Posted by d13design on Thursday, April 19, 2012
Don't you hate it when your day job takes up all your spare time :-(
Not too much going on this week but I guess that's good as it helps me to take my time and not rush things. I spent a good bit of time planing and sanding the face of the peghead and the front of the neck where the fret board will go to make sure it's nice and flat. I've also added some ears to the peghead so I can be nice and flexible with the peghead design.
Really not sure what shape to go for - there's plenty of inspiration out there but I'm again not wanting to over-stretch my cutting abilities. I think I'll keep things classic and simple for now and go a bit more elaborate with banjo #2. The same goes for the tuning pegs as well - I think I'll stick cheap-and-cheerful for now leaving room to expand as I become more confident.
The last bit of progress this week is the purchase of a rosewood fingerboard blank that I'll add to the neck before I go much further with the shaping. I was tempted to spend extra and get a ready made fretboard but resisted and will be doing everything myself. After all, one of the aims of this build was to learn some of the skills involved and I guess this will now include inlay and installing fret-wire - all in good time though.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
'My Grandfather's Clock' 52 min
'El Gaucho' 1 hr
'Good Indian' 1 hr
'Washburn B-16 banjo' 5 hrs