Posted by jrjenks on Friday, November 20, 2009
A check-in on the Banjo versus TV project — J.R.'s ongoing plan to spend more time on his banjo than on TV. This post covers 11/08/2009 through 11/14/2009.
The big event of this last week was, of course, Chicago's Second Annual Battle of the Jug Bands at Morseland, organized by Arlo Leach and featuring...
- The Brass Note Jug Band, whom I played with, playing...
- I Can't Dance
- Sun Brimmer's Blues
- Bay Rum Blues
- Feelin' Good
- The Barehand Jug Band, Chicago's busiest jug band, playing...
- What's That Tastes Like Gravy
- T'aint Nobody's Business What I Do
- Cocaine Blues
- Tear It Down
- Strictly Jug Nuts, this year's winners of the coveted sausage grinder trophy, playing...
- Yum Yum Blues
- What's the Matter with the Well?
- One Meatball
- Keep It Clean
- Deep Fried Pickle Project, whom I voted for (Sorry, Brass Notes, but they were great!), playing...
- Tear It Down
- Rubber-Legged Jim
- I Saw Your Picture on the Internet
- Fat Bottomed Girls / I Like Big Butts / Baby Got Back
- The Hump Night Thumpers, my former band that I'm going to go back to some day, playing...
- Walk Right In
- Mobile Line
- KC Moan
- Cocaine Habit Blues
- The Schticklers, Chicago's one-and-only Jewish jug band, playing...
- Coney Island Washboard Roundelay
- Cakewalk Into Town
- Arkansas Traveller
- Gimme Back My Wig
Additional entertainment was provided by our opening act, The Northside Southpaws, who played...
- Kohala March
- Vicksburg Stomp
- Carolina Glide
- Wobble March (medley of Stone Mountain Wobble / Sea March)
- Morning Glory Waltz
- Carbolic Rag
- Old Folks Better Go To Bed
- You're Gonna Quit Me Baby
- Havana River Glide
- Jackson Stomp
...and by Hotfoot Annie, who tapped her way through...
- Nagasaki (accompanied by The Vaudeville Tramp)
- I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy
- Mister Bojangles
- Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag
- Side By Side
...as the votes were counted.
I was pleased with my performance. I held my own in Bay Rum Blues (my first VI-II-V-I song) and I bluesed it through both chords of Feelin' Good (the stage debut of my recently-developed string bending talents).
I also kazooed up a solo for Sun Brimmer's Blues and gutbucketed along with I Can't Dance.
There are gobs of photos at my Flickr set.
Also in the last week:
- Purchased The Grascal's self-titled debut CD...
...because it's got Dolly Parton joining in on Viva Las Vegas.
- Added two songs to my Learning Songs list because I learned 'em for the battle: Bay Rum Blues and Feelin' Good.
Cross-posted at J.R. Jenks' blog
Be the first to comment
on “Banjo versus TV week 89: Chicago's Second Annual Battle of the Jug Bands”
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.