Posted by vernob on Thursday, October 18, 2007
The project is finished and the results are good. The banjo sounds great and is very playable. I am very pleased with it. The tenor was a Wurlitzer. Several BHO members offered ideas about who actually made it. Wurlitzer farmed out most of the instruments with their name, other than the organs.One idea was Vega. The rim is maple and has a partial spunover nickel band. It had a skin head, completely dried out and brittle. It was yellow, very near the color of a Ren head so that's the one I used. I have a Fiberskyn head and a calfskin head that I intend to try on the banjo. I bought a Gold Tone neck, the one for the Bob Carlin banjo. I chose it because it was wider and had a frailing scoop. I suppose I could have made a neck, but I just didn't want to do the work. I stripped off its fimish. Too shiny and plastic feeling. I wanted it to match the rim. I rubbed on some tung oil. It doesn't really match. The rim had darkened with age. Oh well, it's chrome dipstick. The banjo is to play. I made a dowel stick for it, having been advised by BHO members. I considered metal rods. I used a No-Knot tailpiece and a 5/8" Snuffy Smith bridge. I started out with a 1/2 Grover bridge. The action was like an electric guitar. The fourth string had some fret noise, so I switched to the 5/8. The action is a little highr than I want so I might take it down a bit. I think I'll widen the spacing too.
I need to get a picture of it up on here. It's already my main player. I still grab the No Name banjo with the Nylguts when I want to hear that tone. The Wurlitzer is brighter and louder. It still has plunk but a just a bit of ring as well.
on “Tenor conversion”
Thursday, October 18, 2007 @10:10:17 AM
I'll look forward to a picture. I have a '23 Vega Regent with a "Wurlitzer" label inside the rim.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.