Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 6, 2026 - 6:56:45 AM
like this
362 posts since 7/25/2013

Oct 6, 2026 - 7:31:59 AM
likes this

178 posts since 6/30/2020

When you're demonstrating the "G to C lick with slide" you're actually doing a hammer on and not a slide. I've also noticed you sometimes doing hammer-ons where Earl might be doing a slide (like JD would often do).

Do you consider these interchangeable in your mind? Do you always hammer a 2-3 "slide"?

Oct 6, 2026 - 8:03:21 AM
like this

362 posts since 7/25/2013

LouieChee yes I use them somewhat interchangeably, and apparently unconsciously as I demonstrate in the video, sorry!

You're correct that Earl more often slid, and J.D. more often hammered-on. I'll do one or the other if I'm trying to give more of and Earl or Crowe flavor, but my tendency generally is to hammer-on.

Oct 6, 2026 - 10:13:21 AM
likes this

7119 posts since 3/6/2006

Nice, the little things do matter a lot. A reminder that the ultimate model for phrasing is the human voice, and the more “vocal” you can make your playing, the more emotional impact you’re going to project. That little bend before the 2-3 sounds like singing.

Oct 6, 2026 - 10:22:58 AM
likes this

GStump

USA

785 posts since 9/12/2006

We get bogged down at times trying to imitate Earl's right hand. We must remember that much of his "sound" is in fact due to the left hand!! I have come to the conclusion that it's every bit as important as the right hand. The little tricks, and they are NOT tricks at all - The slides, the manner in which the finger moves to the string, and the manner in which the finger "leaves" the string!! - the chokes, the bends, the hammer ons, pull offs, and so many of the other little nuances', these are the things that separate the OBVIOUS pros from beginners and amateurs.... or the Men from the Boys if you will....

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1367188