Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 7, 2026 - 9:48:40 AM
99 posts since 10/23/2016

I'm constantly breaking my picking nail, and the picks I have tried haven't worked for me (fit issues, tone, etc.) so I was thinking of getting an acrylic or similar nail. My daughter tells me that there are some gels that are harder than acrylics. So, if you have gone this route, a few questions:
1. What exactly did you use, and do you recommend it?
2. If I go to a nail salon, what do I tell them I want (since they won't be familiar with banjo)?
3. How did you shape it? Obviously not as claw-like as teh fashion folks do, but rounded or somewhat squared off end? How long?

Thanks.

Oct 7, 2026 - 12:43:16 PM
like this

14 posts since 9/28/2006

The fake nails made from guitar pick material from Lucas Poole are great.

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:47:05 PM
like this

rmspncr

USA

5 posts since 11/24/2025

I second the fingernail picks from Lucas Poole. I only use them if my nail gives out. You can buy Gorrilla putty if you run out of what they supply. I haven’t tried any gel or anything like that.

Oct 7, 2026 - 7:21:23 PM
like this

amsweet

USA

87 posts since 3/6/2021

I primarily use my natural nail, but I too use Lukas Poole's fingernail pick if my nail breaks. 

As far as length and shape, I keep my nails about the length of my fingertips. Because I also play fingerstyle guitar, I keep my nails slightly slanted as well. I keep my fingerpick about the same length, but the shape is more rounded because I don't use it to play guitar. 

Edited by - amsweet on 10/07/2026 19:26:04

Oct 8, 2026 - 3:00:53 AM
likes this

Tuedelband

Germany

137 posts since 7/27/2021

I’m sticking with UV nail polish.

My daughter recommended it, and it’s been holding up for three weeks now on my index and middle fingers—and even though I put a tea bag under my index finger, you can barely see it.

I’d tried artificial nails before, but as they grow out, they form a ridge that you can get caught on—ouch.

Plus, they always fall off when it’s least convenient.

I use a primer; otherwise, I’m still experimenting. Next, I’m going to try this “Modelones Builder Nail Gel.” Right now, I have something similar from Neonail, which has been holding up for three weeks despite me playing my steel-string guitar for 3–4 hours a day.

Oh, and I use the clear version.

Since I can't decide on a playing style, I keep my nails short enough that I can pluck with my fingertips; I prefer that to using my fingernails.

Of course, you can also do it this way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJnju1MTT8

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1328125