Posted by jrjenks on Tuesday, February 12, 2008
A weekly check-in on the Banjo versus TV project -- J.R.'s resolution to spend more time in 2008 on his banjo than on TV.
Another good lesson this week. Mike brought his fiddle and I used my newfound (and still unsteady) forward-roll-playin' skills to accompany him. He complimented me because I kept the accompaniment rolling even when he took off on a riff.
I used the appropriate terms there -- "accompany" and "accompaniment" -- but I was so pleased with myself that, to my mind, it was a duet.
Also in the last week:
- It was too darned cold on Wednesday to go to the free Folk Fest Kick-Off at University of Chicago, so my banjo and I stayed in our warm apartment.
- I Googled across the Jenks Banjo Band. As far as I can tell, the band's only available recording is a track on the 2002 "Forever Everton" CD, a tribute to the Everton Football Club in Liverpool, Merseyside, England. I listened to the preview and heard a little banjo, but mostly tambourine. Perhaps the lead singer has a Banjo-Tam?
- Shopped at my Banjo Hangout friend Joanchek's new banjo-themed online store: http://www.cafepress.com/eggheadtrivia.
- Studied up on my music theory. Found a handy PDF of the circle of fifths. For a wearable version, see Joanchek's "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" design:
Cute, eh? I ordered one.
- Netflix promised me some recommendations if I rated Best of the Flatt & Scruggs TV Show: Vol. 2, and I did. But instead of a recommendation I got:
Best of the Flatt & Scruggs TV Show: Vol. 2, and I did. But instead of a recommendation I got:
Guess I stumped 'em.
Cross-posted at J.R. Jenks' blog
on “Banjo versus TV: Week 6”
Tuesday, February 12, 2008 @9:36:16 AM
Thanks for your order and the plug, JR! My cafepress site hopefully will fund a new banjo case by thte end of the year, so shop early and often!
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.