Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 11, 2026 - 11:35:42 AM
2 posts since 10/11/2026

We own a Bacon & Day tenor banjo Ne plus ultra Silver Bell. We can't find any serial number, but we guess it's a number 6. What we are most puzzled by is the engraving "MAZ" at top of the neck. Does anyone know anything about it?
Grateful for any hint
Simone

edit sorry something went wrong ... photos missing ... little bit overwhelmed in an english-speaking forum but giving my best ;-) I'll try again


 


Edited by - Simone on 10/11/2026 11:47:06

Oct 11, 2026 - 11:40:40 AM
likes this

1107 posts since 5/29/2015

Most of us can barely read, we need photos. Take the resonator off if you have not already. There will typically be serial numbers stamped on the inside of the rim and on the dowel stick. Often the model number is stamped on the dowel holding the neck to the rim.

Oct 11, 2026 - 12:01:02 PM
likes this

2217 posts since 1/13/2012

Quite possibly the initials of the original owner... Bacon did custom work on high end models.

Oct 11, 2026 - 12:02:19 PM

2 posts since 10/11/2026

I'm so sorry, no photos uploaded ... I fixed it in first message!
I'm talking about this ..."MAZ" - dedication? Musician? Manufacturer? Luthier?


 

Oct 11, 2026 - 1:17:22 PM

16812 posts since 10/30/2008

Probably MAZ is a bit of customization, with the owner's initials.

What a prize. You have the "Lion Head" version (another is an elephant head including tusks!) "Ne Plus Ultra" means None Better. I believe that would make it a No. 6. There were none better!

Where are you located?

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.140625