Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

391
Banjo Lovers Online


 All Forums
 Banjo Hangout Web Site
 Website Problems & Questions
 ARCHIVED TOPIC: New Web Site Format


Please note this is an archived topic, so it is locked and unable to be replied to. You may, however, start a new topic and refer to this topic with a link: http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/334537

Page: 1  2  

R.D. Lunceford - Posted - 09/12/2017:  16:44:41


Probably not the right forum, but I know all of you guys on this one.



What's with the new format.  Didn't know there was a change inthe works.


Edited by - Lynne on 09/13/2017 06:36:31

Jim D - Posted - 09/12/2017:  16:46:43


Kind of like Facebook... no warning, no seeking opinions, just here it is. Well, regrettably, while it's neat and bright, I don't care much for it.

Jim

schlange - Posted - 09/12/2017:  16:52:04


I posted about it a week ago here. Also mentioned in last week's email newsletter!



I know it's different, but please bear with us. Our goal is to keep evolving so the site remains the best dang banjo site around!

mike gregory - Posted - 09/12/2017:  16:57:43


I hate to be a nuisance, but I'm trying to open a new topic, and can't get anything into the area which says Post your message"

So I'm posting this all over, hoping SOMEBODY will sent me an e-mail as to WHY this is, and where I should be clicking to make it happen..

From Greylock to Bean Blossom - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:04:01


Cannot reply to warpdrive on thread about scruggs finger pickes. the compose page comes up when I click on reply but you cannot type on it.

raharris - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:49:55


quote:

Originally posted by mike gregory

 

I hate to be a nuisance, but I'm trying to open a new topic, and can't get anything into the area which says Post your message"



So I'm posting this all over, hoping SOMEBODY will sent me an e-mail as to WHY this is, and where I should be clicking to make it happen..






Years of user support doom me to ask: what browser are you using? I've had no trouble with Chrome. The software I adminster doesn't do well with Safari, etc. In short, try another browser and see what happens.

R.D. Lunceford - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:53:38


Guess we'll get used to it, but right now there's a whole bunch of stuff I used to know how to do that I'm going to have to re-figure out.

Grizzly Adams - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:55:05


Hang in there. In a week you won't even remember what the old format looked like!

RG - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:56:06


The reply button doesn't work and you don't seem to be able to edit a post...kind of an old dog to learn new tricks at this stage...

RG - Posted - 09/12/2017:  17:56:45


Should have said, it looks like the only way to reply is with quick reply...still can't figure out how to edit a post...

Dan Gellert - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:13:57


quote:

Originally posted by RG

 

Should have said, it looks like the only way to reply is with quick reply...still can't figure out how to edit a post...






I see the icons for reply and edit at the bottom of the post I just made

clancyc1 - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:16:53


I'm with you Mike.....Can't post a message on the Swap Shop.....No problem getting the Subject...Just can't post a message...

RG - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:18:33


I do too Dan, but when I click on them and the dialogue box opens, there is no way to type...same problem with edit. Might be my browser or something...too busy to fool with it...

Cyndy - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:20:01


I'm fond of the new version of the site! 



I have no idea how it's built, but I'm guessing the code that's working behind the scenes has been brought up to date and that should make maintaining it and adding new features much easier. 



I know from personal experience that no matter how carefully a new site is tested before launch, there will be glitches that come to light when a lot of people start using it and I always appreciate it when someone lets me know about something needs to be fixed.



Eric--Is there a particular place you want us to post feedback of that sort for new site?







 



 

Cyndy - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:22:14


quote:

Originally posted by RG

 

I do too Dan, but when I click on them and the dialogue box opens, there is no way to type...same problem with edit. Might be my browser or something...too busy to fool with it...






Just testing to see if I can reply and it looks like I can. I'm using Safari on a Mac. 

rudy - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:23:22


I clicked the reply to for your post and nothing comes up that allows me to enter a reply.
Robert. I'm running Chrome and the new format mostly doesn't work for me. As an example

I can only use the plain text response and you can see how wacky the whole process is from what I typed above.

I'm going to avoid BHO until this stuff gets resolved.

mike gregory - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:56:34


Somebody fixed the part of it that I was having trouble with.
Continue to go about your lawful business.

RG - Posted - 09/12/2017:  18:57:24


Cyndy, I'm running Safari on an iMac as well, and have the issue Rudy is having, I can reply using "compose quick reply", but not by hitting the "reply" link next to "New Topic." Same thing with editing a post, I get a dialogue box marked "write", but it's not live and there is nowhere to type...

Cyndy - Posted - 09/12/2017:  19:33:17


quote:

Originally posted by RG

 

Cyndy, I'm running Safari on an iMac as well, and have the issue Rudy is having, I can reply using "compose quick reply", but not by hitting the "reply" link next to "New Topic." Same thing with editing a post, I get a dialogue box marked "write", but it's not live and there is nowhere to type...






That's fascinating. I see what you mean.



