Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 2, 2026 - 5:18:57 AM
731 posts since 12/26/2006

As I am currently searching a nice Stelling just thought to mention there are currently 18 assorted Stellings available on the for sale section. 18... I have never seen so many available. Usually less than half a dozen.... Have to wonder if Geoff calling it a day has had an impact.....Go figure !

Dave

Oct 2, 2026 - 9:39:22 AM

704 posts since 7/24/2021

It’s not just Stellings , although I have noticed an up tick in the Stelling market. There is something like 150 Gibsons for sell. I’ve never seen this many banjos for sell since I joined .

Oct 2, 2026 - 2:01:36 PM

banjoT1

Canada

383 posts since 7/18/2019

I don't claim to have my finger on the pulse of the banjo market but I have an impression that a few folks are liberating [i.e., selling] those banjos that have been sort of outside the circle of their keepers.
But, specifically as pertaining to Stellings, you'll note that out of the 18 units posted there are 16 that are pre-Tony Pass rim production - or 16 pre-2004 'old rim' models.
And yes, you'll see off and on a newer unit for sale but again, my impression [opinion] is that the owners of the post-2004s are holding tight to those keepers (?) for a few good reasons.

Oct 4, 2026 - 8:31:44 AM

326 posts since 8/14/2018

My first Stelling (2010’s Sun Flower) had the Pass rim… I had heard those were better, and specifically held out to find one with a Pass rim I could afford.

At some point I sold/traded it away and picked up a beautiful 2000 maple Staghorn with the Cooperman rim. Sounded great but maybe preferred the pass rim.

Traded that away for cash and a 1984 maple White Star with the Stew Mac rim… and that, I believe was my favorite sounding one.

If I’m ever at a point to snag another, it would probably be one with a Pass rim. I want to circle back to that with where I’m at now on my playing/learning journey, see what I’d think nowadays. But my experiences with those other rims tells me every last one of ‘em has the potential to be an amazing banjo!

...If ...I were to be given any one of those past banjos for free, with the caveat that it couldn't be resold and was strictly for playin'.... I'm taking the cheapest of the bunch -- that simple, base model 1984 dark stain maple White Star.

Edited by - TimFoster on 10/04/2026 08:36:38

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.7011719