Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 8, 2026 - 1:13:06 PM
4009 posts since 8/30/2012

Thoughts on whether gold plating changes the tone of a banjo, all other things being equal?

Oct 8, 2026 - 1:27:11 PM
like this

RDP

USA

424 posts since 2/27/2009

I don’t think so. But it’s pretty new but wears off as it’s played and loses its luster .

Oct 8, 2026 - 1:32:01 PM
likes this

ChunoTheDog

Canada

2589 posts since 8/9/2019

Lots of authorities on the topic claim that gold plating "sweetens" the tone.

But 99% of the time this is said in the context of an old Mastertone Granada (just ask Charlie Cushman)

My guess would be that it's a "sum of all parts" kinda deal

Oct 8, 2026 - 1:34:36 PM
likes this

martyjoe

Ireland

995 posts since 3/24/2020

If it does it’s going to be minuscule and the only part that where it might make any difference is the tone ring.

Oct 8, 2026 - 1:41:50 PM
likes this

16808 posts since 10/30/2008

All in the ear of the player I guess.

As has been discussed here often, it's nearly impossible to get any two banjos to be identical in build except for the plating.

Oct 8, 2026 - 1:43:09 PM

30143 posts since 6/25/2005

Doubtful—and no way to accurately test it.

Oct 8, 2026 - 2:23:48 PM
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

33270 posts since 8/3/2003

I don't think so. My Stelling is gold plated and it'll hold up against any other banjo of its caliber. Gold plating just makes it look better, at least to me.

As far as it losing its luster, if you keep it clean, it stays nice and bright. I do wear a wrist guard to protect the armrest.

Oct 8, 2026 - 2:37:25 PM
like this

Alex Z

USA

6242 posts since 12/7/2006

Sonny Osborne said in Banjo Newsletter that if you think it improves the tone, then it does improve the tone. 
 

And that's all you need to make a difference to you.  

Edited by - Alex Z on 10/08/2026 14:37:44

Oct 8, 2026 - 4:33:04 PM

714 posts since 7/24/2021
Online Now

Frank and Ricky Neat told me they had some walnut a few years back that sounded fantastic when paired with gold . The arch top Mountain Dr. Frank makes is maple and gold. Frank said he could get closer to the Ralph Stanley “sound” with nickel so I had my Mt.Dr plated in nickel instead of gold . Blind folded … I have no idea .

Oct 8, 2026 - 4:48:57 PM

45 posts since 2/23/2020

I prefer the "patina" that nickel takes on. That said one of the best sounding mastertones I ever heard was faded gold and covered in cigarette ashes.

Oct 8, 2026 - 4:57:26 PM

179 posts since 6/30/2020

A few years ago I removed my nickel ring, stripped the nickel and then had it gold plated. I reinstalled it to the same parameters.

I honestly can't say that I noticed any difference, and I have a pretty keen ear for small changes in tone. However, there was a couple weeks between sound samples so it wasn't a direct comparison and I could have missed some nuance.

Oct 8, 2026 - 5:18:21 PM

Owen

Canada

19843 posts since 6/5/2011
Online Now

My thoughts?  I suppose on a theoretical level it has to change.  On a practical level I suspect the proportion of people who could detect the  change would be infinitely tiny.

And now I think I should defer to our man Todd Snider's expertise:

"Now, I don't know what you believe, but I do know there's no doubt
I need another double-shot of something ninety-proof; I got too much to think about."

Oct 9, 2026 - 3:12:12 AM

5834 posts since 11/20/2004

My opinion is that plating makes a difference. Unplated is best, then gold, nickel, and chrome. The harder the plating, the more difference it makes, is my thinking.

Oct 9, 2026 - 7:13:52 AM
likes this

jt80

USA

59 posts since 2/9/2026

Gold fiddle bows sound/play better than silver fiddle bows sound/play better than nickel bows. But is has nothing to do with metal used.

The bow makers sort the wood. Only best wood with the perfect density and other factors end up getting the gold plated parts. They take more care in the construction of those.

Probably goes the same for hand made banjos. If you're going to spend the money on gold fittings, then you're going to select your best wood and do your best fitting it, because you know your eventual buyer is looking for the best and will be picky.

Factory banjo? It's just a color choice at that point. Probably makes no difference at all. Grab parts out of one bin for a nickle order, out of another for a gold order.

That's my theory at least.

Oct 9, 2026 - 10:42:04 AM

94 posts since 2/12/2023

It is a myth that you can tell the difference between two reasonably good instruments, in a blind test, let alone gold or no-gold.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1953125