Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Sep 26, 2026 - 3:34:58 PM
23 posts since 6/9/2026

I've been wanting to try a nylon string/strang/strung banjo. I currently have and play a couple of superb steel string open back banjos. My playing style is best described as lazy. Or pensive to put a top spin on it. I like a big warm sound. I have a light touch and play alone, deep in the night. You may have read my thread about playing in whisper mode (banjohangout.org/topic/409570).

My style uses the full frailing scoop, so I need that too.

My questions are;
How does pot size affect the sound? Just guessing, but it seems a larger pot might/would produce a bigger, warmer sound. Any truth to that?

How does scale length affect the sound? Again, just guessing, but maybe a regular scale (as opposed to an A-scale) would make a bigger, warmer sound. A long scale banjo won't work for my old shoulders - I don't think I can endure a long reach for the fretting hand. I don't use a capo because I play alone and I like the full sound without a capo.

I don't think I want a humidity sensitive skin head, but nylon strings on a big pot and a long scale seem seem like good choices.

I'm in no hurry and have decided to make this banjo search into a hobby. As you know, once you find and buy a great instrument the pleasure of the search is over. I enjoy looking at the classifieds to help me learn what's available.

Your experience, advice and wisdom appreciated.

Sep 26, 2026 - 4:27:37 PM
like this

Matsuda

USA

4 posts since 3/14/2021

The first instrument I spent real time with of my own free will was a nylon-strung guitar. I mostly play banjo now but still am happiest with the warmer sound and gentler left-hand feel of nylon/nylgut. I have a few nylon-strung banjos, all open backs. One made by Doc Huff has a scalloped fretboard, feels easy and smooth under my left hand, and has a deep tone. Those are now hard to find. I keep a C-scale banjo by Zach Hoyt to play in my office at work after others go home. His work is beautiful and the smaller scale and sound are perfect for a smaller room. I think the gold standard for a nylon-strung banjo is made by Ryan Navey of Carolina Banjo Company. He builds a short-scale, all wood hookless design that feels like a classical guitar but sounds like Midland, NC. carolinabanjoco.com

Sep 26, 2026 - 5:03:19 PM
likes this

5377 posts since 10/13/2005

I am very pleased with my 25.5"scale, 12"pot Stone Banjo strung with Minstrel Nylguts tuned down from standard G to E – eBEG#B. Outstanding materials, design, and craftsmanship banjohangout.org/classifieds/s...Submit=Go banjered

Sep 26, 2026 - 5:38:49 PM
like this

2952 posts since 2/9/2007

If you want a big, warm sound, I think you'd like something tuned well below standard pitch. Have you ever played a Gold Tone "Missing Link" baritone? How about a low-tuned "minstrel" style banjo (lightweight, deep rim, minimal hardware)?

Anyway, at whatever pitch, nylon strings have a lot lower tension, so you'll probably be picking closer to the bridge than you do now. IOW, you may not need the scoop.

I would recommend a skin head over plastic. I have found that there's more of a tone difference between the two with non-metal strings than with steel.

I'll agree with Matsuda-- Do check out Ryan Navey's instruments!

Sep 26, 2026 - 6:40:37 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by Matsuda

The first instrument I spent real time with of my own free will was a nylon-strung guitar. I mostly play banjo now but still am happiest with the warmer sound and gentler left-hand feel of nylon/nylgut. I have a few nylon-strung banjos, all open backs. One made by Doc Huff has a scalloped fretboard, feels easy and smooth under my left hand, and has a deep tone. Those are now hard to find. I keep a C-scale banjo by Zach Hoyt to play in my office at work after others go home. His work is beautiful and the smaller scale and sound are perfect for a smaller room. I think the gold standard for a nylon-strung banjo is made by Ryan Navey of Carolina Banjo Company. He builds a short-scale, all wood hookless design that feels like a classical guitar but sounds like Midland, NC. carolinabanjoco.com


I met Doc Huff once I think at Wintergrass(?) and was impressed by his instruments. I'd forgotten all about it so thanks for reminding me. I will be on the look-out for one. 

The Carolina Banjo Company! Wow! Now those banjos are different therefore desirable. 

Thanks for the reply.

Sep 26, 2026 - 6:42:37 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by banjered

I am very pleased with my 25.5"scale, 12"pot Stone Banjo strung with Minstrel Nylguts tuned down from standard G to E – eBEG#B. Outstanding materials, design, and craftsmanship banjohangout.org/classifieds/s...Submit=Go banjered


I was looking at that banjo. It's certainly in my price range and I like everything about it. 

