Posted by caricc on Thursday, August 7, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008 @1:25:39 PM
A lot of times jams deteriorate into anarchy, which despite it's political popularity in certain quarters is not terribly conducive to good music (which would explain grunge rock, I suppose).
The best way to do a good jam is to have a host who is directive, who specifies some simple rules for the session and doesn't mind putting a hand on someone's shoulder and asking them to tone it down a little.
That's the hosts job. If they don't, it becomes "Clash of the Titanic Egos" in a big hurry.
Thursday, August 7, 2008 @1:33:32 PM
YUP lust play nice........Elwood
Thursday, August 7, 2008 @5:48:29 PM
I agree. We're here to play music. Small talk is fine, but once it gets political, well, that is just no fun. Earlier this year, I attended Breakin' Up Winter, an old-time music event sponsored by the Nashville Old-Time Stringband Association.
A banjo player was there, a fellow from San Francisco, who wanted us to all know that he was an honest-to-God Marxist. Leave it to say, I was not impressed.
Understand about the occasional annointed one. Best to ignore or avoid whenever possible.
Thankfully, most musicians that I run across are pretty thoughtful and respectful.
Thursday, August 7, 2008 @6:15:16 PM
Never gone to a jam at someones house. But we did have a new player at the senior center start in with politics on her first night. We politely ignored her, changed the subject back to music and after two weeks she must have got the hint as she never came back.
Saturday, August 9, 2008 @2:17:14 AM
Yeah, the perfect jam... I think it's impossible because jams are made of human beings and humans are imperfect. At the festival in Risør this year there was a jamming workshop, and in the banjo workshop we got a really clear lecture on musical etiquette from our excellent teacher, Petr Brandejs from the Czech Republic. He said that when he, a master-player, goes to a jam he plays probably about 10% and listens the other 90% We were together in a jam later on that day, and boy did he play classy. It was really clear that he puts the music first. Excellent experience. Another thing was that I was pretty nervous to be sitting in a jam with my teacher there, and while he is a real virtuoso, he never did anything to make me or the other student there look like we were students. Classy guy.
Saturday, August 9, 2008 @10:02:09 PM
Good point, I hope you get to enjoy yourself from now on. Best of luck.
Sunday, August 10, 2008 @7:31:21 PM
The good players just like us poor ones come to play. Yes everyone knows we like to hear really good music but the jams are about sharing not hogging the mic and the stage. I am also with you on the captive audience concept and soap boxes interfering with the whole intent of the jam. Not just polotics but religion as well. The gospel is one thing gospel music is another. Because some may think they are doing their part for the lord in making sure that people hear about him doesn't mean that they will take to the gospel. I will not though that usually because those songs have been around for so long they have every riff or embelishment possible. So if the words weren't there as a sermon for the unchurched it would be really great music. And if a weatherman shows up....just kidding people will visit among themselves so we are bound to hear something other than music. I guess the point is we don't need to hear it from the stage or mic just because everybody has no choice but to hear it.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
'Staghorn' 1 hr