Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 6, 2026 - 6:08:50 PM
like this
5121 posts since 4/22/2018

Got a little project in the go to clean up this stock. It’s around 80 years old and saw service in WW2. The wood is in remarkably good shape, the inside looks pristine. The outside was a bit grubby but still in great shape. My aim isn’t to make it look new - heck, every ding air dent will have a story to tell or a ‘oh for xxxx sake’ moment when it was dropped or bashed. I’m just wanting to clean it up. So far, I’ve given it a couple of rub downs with a scotch brute pad and some dish soap. Next step will be a further clean with a mix of turpentine, methylated spirit and raw linseed oil. Then the final work will be some applications of boiled linseed oil - maybe cut down slightly with turps. I’m not planning to ‘restore’ this, just set it in good stead for me to use and then pass it over to my boy at some point. I’d be interested to hear what any of you think of my treatment plans, and if you have any suggestions of your own?

Oct 6, 2026 - 6:10:03 PM
like this

5121 posts since 4/22/2018

Stock




 

Oct 6, 2026 - 7:26:01 PM

45704 posts since 3/5/2008

BRAVO...! :0)

Oct 7, 2026 - 5:40:58 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

slammer

USA

5964 posts since 12/30/2008

Love the old full forearm stocks!!!
Slammer!!!

Oct 7, 2026 - 5:44:56 AM
like this

2 posts since 9/27/2026

I like the look you've got going there. It's not overdone. I did a lot of these projects as a younger man and found Easy-Off oven cleaner to be just about the best thing going to cut through varnish, oil, cosmoline, dirt, grease, and anything else that could end up on a rifle stock. It's easy to meter, too. One coat left on for a minute and wiped off would remove the worst of it without getting too deep. Three coats soaked for 5-10 minutes each and you've basically got raw, unfinished wood!

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:20:17 AM

45704 posts since 3/5/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Groundhog John

I like the look you've got going there. It's not overdone. I did a lot of these projects as a younger man and found Easy-Off oven cleaner to be just about the best thing going to cut through varnish, oil, cosmoline, dirt, grease, and anything else that could end up on a rifle stock. It's easy to meter, too. One coat left on for a minute and wiped off would remove the worst of it without getting too deep. Three coats soaked for 5-10 minutes each and you've basically got raw, unfinished wood!


Thankyou for that tip... :0)

Oct 7, 2026 - 7:18:01 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

slammer

USA

5964 posts since 12/30/2008

Easy Off………….who’d a thunk???
Slammer!!!

Oct 7, 2026 - 9:06:16 AM

5121 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by Groundhog John

I like the look you've got going there. It's not overdone. I did a lot of these projects as a younger man and found Easy-Off oven cleaner to be just about the best thing going to cut through varnish, oil, cosmoline, dirt, grease, and anything else that could end up on a rifle stock. It's easy to meter, too. One coat left on for a minute and wiped off would remove the worst of it without getting too deep. Three coats soaked for 5-10 minutes each and you've basically got raw, unfinished wood!


Thank you John.  I saw the oven cleaner method and to be honest, it worried me a bit as I was concerned about letting it get too far and effectivley making it look too new so to speak.  So far, it has had 3 x scrubs with a scotchbrite pad and soap, which was very effective.  Now im onto stage 2 which is a mix of turps, meths and linseed oil.

Oct 7, 2026 - 9:07:38 AM
likes this

5121 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by slammer

Love the old full forearm stocks!!!
Slammer!!!


Hey Dale, it just gets referred to as 'furniture' here smiley

Oct 9, 2026 - 4:45:22 AM

45704 posts since 3/5/2008

Any clue as to who or where the rifle was issued to.?

Oct 9, 2026 - 5:56:55 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

17998 posts since 5/24/2005

I like what you got going.

In ninth grade I was taking woodworking in school. And, getting into hunting. I went to Montgomery Ward when a barrel of 7mm mausers showed up. (I actually wanted an 8 or 9mm as I recall) I did as much inspecting as I knew how (very little) and took one home for 20.00. I also did not appreciate patina and finish values or even gun stock finishing. I did what I learned to do: stripped in down clean with furniture stripper, sanded it down good, stained it with furniture stain, and wiped on a minwax type finish. It was purty-if it were a table! But, hey, it shoots great if you don't mind lugging it around. I had intended to put a modern hunting rifle stock on it, and cut the barrel down etc. , like many were doing in the early 1960s. I never got around to that. brad

Oct 9, 2026 - 7:21:58 AM

5121 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by STUD figmo Al

Any clue as to who or where the rifle was issued to.?


Sadly no.

I do know that it was manufactured at a factory only 50 miles from where I live and that it was definitely issued to a British Army unit.  It has a 'crows foot' stamp - this is a sort of arrow shaped stamp that goes on issued kit.   

Oct 9, 2026 - 7:25:25 AM

5121 posts since 4/22/2018

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

I like what you got going.

In ninth grade I was taking woodworking in school. And, getting into hunting. I went to Montgomery Ward when a barrel of 7mm mausers showed up. (I actually wanted an 8 or 9mm as I recall) I did as much inspecting as I knew how (very little) and took one home for 20.00. I also did not appreciate patina and finish values or even gun stock finishing. I did what I learned to do: stripped in down clean with furniture stripper, sanded it down good, stained it with furniture stain, and wiped on a minwax type finish. It was purty-if it were a table! But, hey, it shoots great if you don't mind lugging it around. I had intended to put a modern hunting rifle stock on it, and cut the barrel down etc. , like many were doing in the early 1960s. I never got around to that. brad


I'm glad that you left it intact Brad.  

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.6640625