Tuning down to E isn't something I ever considered or even thought about. Thanks. 

I appreciate the reply.

Sep 26, 2026 - 6:48:37 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Gellert

If you want a big, warm sound, I think you'd like something tuned well below standard pitch. Have you ever played a Gold Tone "Missing Link" baritone? How about a low-tuned "minstrel" style banjo (lightweight, deep rim, minimal hardware)?

Anyway, at whatever pitch, nylon strings have a lot lower tension, so you'll probably be picking closer to the bridge than you do now. IOW, you may not need the scoop.

I would recommend a skin head over plastic. I have found that there's more of a tone difference between the two with non-metal strings than with steel.

I'll agree with Matsuda-- Do check out Ryan Navey's instruments!


I'm not aware of the Gold Tone "Missing Link" baritone. Is it tuned lower as the "baritone" implies?

Another new idea for me: "low-tuned minstrel style banjo".  I will be looking for them. What's low-tuned? I mean, how low? Lower than the aforementioned E tuning? Lighter weight appeals to my old shoulders.

No one has mentioned pot size. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I thought.

A mind is like a parachute - works best when open :).

I appreciate the reply. My search might be shorter than expected with all these great ideas!

Sep 26, 2026 - 10:59:49 PM
like this

martyjoe

Ireland

990 posts since 3/24/2020

I have a few banjos that have all woody construction. Neck, rim, back, arm rest, tension hoop and tone ring are all woody (bamboo in fact). In the collection there just happens to be one 12” archtop sitting there without strings. This is a good opportunity to order a set of nylons for it. I’m not sure how nylons will work with the Steinberger tuners. That will be interesting.
One other consideration for you to work out is where to place the bridge. I’m guessing that you may like to have it slightly more towards the center of the pot to bring out more mellow.


 

Sep 27, 2026 - 9:47:58 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

Mark D

USA

104 posts since 7/8/2006

Very cool looking "woody" you have there martyjoe. Good luck with testing it out with Nylguts. I bet it will sound great.

I've had four nylon string banjos. All with 12' pots.

First one, a Romero from 2006 with a Brazilian Cherry block wood pot and Bubinga tone ring. It came with steel strings, a Renaissance head, a standard bridge, and a unique ring type tailpiece. I changed the tailpiece to a Fielding which spreads the strings out more. Swapped in a John Balch skin head. Both head types sounded fine to me, but I've stuck with the skin head. Changed to a compensated Romero bridge. Never modified the nut to take the thicker Nylguts, but it sounds fine with the strings resting on the original nut slots.

The second was a Chuck Lee maple Prairieville. Probabley had the best neck for my hand of any banjo I have owned. Originally sold to the first owner as a steel string. He changed over to nylon and I've tried it both ways. Shorter 25-1/2" scale and a little wider at the nut than normal. A lot of very nice features. Should not have sold it.

The third was a Deering Goodtime Solana 6 - a maple six string banjo set up like a classical guitar, Mylar head with a pickup attached. I really liked the sound of the instrument, but the longer 26"+ scale and the wider D-shaped neck carve did not agree with me. I have mild. sporadic essential tremor in my hands and that neck seemed to aggravate it.

The last is a Gold Tone AC-12FL, a fretless composite with a Renaissance head. 26.25" scale. Well made and setup direct from Gold Tone at a very reasonable price on sale.

Was going to try nylon strings on a 12" mahogany Ome Wizard and a 11" Reiter Professional, but never got around to it.

I like the sound of a nylon strung banjo and will always keep one around. I've found them to stay in tune better than my classical guitar, which always seems to require major tuning before playing.

Good luck in your hunt, randomchar.

Sep 27, 2026 - 10:59:24 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

Perhaps you could consider getting a set of La Bella 17 Classic strings and putting them on one of your current banjos. You could then experiment with setting them at different pitches, until one stands out as being "just right" for that banjo, in respect of the tonality and the feel.
I have always played just for myself, usually very quietly and I also discovered all of the things that you mentioned in your other post. I have also always used gut strings on my 19th century banjos, but one of them had the La Bella 17s put on, by a friend who had borrowed it. When it was returned, I intended to put the gut back on, but to be honest, the 17s are really good and are still on it. I also have them on a modern Korean Ozark banjo, that I don't really play, but if I do have a quick tune, I'm always impressed with the combination.

