Posted by Tim-mater on Saturday, September 27, 2008
A year ago or so I bought a new banjo (Sullivan Greenbrier)... I mean NEW. Not one somebody has broke in for 10 years or so, actually new. It's a really nice instrument, but it has taken a long time to dial it all in. All the things it takes to find the right groove on these things is amazing. After all the adjusting was said and done, I thought I would want to reduce head tension to get some musicality back in the banjo (I had used a stage tuner to get the head to "B"). When I did that I developed a third string rattle (I am getting to the point - trust me)... My Sullivan bridge was really sagging with the looser head. So I replaced it with a Kat Eye. That really worked! I also bought a Drum Dial and tuned the head to the lowest recommended tension per the instructions with the dial, and WOW - actually tuning the head (not just guessing my way through it with a stage tuner) turned my banjo into a real cannon. I finally feel like I have this blamed thing dialed in... Literally!
Be the first to comment
on “Dialing it all in”
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.