Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Page:  First Page   1  2

Aug 20, 2026 - 8:51:42 AM

MarTay6

USA

8 posts since 11/7/2025

quote:
Originally posted by carlb

Any of these work for you?


I love not only these tunes- but the playing style as well.... can you tell me who is this playing? Is this you? 

Aug 20, 2026 - 10:46:01 AM

4 posts since 4/2/2017

quote:
Originally posted by S_D

I'm looking for some haunting clawhammer banjo songs to learn. I really like the darker, slower, rolling, bluesy side of clawhammer, as opposed to the more bright, upbeat traditional old-time sound.

I've already gone down the Dock Boggs rabbit hole, and while I really like his playing, it's not quite the sound I'm looking for. I'm looking for something more slow, spacious, and haunting rather than the more raw, driving bluesy sound of Boggs. A couple of good examples of the kind of sound I'm looking for (although not banjo) is Janel Drewis's version of "In the Pines." or The Last of Us Theme (scruggs-style)  I love the slow, sparse, rolling quality of it.

I'd love some recommendations for songs or arangments with a similar feel. I'm mostly interested in finding songs that sound really good played in a darker, haunting clawhammer style. 
 


Aug 20, 2026 - 10:51:27 AM

4 posts since 4/2/2017

I also like the type of songs and tunes you're describing. Go to YouTube Music and look up "Bones in the Ocean", "Ashes", "Eli the Barrow Boy", and "Brown Mountain Light". The first three are modern Celtic tunes and I believe are in minor keys. Brown Mountain Light, I understand, is an older Appalachian song. It's usually played at a fast tempo, but if slowed down should match what you're looking for.

Aug 20, 2026 - 11:05:36 AM

4 posts since 4/2/2017

quote:
Originally posted by MarTay6
quote:
Originally posted by carlb

Any of these work for you?


I love not only these tunes- but the playing style as well.... can you tell me who is this playing? Is this you? 


Aug 20, 2026 - 11:09:05 AM

4 posts since 4/2/2017

I wish I played that well. All but Brown Mountain Light are done by The Longest Johns. Not sure who you grabbed for BML, but most do that at a faster tempo than I play. I tend to "arrange" stuff as I play, and seldom play tunes the same way twice. I'm not what you'd describe as a "by the book" banjerist.

Aug 21, 2026 - 5:43:24 AM
Players Union Member

carlb

USA

2818 posts since 12/16/2007

quote:
Originally posted by MarTay6
quote:
Originally posted by carlb

Any of these work for you?


I love not only these tunes- but the playing style as well.... can you tell me who is this playing? Is this you? 


Yes, it's me. I find I can play the same melody as I'm singing.

Aug 22, 2026 - 9:39:39 PM

Fathand

Canada

12527 posts since 2/7/2008

Cluck Old Hen
Shady Grove
High on a Mountain

Aug 25, 2026 - 1:21:39 AM

Dowel

UK

85 posts since 2/7/2024

nora browns 'Morning Sun' on youtube...very haunting! and easy enough to learn

Sep 30, 2026 - 7:47:10 AM

4 posts since 3/28/2024

Some great recommendations here! I especially love the slower, haunting, bluesy tunes myself and want to mention or reiterate:

Twin Sister
Elzic's Farewell
Biddy
Pretty Little Cat / Henry Reed's Breakdown
Hell and Scissors
Shades of Death Creek
Shaking down the Acorns
Last Chance
Fine Times at Our House
Elk River Blues
Whiteface
Uncle George Hammons Tune
Black Eyed Suzy

I would also recommend the playing of Adam Hurt, Rachel Eddy, Allison de Groot, and Nora Brown for this flavor specifically (and generally), as others have mentioned.

Sep 30, 2026 - 6:43:49 PM

28 posts since 6/9/2026

I find Lukas Pool's version of Hard Times perfectly haunting.

Also, Tennessee Waltz by Benny Bleu on youtube is as blue as you would want.
youtu.be/uWjmsSvc4-A?si=_uRFHzUPw1Bsfezo

Page:  First Page   1  2

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.46875