Edited by - ALCO on 09/27/2026 11:15:36

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:04:59 AM
likes this

Mickhammer

France

303 posts since 6/17/2009

I'd steer you toward a banjola -- mine's (Pohlmann) strung with nylguts, and it has that warm, intimate sound you're looking for.

Plus, it's quite small, has a shorter scale neck but can be tuned to standard pitches, fits snugly against the body with no strain on the shoulders.

Edited by - Mickhammer on 09/27/2026 11:05:59

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:28:03 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

Perhaps you could consider getting a set of La Bella 17 Classic strings and putting them on one of your current banjos. You could then experiment with setting them at different pitches . . .


Yes. Good thought and I may go that route. I keep one of my banjos tuned G and the other with variations on C. Both are excellent banjos.

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:29:46 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by Mickhammer

I'd steer you toward a banjola . . .


Yes! I have a banjola and it's certainly quiet. It might be a good instrument for experiments. Thanks.

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:33:23 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

Let us know how it turns out.

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:45:29 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

Let us know how it turns out.


Yes, I will. In fact, probably no one can stop me from showing off my treasures :).

Sep 27, 2026 - 1:08:40 PM
likes this

Mickhammer

France

303 posts since 6/17/2009

Another thought: try a bridge mute (like the type Gold Tone makes). It mellows out the tone a lot, but adds a bit of growl, depending on how you position it. Kind of transforms the instrument

Sep 27, 2026 - 1:22:27 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by Mickhammer

Another thought: try a bridge mute (like the type Gold Tone makes). It mellows out the tone a lot, but adds a bit of growl, depending on how you position it. Kind of transforms the instrument


I've used bridge mutes in the past. They certainly make a huge difference, and probably saved countless relationships. 

I have an out of control lust for acoustic instruments, so I'm using the "need a nylon/skin" banjo as a pretext for my search. There may be a few hangout members that are similarly afflicted. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Sep 27, 2026 - 6:19:28 PM
likes this

2952 posts since 2/9/2007

quote:
Originally posted by randomchar
 

I'm not aware of the Gold Tone "Missing Link" baritone. Is it tuned lower as the "baritone" implies?

Another new idea for me: "low-tuned minstrel style banjo".  I will be looking for them. What's low-tuned? I mean, how low? Lower than the aforementioned E tuning? Lighter weight appeals to my old shoulders.

No one has mentioned pot size. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as I thought.


"Minstrel" (antebellum-style) banjos are typically tuned a third or fourth below standard (E or D), and most have a 12" OR LARGER rim.   

The GT Missing Link baritone is tuned a fifth low (C), and does have a 12" pot, (and a resonator).  It is not quite nylon-strung in the usual sense, as all 5 strings are wire-wound on multi-filament nylon (like classical guitar basses).  Standard nylon string sets have a wound 4th, but the rest are plain monofilament.  

If you're playing seated, weight shouldn't be of much concern.  You can hold a banjo so none of its weight is borne by your back or shoulders, and so a long-scale neck needs little or no sideways extension of your left arm. 

Edited by - Dan Gellert on 09/27/2026 18:21:00

Sep 27, 2026 - 7:19:47 PM
likes this

John Yerxa

Australia

226 posts since 9/13/2021

randomchar

Jere Canote in Port Townsend (a ferry ride for you) has made a bunch of "minstrel" style banjos - thin 12" pot, tack head of calfskin, longish, but not super long scale, nylgut minstrel strings. I think he's done both fretted and fretless. I tune mine down to A or even G in double C shape, or D/C in G shape. It's the perfect instrument for quiet meditative playing on the back verandah as I watch the day wane.

Don't know if he has any available at the moment. You might check with Dusty Strings in Seattle, Crossroads Music in PT, or Champlin Guitars in Bellingham. If you need, I could put you in touch with him (once I get his OK), send me a PM.

Sep 28, 2026 - 1:17 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

If you're playing seated, weight shouldn't be of much concern.  You can hold a banjo so none of its weight is borne by your back or shoulders, and so a long-scale neck needs little or no sideways extension of your left arm. 


Yes, I play slouching in my ez chair with a strap, so maybe weight isn't an issue. 

I've never played a nylon or skin banjo but the whole idea appeals. I want something that's very different from my Rickard and my Pisgah banjos, both of which are wonderful instruments, but both have steel strings and Renaissance (sp?) heads. I'm attracted to minstrel banjos because they are so different from what I have.

I hope someone will comment on my question about pot size - is bigger better? Seems like it would be.

Appreciate your reply.

