Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Jul 22, 2026 - 9:40:28 PM
like this
23 posts since 6/9/2026

Inspired by Lukas Pool, I decided to see how quietly I could clawhammer. I found that a light touch and allowing a natural motion works well for me. I can play faster, not that that's so important, but a natural gallop emerges when I don't force things.

Silence is my benchmark - is what I'm playing better than silence? It's a tall order considering that silence is golden, but it's pleasant to play and hear a softer touch.

Anyone else play in whisper mode?

Jul 23, 2026 - 1:24:53 AM
like this

383 posts since 12/2/2025

Still too loud, man. To stay ahead of the curve you need to learn to play sub-sonically so that only bats and dogs can hear.

Edited by - EEB on 07/23/2026 01:26:56

Jul 23, 2026 - 3:19:46 AM
likes this

lucas73b

Netherlands

189 posts since 3/8/2006

I'm not a banjo whisperer, but I think that, practising once in a while with a light touch will help learn control the volume of your banjo, and control is what matters. Also, I found that some types of heads have a better suited response for playing quiet than others.

Have fun

Jul 23, 2026 - 5:20:34 AM
like this
Players Union Member

carlb

USA

2818 posts since 12/16/2007

quote:
Originally posted by randomchar

Inspired by Lukas Pool, I decided to see how quietly I could clawhammer. I found that a light touch and allowing a natural motion works well for me. I can play faster, not that that's so important, but a natural gallop emerges when I don't force things.


I feel that anybody playing any instrument (including banjo) should be able to play soft or loud at will. For me, stuffing is not the answer for banjo, but touch is.

Jul 23, 2026 - 5:46:50 AM
like this

5377 posts since 10/13/2005

I continue to work on it! I find it difficult to play both fast and quiet so that I do not become obnoxiously loud in a jam. In a jam it is hard for me to measure my decibel level. Once a fiddler accused me of playing too loud. I realized my back was against a wall so we traded places and she said my decibels were fine after all. There is an ear component too. In the same jam I have been accused of playing too loud while others say, "I can't hear you." In the meantime I have worked out my own way of thumb lead/two finger for playing quieter songs/ballads. Ahoy! Ears a-head. banjered

Jul 23, 2026 - 6:32:34 AM
like this

GS

UK

307 posts since 11/24/2023

I think my wife is a banjo whisperer. Every time I pick the banjo up, she says: sshhhh! Is this what y'all are talking about?

Jul 23, 2026 - 7:26:02 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

19825 posts since 6/5/2011

In our circle jams I periodically check with the person next to me.  If/when they can't hear my banjo >>> yes .

Edited by - Owen on 07/23/2026 07:40:50

Jul 23, 2026 - 8:58:39 AM
like this

5377 posts since 10/13/2005

In the bluegrass world if you can't peel the bark off a tree at 40 feet, you need a new banjo! banjered

Jul 24, 2026 - 6:15:47 AM

7524 posts since 6/27/2009

I’ve been accused more than once of not playing loud enough. But because I play mostly at home, it’s been saving my hearing all these years. How is yours?

Jul 24, 2026 - 10:32 AM

11244 posts since 8/30/2004

Hi Janet,
My hearing is shot and I have been wearing an aid for about 10 years now. I don't remember playing too softly--just runs in the family I think. I do think Carl Baron makes a good point though....Jack

Edited by - Jack Baker on 07/24/2026 10:33:39

Jul 24, 2026 - 11:09:03 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by JanetB

I’ve been accused more than once of not playing loud enough. But because I play mostly at home, it’s been saving my hearing all these years. How is yours?


At age 75, my hearing is not so good. Except for the tinnitus that I hear all too well, although if I ignore it things are better.

I play at home, it's just me and my banjo. My recently discovered whisper mode also revealed tones and sounds I didn't know were there. 

Jul 24, 2026 - 11:17:31 AM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by Jack Baker

Hi Janet,
My hearing is shot and I have been wearing an aid for about 10 years now. I don't remember playing too softly--just runs in the family I think. I do think Carl Baron makes a good point though....Jack


Yes, I agree with you and CarlB. I think every song/phrase should have a loudest moment and a softest moment. In the past, I only had two modes - loud and louder. Or as some would say, obnoxious and obnoxiouser.

Learning to play with the lightest possible touch has been a pleasant discovery for me. Not only is it gentle on the ears, but it introduced me to a whole new picking hand sensation. 

Jul 25, 2026 - 8:53:41 AM

7524 posts since 6/27/2009

Actually my hearing is shot, too, and tinnitus would be a bother, but I'm too busy thinking about other things to think about its annoyance. I've observed the deafness in my former band leader and he played an amplified dobro to be heard by crowds and elderly people in homes. Bottom line, we never listened to our elders during the Beatles era regarding loud music and protecting our ears. In my case it's probably decades of the weed eater close to my ears.

I'm glad you discovered the great satisfaction of softer playing, randomchar. Fiddle players aren't so lucky. 

Jul 25, 2026 - 9:44:02 PM

23 posts since 6/9/2026

quote:
Originally posted by JanetB

I'm glad you discovered the great satisfaction of softer playing, randomchar. Fiddle players aren't so lucky. 


I think the whole world thanks me. I'm now a quiet, obnoxious banjo player.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.265625