I can reply with a quote using the icon that appears after "Report Post" on the right, but when I click the the same icon that appears between "New Topic" and "Reply" down a line on the left I get a blank box. I can type in it and could likely post but I'm not sure I could delete it so I won't test it.



Wonder what's up?

banjered - Posted - 09/12/2017:  19:36:33


There was as Eric said a post he posted about a week ago, I and others made some comments. It probably should not have been posted on a forum page where it soon got scrolled off with new postings and disappeared, but rather posted on the opening page of BHO for great visibility and longevity. It appears that he took away the predominance of glaring red print that I and others suggested. I am sure the glitches will get cleaned up fairly soon. The soft brown color is OK. I never figured out how to post videos and audios on the old BHO and probably won't be able on this one either but that is me and not BHO as others have successfully figured it out somehow, but I wish there were instructions somewhere. There must be technical reasons for the change but I thought the old BHO worked pretty good. I think Eric has done a great job in keeping the Banjo Hang Out hanging together all these years - Thanks Eric! banjered

davidppp - Posted - 09/12/2017:  20:25:08


Once upon a time, Al Gore invented the Internet -- not. As best I know, its crucial aspects owe themselves to the DoD, that wanted a way to communicate during and after WWIII, and particle physicists at CERN, who wanted "platform-independent" ways of communicating data and its analysis among collaborators from around the world. So much for platform-independence. Now you often need the right version of the right browser. And the second biggest use is to collect information to target advertising.

From Greylock to Bean Blossom - Posted - 09/12/2017:  20:30:03


Where can I find the threads I have replied to recently and my posting history? This thing is a nightmare.

Fathand - Posted - 09/12/2017:  20:37:24


So it seems that it is very fussy exactly where you put your cursor when selecting Rich Text or Plain Text when replying. If I put my cursor anywhere on the tab aside from right on one of the words instead of anywhere within the tab. Not a major concern tho.

schlange - Posted - 09/12/2017:  20:40:01


quote:




Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

Where can I find the threads I have replied to recently and my posting history? This thing is a nightmare.






 



 



Recent posts can be found on your homepage. Just click your name and look under "activity". 



 



 


From Greylock to Bean Blossom - Posted - 09/12/2017:  20:43:51


quote:

Originally posted by schlange

 
quote:

 

 

Originally posted by From Greylock to Bean Blossom

 

Where can I find the threads I have replied to recently and my posting history? This thing is a nightmare.


 



 

 


 

 


 

Recent posts can be found on your homepage. Just click your name and look under "activity". 


 

 


 

 


 




Thanks Eric and now my reply button is working.



Ken

rubicon - Posted - 09/12/2017:  21:38:03


I miss the old site this is ridiculous to navigate ugh

cmic - Posted - 09/13/2017:  01:09:25


New look. But always the very good info/stuff. So I don't worry, I'm happy...

BTW, it is much easier to read this New Look on a smartphone !!



Cheers

AndrewD - Posted - 09/13/2017:  01:21:08


Why haven't the other "Playing advice" forums got a thread like this ?
Is there some reason why Old-time players are complaining but Bluegrass, Celtic and Jazz banjoists are entirely happy ? Are we just more "It was better in the old-times" ?

janolov - Posted - 09/13/2017:  01:50:02


quote:

Originally posted by AndrewD

 

Why haven't the other "Playing advice" forums got a thread like this ?

Is there some reason why Old-time players are complaining but Bluegrass, Celtic and Jazz banjoists are entirely happy ? Are we just more "It was better in the old-times" ?






I think the Bluegrassers haven't figured out to make a post in the new format?

arktrav71 - Posted - 09/13/2017:  04:36:38


I wonder just what was wrong with the old site? I know I will figure it out but why have to?

stevel - Posted - 09/13/2017:  05:20:37


Bizarre.  At first I couldn't use the "compose quick reply" box.  Neither the Plain Text nor Rich Text tabs would allow me to type anything into the box.



Then I try replying to someone, and I can't type anything either.  Its just posts their quote, although it did give me the option to add an attachment.



After deleting that first post, I now type in the Rick Text box.  Doesn't appear I can switch over to the Plain Text box.



So yeah... glitchey so far.  I usually hate all new refreshed websites, but get used to them over time.

From Greylock to Bean Blossom - Posted - 09/13/2017:  05:34:47


quote:

Originally posted by arktrav71

 

I wonder just what was wrong with the old site? I know I will figure it out but why have to?






The new site is set up to accomodate more computer capabilities. Look at Erics first post on "new web site coming next week". banjohangout.org/topic/334309/7/#4236547



Ken


Edited by - From Greylock to Bean Blossom on 09/13/2017 05:37:42

janolov - Posted - 09/13/2017:  05:35:56


quote:

Originally posted by stevel

 

Bizarre.  At first I couldn't use the "compose quick reply" box.  Neither the Plain Text nor Rich Text tabs would allow me to type anything into the box.