Sep 28, 2026 - 1:40:16 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by John Yerxa

randomchar

Jere Canote in Port Townsend (a ferry ride for you) has made a bunch of "minstrel" style banjos - thin 12" pot, tack head of calfskin, longish, but not super long scale, nylgut minstrel strings. I think he's done both fretted and fretless. I tune mine down to A or even G in double C shape, or D/C in G shape. It's the perfect instrument for quiet meditative playing on the back verandah as I watch the day wane.

Don't know if he has any available at the moment. You might check with Dusty Strings in Seattle, Crossroads Music in PT, or Champlin Guitars in Bellingham. If you need, I could put you in touch with him (once I get his OK), send me a PM.


Thanks for the info. I didn't expect to hear so much about lower tunings and that appeals too. Inspired by Lukas Pool, my style is as quiet as I can play but as musical as I can make it. I often get stuck playing the same song over and over just enjoying the whole process - the sound, the feel and I easily fall into a trance-like state. Perfect; reality is more than I can tolerate these days.

I came across the Canote brothers at Wintergrass in Tacoma, WA one time and thoroughly enjoyed their music and humor. You're right, it's just a short ferry ride to Pt. Townsend. In fact, from my ez chair I look directly across Puget Sound at Pt. Townsend. I watch the ferrys (ferries?) crossing the sound and I can see the ferry dock on both ends of the route. Sometimes in high wind conditions they really struggle to make the trip.

However, travel is limited for me at this time. I'll keep watching the classifieds and Reverb for instruments. I'm in no hurry and I enjoy the hunt. Besides, it gives me a good reason to interact with forum members.

I just looked up Adelaide on the St. Vincent Gulf. Sure would like to visit. I appreciate your reply.

Sep 28, 2026 - 3:04:01 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

In another post from a member, he was asking for advice on getting a 'Minstrel' banjo and I suggested that he keep an eye open for an Eric Prust 'Basic Tackhead'. I had a trawl through the adverts and didn't find any for sale. Maybe you could post a request, asking if anybody would be interested in selling their one. There is a Members Group on here too, called Prust Banjo Players, with 20 people signed up. Perhaps try to contact him directly and ask If he would make a couple, one each for you and the other chap. Here are some reviews

banjohangout.org/reviews/searc...edir=true

There are also some YouTube videos; these are my favourites

m.youtube.com/watch?v=F1qBDR4h...MAYcqIYzv

m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjOsP0wtE6k

m.youtube.com/watch?v=vxbw4Urf0Z0

Because I'm concentrating on a different style of banjo, I only play mine very occasionally, but when I do, the joy of it returns instantly and with it, a smile, which is a rare thing these days. Maybe I should get back to playing it every day.
BTW they have a 13" diameter vellum head.

Sep 28, 2026 - 6:31:51 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

@ALCO

Thanks for the Prust info and the youtube links. At this point, I only have a vague idea of what I want, and my mind changes hourly as I learn more and look more. 

I've expanded my mind (once again!) and think maybe a skin head would be the right choice. Now I wonder if a skin head and nylon strings are a good combo or maybe too much mellow all at once, although I've never experienced too much mellow in my life. 

Thanks for the reply.

Sep 29, 2026 - 10:35:38 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

I still think the first change should be getting the La Bella 17 Classic set. It's a cheaper and easier option that putting a vellum head on one of your banjos. If the strings on banjo 'A' don't give you the sound you want, after varying the pitch and/or applying various degrees of muting etc. try them on banjo 'B' and if that doesn't work, then it would be the time to get the vellum head.

Sep 29, 2026 - 10:53:21 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

I still think the first change should be getting the La Bella 17 Classic set.


Good advice. La Bella 17 Classic noted and I'll give it a try. I'll report back when I get it done.

However, I admit I'm afflicted with acoustic instrument acquisition syndrome. Trees that have become musical instruments ticks all my boxes.

Without being obnoxious (I hope), I'll re-ask my question to the forum about pot size. My illogical logic says bigger is better, but does it matter?

Sep 29, 2026 - 11:26:47 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

It is an all too common condition; I've spent a good part of today looking for a banjo and it's not even for me!
Although I know what you mean, a bigger pot size, diameter, depth, thickness, may mean 'different' but 'better' depends on how you hear the effect and then, if you conclude that it matters. Another option, although in the USA, quite likely to be difficult to find and very expensive if do, would be a 6 or 7 string banjo. The additional bass strings might provide the sound you want.

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3046875