DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
Frank and Ricky Neat told me they had some walnut a few years back that sounded fantastic when paired with gold . The arch top Mountain Dr. Frank makes is maple and gold. Frank said he could get closer to the Ralph Stanley “sound” with nickel so I had my Mt.Dr plated in nickel instead of gold . Blind folded … I have no idea .
A few years ago I removed my nickel ring, stripped the nickel and then had it gold plated. I reinstalled it to the same parameters.
I honestly can't say that I noticed any difference, and I have a pretty keen ear for small changes in tone. However, there was a couple weeks between sound samples so it wasn't a direct comparison and I could have missed some nuance.
My thoughts? I suppose on a theoretical level it has to change. On a practical level I suspect the proportion of people who could detect the change would be infinitely tiny.
And now I think I should defer to our man Todd Snider's expertise:
"Now, I don't know what you believe, but I do know there's no doubt
I need another double-shot of something ninety-proof; I got too much to think about."
Gold fiddle bows sound/play better than silver fiddle bows sound/play better than nickel bows. But is has nothing to do with metal used.
The bow makers sort the wood. Only best wood with the perfect density and other factors end up getting the gold plated parts. They take more care in the construction of those.
Probably goes the same for hand made banjos. If you're going to spend the money on gold fittings, then you're going to select your best wood and do your best fitting it, because you know your eventual buyer is looking for the best and will be picky.
Factory banjo? It's just a color choice at that point. Probably makes no difference at all. Grab parts out of one bin for a nickle order, out of another for a gold order.
That's my theory at least.
The closest I have seen as a test of this was on Osborne Chief #001, currently owned by Lincoln Hensley. The first chiefs had nickel hardware. Dale got 001 from Sonny, it was nickel plated, and was played that way by Dale for a period of time with Melvin Goins & Windy Mountain. At one point, Dale saw some of the later chiefs that were gold plated. He contacted Sonny about changing 001 over which Sonny agreed to. Dale and I went to Sonny's house where Sonny took 001 apart on his living room floor and put it back together with the gold parts. To my ear, 001 sounded better after the gold parts were installed than it did with the nickel. Everything else was the same except the hardware. Nickel Huber ring to gold Huber ring but from what I remember there was no difference in the model of the rings. Different fit of the tone ring, looser/tighter, possibly. But whatever it was, it did sound better.
- Wes
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.