DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
My apologies if this has been discussed many times --- I have terribly slow internet and am too lazy to look it up. But I have a simple question. I've been playing D tunes in double D tuning for about 3 years. But now I come across many tabs that use f#(or a) DF#AD tuning. Should I be learning this instead of double D or in addition to double D? Are there advantages / disadvantages to either tuning? Any advice appreciated.
The answer, of course, is it depends. The open D works very well for some tunes - it's often referred to as the "Reubens Train" tuning. I find the double D to be more versatile for playing with fiddlers, and it's a pain to re-tune in a jam, so I rarely use the open any more.
You can also tune the first string in double D up to F# to get another open D, which is fun for some things.
And there are probably several more alternatives!
Open D tuning is used in Bluegrass playing on some tunes, but I haven't heard an Old-Time banjo player use it. If you want to try tuning the banjo that way and experimenting, by all means, do it. I don't think you would want to replace Double D with open D. If you find you can play some tunes in open D, use it in addition to Double D. You can also drop the second string one note and play out of Drop D instead of Double D.
I use double-D tuning (aDADE) for most fiddle tunes in D, but as others have noted, there are a number of tunings that work well for certain D tunes or songs. For instance, the open D tuning you mention has many variants, e. g., f#BEAD, which Tommy Jarrell used for Cumberland Gap. In this tuning, if you fret the 4th string, 3rd fret and the 3rd string, 2nd fret, you have the same D chord as the open strings in f#DF#AD, but now you can “walk up” to that low D.
Many other tuning variants like this are tailored mainly for just one or a few tunes, and are sometimes referred to by the name of one of those tunes (e. g., “Little Birdie tuning”, etc.). But only a few of those tunings tend to be useful as general tunings for D fiddle tunes, largely because of the typical melodic range of the tunes versus the range comfortably available in the tunings.
Edited by - BrendanD on 10/04/2026 17:23:11
There are several old-time clawhammer tunes that use f#DF#AD tuning (open D tuning), for example:
For clawhammer players the double D tuning seems to be the normal tuning to choose for D tunes, especially for fiddle tunes, but you may try open D. Sometimes it works, sometimes double D will be better.
To learn more about banjo tunings you may study this site: https://zeppmusic.com/banjo/aktuning.htm
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.