Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 27, 2026 - 7:28:28 AM
5 posts since 4/18/2025

I have an old Stewart banjo. The tailpiece is JUST a bar. Someone had strung it before I obtained it (steel strings) and it looked like they just looped the loop around the bar and fed the string toward the bridge. Simple enough...

When I try the same thing, as I get the strings close to proper playing tension- they SNAP! It appears the tension between the loop and the main string is too much and the string breaks.

Any advice? Tricks. I cannot figure out how to totally avoid that unwanted tension, while still keeping the string feeding toward the bridge from the underside of the tailpiece.

And while I'm here... I have been told these old Stewarts were strung with gut strings. Would I have this same issue if I put gut strings on it?

Sep 27, 2026 - 7:57:16 AM

csacwp

USA

3643 posts since 1/15/2014

Stewart banjos should only be strung with light gut or nylon strings. Simply tie them on with a knot.

Sep 27, 2026 - 3:45:48 PM

5 posts since 4/18/2025

John-
I appreciate your answer, and have been considering that option. But in the mean time... I am looking at steel strings on this banjo, and have played it with steel strings. So someone has managed to make steel strings with loop-ends work

Sep 27, 2026 - 6:25:14 PM

9984 posts since 9/21/2007
Online Now

Perhaps you could trade or sell it to this guy, then buy a banjo made for steel strings?

banjohangout.org/topic/410422

Sep 28, 2026 - 5:32:21 AM

3582 posts since 9/5/2006

Long before there was an internet, I had a worn out SS Stewart that I made flush fret and played it with nylon and steel strings. I used lighter so I could tune up and not put too much stress on the neck. The fingerboard was badly gouged out from playing and even the overspun pot had a bad pock mark from a blow it received along the way The banjo worked fine and it did have a no knot tailpiece as the original was not functional.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3046875