Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 2, 2026 - 12:21:13 PM
84 posts since 2/7/2024

I'm building a Gourd banjo, alls well but the gourd isn't as thick as I imagined it might be. its around 5mm thick (and 4 in places)

should I reinforce inside the Gourd with something like fibreglass to strengthen it?

or would that make it brittle and prone to cracking?

any advice would be welcome

thank you

Oct 2, 2026 - 2:14:04 PM

4 posts since 7/8/2023

Artistically I am loath to combine natural and plastic materials. If the gourd cracks it can't be composted in my yard. And I can throw it away, but now I'm throwing away organic matter which is better composted.

Functionally, the gourd should be plenty strong enough without the fiberglass. Having laid fiberglass for boatbuilding and having built a gourd banjo, I don't think a beginners DIY banjo ends up nice enough to justify the work, stink, and mess of fiberglass.

Oct 2, 2026 - 5:13:24 PM

lapsteel

Canada

1171 posts since 8/13/2015
Online Now

I used fir plywood polygons around the inside edge. This also provided a firm grip for the upholstery tacks holding the head on.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0703125