Then I try replying to someone, and I can't type anything either.  Its just posts their quote, although it did give me the option to add an attachment.



After deleting that first post, I now type in the Rick Text box.  Doesn't appear I can switch over to the Plain Text box.



So yeah... glitchey so far.  I usually hate all new refreshed websites, but get used to them over time.






I had problems when starting up BHO this morning, but I got the advice to clear the cache, and then everything worked! I guess the computer memory still remembers the old BHO and get things messed up between old and new, but clearing old browsing data solved it.

Tobus - Posted - 09/13/2017:  05:47:43


quote:

Originally posted by janolov



 

I had problems when starting up BHO this morning, but I got the advice to clear the cache, and then everything worked! I guess the computer memory still remembers the old BHO and get things messed up between old and new, but clearing old browsing data solved it.






Thanks!  I had the same problem, but clearing the cache fixed it for me too.

kmwaters - Posted - 09/13/2017:  07:07:07


I like it.

banjered - Posted - 09/13/2017:  07:09:15



Recent posts can be found on your homepage. Just click your name and look under "activity".

Did not work for me, clicked on everything and found no "activity" listing. I use the "recent post" to read comments on the topic inquestion and comments on my comments as others do. banjered

OldPappy - Posted - 09/13/2017:  07:28:07


I am a software developer with 42 years experience, and I can't figure out how to "LOGOUT" of the site.

rubicon - Posted - 09/13/2017:  07:46:54


Top right corner hit the wheel to the right of your picture opens up a tab click logout

waynejo - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:06:01


dont like it

jamesd - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:19:38


So, I am not seeing the latest videos posted, only the last one. Can I do something to view more that one video?

jamesd - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:26:59


So now how I view more than the last video updated. I can only see the last one posted.

schlange - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:38:38


quote:

Originally posted by jamesd

 

So, I am not seeing the latest videos posted, only the last one. Can I do something to view more that one video?






Go to media>video library.

OldPappy - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:55:40


 I clicking on that wheel before I asked. It just went away, and didn't come back.

OldPappy - Posted - 09/13/2017:  08:57:26


If I had an "edit" button I would correct my grammar, but alas I don't see one of those either.



I am in IT, so know there are always some "bugs" to work out especially with any kind of new UI.

rudy - Posted - 09/13/2017:  09:06:43


quote:

Originally posted by OldPappy

If I had an "edit" button I would correct my grammar, but alas I don't see one of those either.



I am in IT, so know there are always some "bugs" to work out especially with any kind of new UI.






I used Eric's suggestion to "clear browser cache" and most of the functionality returned to what I'm normally used to.



The roll out should have had a big banner at the top reading:



"Welcome to the new Banjo Hangout format.  CLEAR YOUR BROWSER CACHE IF YOU ACTUALLY WANT TO USE IT".



I did not have the "EDIT REPLY" button, or a raft of other features until I did so.  It would have been much smoother if we would have been informed of the need to  CLEAR CACHE before roll out.



There are still things that make it a lot less functional for me, but some of them are being addressed for modification in the near future.  A few of those are "last reply posted by..." and the fact that the actual forum reading and posting area gets slightly over 50% of the screen width.  I have less than immediate need to see a list of "If you liked any of these folks' posts you may be interested in..." suggestions.  I get enough of that on Amazon.



I guess if there's a plus side to this it's made me spend more time at Acoustic Guitar Forum.


Edited by - rudy on 09/13/2017 09:17:50

Tom Berghan - Posted - 09/13/2017:  09:56:57


Old Adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it.



Was it "broke?"


chuckv97 - Posted - 09/13/2017:  10:46:11


     LOL.....😎


Edited by - chuckv97 on 09/13/2017 10:47:17

WayneConrad - Posted - 09/13/2017:  11:21:57


It looks OK to me.  I'm learning where things are, and so far finding what I look for.  More of the page is taken up by side bars than I'd like, but it's plenty usable and I understand needing a place to put ads.  The mobile experience is much improved; that alone is worth the change.  Good job, Eric.

schlange - Posted - 09/13/2017:  11:34:17


quote:

Originally posted by Tom Berghan

Old Adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it.



Was it "broke?"


 




Yup.



It wasn't mobile-responsive, and the underlying code versions didn't allow us to do more cutting-edge features like improved uploading and more user-friendly interactive tools.

Tom Berghan - Posted - 09/13/2017:  17:11:09


quote:

Originally posted by schlange

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Berghan

Old Adage: If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Was it "broke?"






Yup.



It wasn't mobile-responsive, and the underlying code versions didn't allow us to do more cutting-edge features like improved uploading and more user-friendly interactive tools.






OK . . . well . . . just a suggestion . . . you might want to launch a little ad campaign succinctly stating your problem statement in plain language  . . . and then the members of the BHO will rally around in support I'm sure.  The average age around here is about 148 years old (me anyway) and the old folks don't really do so well with change!  Thanks Eric



 wink

Page: 1  2  

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.046875