Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 10, 2026 - 4:31:49 PM
likes this
4161 posts since 12/31/2005

I'm in my occasional clean out mode. I have culled down my CD collection to probably ~200-250 or so. Mostly these are Gen 1 and Gen 2 artists, and most of the CD's you would expect. But there are also some regional artists and acts that are not as widely known. And, of course, a number of various artist collections (some great banjo compilations). I'll miss the liner notes, but truthfully I am not accessing them to read the liner notes so there is no real need to hold onto all these.

I don't have the time or patience to sell and ship individual CD's and manage orders. I don't want to see them dumped in a Goodwill bin that might get discarded either. It looks like retail for a big artist but not-classic cd is around $3-5 and the "classics" around $5-10. I had an extra Foggy Mtn Banjo that I picked up at Goodwill for $1. Just to see what the market really was (this was when people were posting for $150-$300), I put it up on e-Bay with no reserve. It sold for $20+.

Anyone deal with how to dispose of these efficiently to ensure a good home without giving them away? If someone is interested in what I have on hand, send me a PM. I can also be reached at banjomurph [at] [rhymes with "flea mail"]

Oct 10, 2026 - 4:57:32 PM
likes this

205 posts since 6/6/2015

Auction.

Oct 10, 2026 - 5:50:18 PM
Players Union Member

BruceS2

USA

115 posts since 12/30/2017

You know, CD's are making a comeback. People realized that streaming is just taking your money and having your music on your own is worth something. Maybe list the CDs by name and post a picture of the lot here the Hangout and someone might just want the whole collection. Good luck!

Oct 10, 2026 - 8:28:15 PM
likes this

30146 posts since 6/25/2005

I have a similar issue. I’m thinking about selling three lots—BG, OT snd Irish. Postage/packing plus a flat charge. But I have not decided.

Oct 11, 2026 - 5:28:56 AM

1088 posts since 4/28/2012

quote:
Originally posted by BruceS2

You know, CD's are making a comeback. People realized that streaming is just taking your money and having your music on your own is worth something. Maybe list the CDs by name and post a picture of the lot here the Hangout and someone might just want the whole collection. Good luck!



 

I'm sorry but I would disagree with that. First of all, a box or container of CDs is heavy and takes up valuable space. 

Furthermore, selling CDs is a losing proposition! Buyers expect them to be dirt cheap or to be basically given away. And it's not easy to find that buyer who wishes to purchase the entire lot!

You can ship by media mail (which is more expensive now) but the effort to ship multiple orders and make numerous trips to the post office is considerable. I prefer to give them away to a good home that is local and the receiver must pick them up. My mental health is worth more than a few bucks.

 

You can try to put a positive spin on it all you want.... but CDs have gone the way of the Dodo bird!

Edited by - Mark Douglas on 10/11/2026 05:36:57

Oct 11, 2026 - 5:52:55 AM

180 posts since 6/30/2020

I disagree with the idea that cd's are fully obsolete. I still buy cd's as I don't stream music at all (except YouTube when I need to learn a set list).

I wouldn't want to pay a lot for a used cd but I don't expect them to be dirt cheap. $5-$15 for a used cd sounds reasonable to me, depending on the rarity. If you have hundreds of them it could be a good chunk of change, but it would be a lot of work to list them all on ebay or elsewhere.

I recently paid $40 for all 3 of Jim Mills' studio albums (cds).

Edited by - LouieChee on 10/11/2026 05:55:18

Oct 11, 2026 - 6:18:36 AM
likes this

Nopix

USA

548 posts since 6/11/2025
Online Now

Ask a library if you can donate them.

I'm sort of mixed on the CD vs. Downloads thing.
If there were a band busking, everyone would be taking video. But if I could buy a CD or pre-loaded thumb drive, I would to support them. (If they were good)

Oct 11, 2026 - 6:32:23 AM

4161 posts since 12/31/2005

My concern about streaming is trusting that the services will maintain our music. Think about projects like the fiddle and banjo albums by Johnny Warren and Charlie Cushman. Or the Jim Mills albums. Great stuff, but is it commercially viable enough to host on a streaming site? At least with downloads you still have the song (and in the most durable format - Mp3).

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.34375