Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 7, 2026 - 10:30:34 AM
like this
1610 posts since 8/31/2004

We've all heard of Fantasy Football; I am proposing a new game: Fantasy Bluegrass Band. Here's how it works. You are the banjo player. Pick four bandmates to complete your band. The only limitations are that the band MUST include a guitar player and a bass player. That leaves two other slots available in your band. Pro Tip: Consider vocals as strongly as you consider instrumental prowess. Songwriting ability is a big plus for me.

If they were available in the draft, my picks would be:

Guitar Player/Lead Singer: Paul Brewster

Bass/Vocals: Ronnie Bowman

Mandolin/Vocals: Jimmy Gaudreau

Fiddle: Byron Berline

Oct 7, 2026 - 4:33:33 PM
like this

1994 posts since 4/13/2017

Mandolin/Vocals: Adam Steffey
Fiddle: Aubrey Haynie
Bass: Harold Nixon
Guitar/Vocals: Skip Cherryholmes

Oct 7, 2026 - 4:39:27 PM
like this

Owen

Canada

19841 posts since 6/5/2011

I don't dislike anybody enough* to subject 'em to trying to play in a band with moi.  devil

* however,  if push came to shove I could probably make a few exceptions.

[Now back to regular programming.]

Oct 7, 2026 - 4:54:46 PM

1610 posts since 8/31/2004

quote:
Originally posted by Owen

I don't dislike anybody enough* to subject 'em to trying to play in a band with moi.  devil

* however,  if push came to shove I could probably make a few exceptions.

[Now back to regular programming.]


C'mon Owen, you're missing the point - it's FANTASY Bluegrass Band. You're the banjo player and you can be as good as your favorite banjo player. Just pretend you can play pro-level. Who would you choose to stand on that stage at Bean Blossom with you?

Edited by - Flying Eagle on 10/07/2026 16:55:24

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:06:02 PM

Owen

Canada

19841 posts since 6/5/2011

I dunno Jim... when I look at all the names [this and t'other thread] the one's I don't recognize outnumber the ones I do by a fair bit.... and that's just recognize, not know the instrument.    I can probably fairly reliably recognize Del McCoury's singing, but when it comes to who's playing what instrument ...  oh-nay ay-way. 

Mandolin ... I think I recall Ricky Skaggs and maybe Big Mon??  [Monroe??]

Guitar .... Tony Rice?? [his singing's also pretty good]. 

Bass... dunno.

Fiddle ... dunno [I recognized the name Byron Berline, though wouldn't have been able to link him to fiddle].

I could probably name a "band" from the people I see at jams/festivals around here, and to my ear/mind they sound as good as ___________, and ____________, and _________ .  Tbt, for the most part I couldn't tell the diff.

================================================================================

At one of our [circle, coffee-house style] jams, the MC apologized for not remembering my name.  I replied that in that case she could just call me JD Crowe.  [I think she got my attempt at "funny."]

Edited by - Owen on 10/07/2026 18:15:33

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:59:31 PM
like this

714 posts since 7/24/2021

We’re kicking this thing off with Josh Williams on guitar and vocals, Harry Clark from east nash grass on mandolin and vocals “ he’s amazing “ on fiddle give me Bobby Hicks , and let’s round it off with Roy Husky jr. on bass . No let’s get ta picking !!!

Oct 7, 2026 - 10:24:05 PM
likes this

rockyjo

USA

617 posts since 10/21/2009

Lead Vocal: Linda Ronstadt (The Bluegrass Album)
Backup Vocal: Tina Adair
Guitar/Backup Vocal: Greg Blake
Fiddle: Michael Cleveland
Mando/Backup Vocal: Sierra Hull
Archtop Acoustic Guitar/Backup Vocal: Sarah Jaroscz
Backup Vocal: Buddy Melton
Bass: Larry D. Sparks or Nate Sabat
Banjo/Backup Vocal: Banjo player



(‘Didn’t see the 4 person limit til it was too late…however, this is a Global touring band, so more band members needed.. )

Rockyjo

Oct 8, 2026 - 6:42:39 AM

1610 posts since 8/31/2004

quote:
(‘Didn’t see the 4 person limit til it was too late…however, this is a Global touring band, so more band members needed.. )

Rockyjo

Wrong. The Osborne Bros. toured Europe/Scandanavia with only four and put on a great show. Real bluegrass bands don't have members who don't play an instrument. Linda Ronstadt was a great singer but including her in this context is silly. Plenty of great female bluegrass artists if you that is a necessity for you.

Oct 8, 2026 - 7:32:28 AM
like this

39 posts since 6/8/2015

Basically, my dream band would be Hicks, Lawson…I’ll just say it - the Bluegrass Album Band with me filling in for JD. I can’t imagine a better band (unless JD replaced me, lol)…they were pretty much perfect in my opinion

Oct 8, 2026 - 2:28:11 PM

7123 posts since 3/6/2006

I was imagining a band composed entirely of Justin Moses clones.
We only did instrumentals.

Oct 8, 2026 - 5:22:41 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

19841 posts since 6/5/2011

Oct 8, 2026 - 6:13 PM

714 posts since 7/24/2021

I started to say the 0044 band but the thoughts of “me” taking the banjo away from James Dee Crowe ??? NOPE ! That ain’t no part of nothing . So I’ll stick with my prior group I chose .

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.3984375