Posted by clawfootcurt on Thursday, April 9, 2009
I just noticed this morning that I have been playing banjo for 3 years now. Observations...
1) A few people that hear me play say how much better my playing is than last year.
2) I don't feel like my playing is any better than last year. There are still lots of days that my fingers don't want to do what they are supposed to do. More years/time playing is what may be needed?
3) I have played with others only once, and it is still kind of a mystery. (no magic happened, what do I do?)
4) I still wonder what it would be like to get further instruction.
5) Sometimes I feel a little more confident around other people in general because I have a skill that sets me apart.
6) 3 years and I can probably count the number of days I have not picked up the banjo and played on one hand.
7) Maybe I should be farther along?, But as I've said before, I'm gonna beat on this thing until I've got it figured out.
Thursday, April 9, 2009 @3:51:23 PM
According to the standard BHO advice you should get an instructor, play with people as often as possible, record yourselpf playing for future reference, and get and use a metronome.
My advice is don't play your banjo while flying the plane or riding the motorcycle.
Congratulations on three years!
Thursday, April 9, 2009 @10:09:25 PM
Keep playing. I'm willing to bet you are better than you were last year. Sometimes we don't feel like we're getting better because we get to hear ourselves all the time and we don't hear the small increases in skill. Lots of time I don't feel like I'm getting any better but intellectually I know I am. I can do things I couldn't do last month or last year. I guess that means I've improved.
Other than that, I agree with jimbowe.
Friday, April 10, 2009 @6:12:57 AM
Don't pack it in (not that you sound too serious about that). Number 6 in your list says it all. Get yourself a teacher and have fortnightly/monthly lessons. That way you will be given definite goals to go after. Get yourself out there to a regular jam or to some festivals and play - it's great fun!
Kevin G Says:
Monday, April 13, 2009 @5:46:08 PM
If you really want to feel good about how far you've come, go back to some of the music you started with. I'm three years in, too, and I picked up the first book I started working in and was able to peel off about half of it in an hour! That book was my first entire year of banjo!
Cheers my friend; keeping going is what it's all about.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
'Gibson TB00 tone ring' 40 min