Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 28, 2026 - 4:28:44 PM
277 posts since 2/16/2020

This is really more than just an issue of sufficient volume to be heard over a bunch of fiddlers. I've asked other players about whether I can be heard, but I'm not even sure anyone cares whether I'm there or not. Even the guitarists playing with flatpicks disappear under the fiddlers. Yes, the host says we love banjos in the jam, and maybe they would if I played at the right volume, not to loud and not too soft. But there is just no live feedback. Clawhammer is a lot more subtle than Scruggs style, and is great when it has the room to carry the melody. But that is not what happens at the OT jams I go to.

I guess my question is how do clawhammer players find satisfaction playing with others. I want to be able to be a contributing member. Do you play in smaller sessions with only a few instruments that compliment each other?

Sep 28, 2026 - 5:18:55 PM

535 posts since 5/13/2024

The jam you describe sounds like a great place to meet a fiddle player who is interested in a fiddle/banjo duo.
I love playing with a fiddle player, but one is enough. That's just my opinion.

Sep 28, 2026 - 5:29:02 PM
like this

365 posts since 12/2/2025

quote:
Originally posted by rkdjones

Do you play in smaller sessions with only a few instruments that compliment each other?


Yes, this ^

Somtimes only 2 or 3 of us.

Super-sized thrash-alongs are the exact opposite of connected, responsive space and best avoided.

Edited by - EEB on 09/28/2026 17:31:12

Sep 28, 2026 - 5:58:58 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

Rusty

USA

327 posts since 1/9/2007

How big?
I’ve never had an issue being heard, I’ve been in jams up to 30-40 people.

Sep 28, 2026 - 6:57:29 PM

pinenut

USA

1451 posts since 10/2/2007

quote:
Originally posted by rkdjones


I guess my question is how do clawhammer players find satisfaction playing with others.

I want to be able to be a contributing member. Do you play in smaller sessions with only a few instruments that compliment each other?


Banjos are made for supporting fiddles (and vocalists).  Most of them learned in a more classical violin setting and don't know that banjos are magic that changes a violin into a fiddle. 

"A fiddle without a banjo is just a sad violin", expect some dirty looks until you soften it with some form of "it's my job to support the fiddles" and mean it.  devil

I like supporting the fiddles and vocalists.  Sometimes it works, it's always worth the effort.

Edited by - pinenut on 09/28/2026 19:03:46

Sep 28, 2026 - 9:36:02 PM
likes this

30127 posts since 6/25/2005

What is your banjo, and how hard do you play? Both have significant effect on volume. So does where you play. Over the head produces cleaner, louder notes than over the neck. I play an Essex Concert Grand with a Whyte Laydie-style tone ring. No problem being heard.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

8.203125E-02