Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 4, 2026 - 5:59:28 PM
29 posts since 5/27/2010

Your thoughts appreciated on this question. Recently my fifth string comes up and out of the pip while playing. My question is, generally speaking should the string break over the fret, then through the pip? Right now I can fit a piece of paper between the string and fret. No so on my other banjo. The pip may have slight lean backwards also (picture).
I recently added the Gotoh tuner which hits the neck preventing the string from entering pip squarely.
Thanks again for any thoughts!




Edited by - Gene Alger on 10/05/2026 10:34:12

Oct 4, 2026 - 6:09:16 PM

29 posts since 5/27/2010

Here’s the pictures of the pip in question

Oct 4, 2026 - 6:18:11 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

19834 posts since 6/5/2011

So far, here's my thoughts on the pip in the pic:  "________________________________________________________ ."   devil

Edited by - Owen on 10/04/2026 18:19:41

Oct 4, 2026 - 7:45:39 PM
likes this

299 posts since 2/20/2004

You can set up as you please. Generally, you want all strings at a similar plain.
5th string should be close to level with other strings. Of course you can customize as you please.

Oct 5, 2026 - 9:01:13 AM
likes this

1831 posts since 4/13/2009

Some banjos have a tall pip which raises the fifth string to near the height of the other strings while other banjos don't have a pip at all, just a railroad spike that keeps the string on the fret. If you want to fret the fifth string with your thumb, the second approach helps fifth string intonation.

Oct 5, 2026 - 9:15:58 AM
likes this

82543 posts since 5/9/2007

You can make a new pip out of brass to hold the string in place.
A brass pip is easily created by the smooth shank of the right sized brass screw.
Cut off the threads and head of the screw.
File the inside half of the shank's top down to the right height.
The higher outside half will keep the string from moving.

This pic is of a Gold Star gf85.


 

Edited by - steve davis on 10/05/2026 09:25:19

Oct 5, 2026 - 9:22:53 AM
likes this

82543 posts since 5/9/2007

Jimmy Cox cut halfway into the 5th fret to center the pip into the 5th fret for intonation.

Oct 5, 2026 - 10:17:24 AM
likes this

16804 posts since 10/30/2008

Gene, we're not seeing photos of your problem. It would help if we knew what kind of banjo it is.

You "may" have a problem with the positioning of your 5th string tuner, which in turn makes your 5th string much too high in the air above the fingerboard. A photo will reveal that.

Whether you have a pip, or use a nail to hold the string in place, the 5th string tuner has to be positioned to pull the 5th string down (toward the underside of the neck) enough to hold the string in place at either the pip or the nail.

Oct 5, 2026 - 10:57:55 AM

29 posts since 5/27/2010

Thanks, the pictures should be there now. The banjo is an 04 Gibson Earl Scruggs Standard. You may be right about the newer tuner height. (It definitely sticks out more). I’m going to reinstall the old one and check the difference. There was no issue with the old tuner, I only installed it because I got Rickard Cyclone 10:1s. And the new Gotoh 5th is only 4:1 anyway.

So thank you, More to come… Gene

Oct 5, 2026 - 2:20:39 PM
likes this

banjonz

New Zealand

12967 posts since 6/29/2003

There are 2 schools of thought on this matter...
1. the pip slot should be cut deep enough to only be a guide for the string and the string bends over the fret wire.
2. The slot should be cut so that the string site ABOVE the fret wire by about 0.020 " plus or minus. I personally like the string to sit higher than the fret wire but not too high.

I boils down to personal preference.

Oct 5, 2026 - 2:58:16 PM

17742 posts since 6/2/2008

A whole other option is to cut the fifth fret short and install the fifth string pip in line with the fret.

Ode Banjos and I believe original Stellings were made that way.

Oct 5, 2026 - 3:32:54 PM

Dean T

USA

4452 posts since 4/18/2024

Memories. I bought an ESS with a pip like that, that broke within a week or so of getting it. I ordered some pip material (I can’t remember where, possibly Stu Mac) and made a new pip that set the 5th string higher than the fret, but not quite as high as the other strings. I played that banjo for 9 years with that pip, and it’s prolly still out there somewhere playing just fine.

Oct 5, 2026 - 5:26:36 PM
likes this

5381 posts since 10/13/2005

How about inventing a right angle pip that rests on the fifth fret wire such that it keeps intonation up the fifth string? banjered

Oct 5, 2026 - 5:40:47 PM
like this

16804 posts since 10/30/2008

Your "new" 5th peg needs to be rotated counterclockwise a few degrees to pull the end of the 5th string DOWNWARD. It will then have enough "pull" on it to stay firmly in the fifth string pip. Just like the "break angle" of the the strings from the bridge to the tailpiece. You need a "break angle" between the 5th string pip and the barrel of the 5th string tuner.

Pop the 5th string tuner out and reinsert it after rolling it counterclockwise by a couple of splines. The barrel of the 5th string tuner should not be perfectly vertical. It should be tilted back slightly.

Oct 5, 2026 - 6:59:59 PM
likes this

banjonz

New Zealand

12967 posts since 6/29/2003

quote:
Originally posted by banjered

How about inventing a right angle pip that rests on the fifth fret wire such that it keeps intonation up the fifth string? banjered


Deering uses a 'spike' to anchor the 5th string into the fretwire. I personally don't like them because I have seen them pull out of ther fretboard. I even had one do it to me.

Oct 6, 2026 - 7:07:18 AM

Dean T

USA

4452 posts since 4/18/2024

quote:
Originally posted by banjonz
quote:
Originally posted by banjered

How about inventing a right angle pip that rests on the fifth fret wire such that it keeps intonation up the fifth string? banjered


Deering uses a 'spike' to anchor the 5th string into the fretwire. I personally don't like them because I have seen them pull out of ther fretboard. I even had one do it to me.


I definitely prefer the Deering spiked 5th string, to a pip, for intonation, ESPECIALLY when using spikes further up the neck. But... two of my three Deering banjos have had the 5th string spike pull out. One of them I just glued back in. Good to go. On my old Goodtime, the alignment and break angle was sufficient, so I plugged the hole, and just leave the string naturally resting on the fret. 


Edited by - Dean T on 10/06/2026 07:13:37

Oct 6, 2026 - 7:45:25 AM

82543 posts since 5/9/2007

My 2 conversion has the 5th string directly on the end of the 5th fret to the tuner with no pip or spike contact at all.It helps to have the end of the fret flush with the outside edge of the binding to get away with this.
The string hasn't ever slipped off the fret and it notes very well in tune when thumbfretting.

Edited by - steve davis on 10/06/2026 07:46:24

Oct 6, 2026 - 3:17:48 PM

82543 posts since 5/9/2007

I see the 5th string tuner post on my Gold Star is at a similar (nearly square) angle.
It is well-seated in the hole,though...right up to the housing.
I have ground off the deeper grab spline (not on this Goldie) and found a better fit.You could even shorten it if necessary (which it probably isn't) and of course clean up the sharp edges when you're done.
I'm not telling you to do this.I'm just saying steps can be taken if needed.

You can cut into the fret a few thousandths of an inch and create a "nut slot" for the 5th string to ride in.

Choosing the right tool,saw,file would be important.I would grind a hacksaw blade down to .010 - ,012" and cut the slot with that.Shouldn't need many swipes...light touch/masking tape on the fretboard both sides of the fret.Slot only needs to be .010" deep.

Edited by - steve davis on 10/06/2026 15:38:29

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.6601563