DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
Looking for a good material to line the inside of my metal picks, to help with comfort but mostly to stop slippage from sweat due to performance or jamming nerves. I used to glue in the material from rubber gloves, and that worked well for a while. The material tends to harden over time, so I tried silicone caulking, which provides a nice cushioning but not enough friction to keep the pick in place as well as the rubber.
I solved the problem of slipping picks by putting tiny scraps of masking tape inside the picks, and then adding rubber cement over the tape. The rubber cement/tape combo adds perfect traction to the picks, and the rubber cement can easily be replaced from time to time as it wears off. Almost cost free, and very effective in preventing slippage. This system has worked for me for over thirty years of daily playing, and I'm only on my second bottle of rubber cement.
N.B: Use rubber cement only!: not Titebond, Gorilla Glue, Superglue, or staples!
IF you can get a pair of these

I think your problems with slippage AND comfort will go away. [Alas, they're no help with plucking the wrong strings.
]
I say "if" because BHOer Richard McVicker, the inventor/maker/seller went to the big jam in the sky about 3 years ago... and I'm not aware of their production being taken up by anybody else.
Fwiw, I use a bit of "liquid electrical tape" in my ACRI thumbpicks .... maybe for my psychological benefit, I dunno.
Rosin. If there's a fiddle around that has been played recently, just wipe a little of the dust off the top from under the strings with your finger before putting on the pick. Or get some rosin cream, which is sold as "Gorilla Snot" in music stores (mostly aimed at drummers), and also as "Pro Grip" (and other brands) at bowling alleys.
Another idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is covering the tabs (that go around your finger) with heat-shrink tubing. Never hardens, softens, or falls off.
Edited by - Dan Gellert on 10/01/2026 09:32:08
I use two colours of heat shrink on my saddle brands; 95% to keep them from tangling together and 5% black = index; blue = middle.. Even though it doesn't harden it does crack [or wear through (?) at the "crease"] and I replace it after 3 or 5 years. I've only ever used what Princess Auto [Harbor Freight?] puts on sale, so maybe there's better quality stuff available.
quote:
Originally posted by Dan GellertRosin. If there's a fiddle around that has been played recently, just wipe a little of the dust off the top from under the strings with your finger before putting on the pick. Or get some rosin cream, which is sold as "Gorilla Snot" in music stores (mostly aimed at drummers), and also as "Pro Grip" (and other brands) at bowling alleys.
Another idea that hasn't been mentioned yet is covering the tabs (that go around your finger) with heat-shrink tubing. Never hardens, softens, or falls off.
I have tried Gorilla Snot and although it sticks, it's messy as hell and causes residue to go onto areas you don't want - sheet music, the banjo head, strings.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.