh



 

Richard Dress - Posted - 07/08/2015:  10:03:11


The thumb rest is the key to it all, if one already knows how to play the banjo  My teacher, Bill Emerson, showed me that trick a long time ago.  It was all that I needed to start playing clawhammer.



Your method then looks very promising to me.  It should help a lot of people.

Josh Turknett - Posted - 07/16/2015:  03:46:56


quote:


Originally posted by Richard Dress

 

The thumb rest is the key to it all, if one already knows how to play the banjo  My teacher, Bill Emerson, showed me that trick a long time ago.  It was all that I needed to start playing clawhammer.




Your method then looks very promising to me.  It should help a lot of people.







Thanks, RIchard. I agree, too, the thumb rest is one of the essentials - and learning it early on can save a lot of trouble later on. And for the sake of clarity, here's a visual depiction:



 




 


mushin - Posted - 07/18/2015:  15:41:11


I recently purchased "Great First songs" tabs and video tutorials. I'm loving it! Its been a couple years since I've picked up a Banjo. This was exactly what I needed. The tutorials with the tab on the same screen are so helpful. After just a couple of hours I feel like its starting to come back.

Thanks!

Josh Turknett - Posted - 07/24/2015:  05:58:10


quote:

Originally posted by mushin

 

I recently purchased "Great First songs" tabs and video tutorials. I'm loving it! Its been a couple years since I've picked up a Banjo. This was exactly what I needed. The tutorials with the tab on the same screen are so helpful. After just a couple of hours I feel like its starting to come back.



Thanks!







That's really great to hear, Ron. Thanks so much.

Josh Turknett - Posted - 08/13/2015:  10:23:58


The next installment in the "Laws of Brainjo" came with this week's hangout newsletter, and is one of my favorites so far: banjohangout.org/blog/33541">Episode 8: The Secret To Staying Motivated



 

stevew - Posted - 08/13/2015:  14:53:24


Looks like you've hit another one out of the park, Josh, with your article on how to stay motivated. 



I hope you don't mind, but I've been sharing your articles on an acoustic guitar forum that I frequent.  I feel that they can be of great value to guitarists as well as banjo players.  They've been very well received over there.  People seem to really respond to your simple, friendly, and sometimes humorous way of getting your point across much more than they would to a more academic sort of article.  



I'd also like to thank you for the best advice I've ever had concerning the learning of a new instrument, or if you think about it, learning almost anything new, really.  I wish I'd known these things nearly 50 years ago when I began playing guitar. 



 

Josh Turknett - Posted - 08/14/2015:  12:57:38


quote:

Originally posted by stevew

 

Looks like you've hit another one out of the park, Josh, with your article on how to stay motivated. 




I hope you don't mind, but I've been sharing your articles on an acoustic guitar forum that I frequent.  I feel that they can be of great value to guitarists as well as banjo players.  They've been very well received over there.  People seem to really respond to your simple, friendly, and sometimes humorous way of getting your point across much more than they would to a more academic sort of article.  




I'd also like to thank you for the best advice I've ever had concerning the learning of a new instrument, or if you think about it, learning almost anything new, really.  I wish I'd known these things nearly 50 years ago when I began playing guitar. 




 







Thanks so much, Steve. And by all means, share away! As you pointed out, the articles can be used as a template for learning anything. I just happen to really like talking about banjos. :)



Noticed that my prior link to the article apperas to be broken, so here it is again: Episode 8: The Secret to Staying Motivated

Josh Turknett - Posted - 12/10/2015:  09:49:27


Another installment in the "Laws of Brainjo" series is out as part of this week's BHO newsletter:  Episode 12: Is It Safe To Use Tab?

annapaws - Posted - 12/11/2015:  00:33:22


Hiya Josh, thanks ssooo much, i'll have a look at this at the weekend
cheers, anna

Page: 1  2  

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0625