Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 3, 2026 - 8:16:23 AM
244 posts since 2/7/2009

A year ago I installed a Ritchie Dotson shoulder strap on my favorite Gibson Mastertone banjo. [Great strap. I no longer spend half my effort keeping the banjo from sliding off my lap. I plan to order another.] The instructions said to run the strap under or behind the tailpiece bolt. I ran the strap over the top not realizing the strap would put undue pressure on the tailpiece bracket that is formed by a 90 degree bend. Eventually, the tailpiece bracket parted at the aforementioned bend. I replaced the tailpiece with a Prucha, but it doesn't say GIBSON on it. The old tailpiece is a clamshell type that came from Gibson in 1975. Could it be repaired by, say, brazing? How reliable would it be. Have a great day and don't break any tailpieces.

Maybe I can save one tailpiece from being harmed.  ; )

Edited by - bnlholic on 10/03/2026 08:26:58

Oct 3, 2026 - 11:03:06 AM
likes this

192 posts since 1/13/2005

Take it to a jeweler that will join the tail piece together.

Oct 3, 2026 - 11:21:38 AM

RB-1

Netherlands

4372 posts since 6/17/2003

My straps are attached to the bracket hooks, the first ones above the center line of the pot.   Nothing  comes anywhere near the tail piece...

Oct 3, 2026 - 11:38:06 AM

7003 posts since 5/29/2011

I would have to see how the strap is made to figure that one out. I have been attaching my straps to the first hook below the tailpiece for over forty years and I've never had one touch the tailpiece bracket or the bolt.

Oct 3, 2026 - 2:43:33 PM

Kevin B

USA

3256 posts since 1/24/2005

I think the strap should be between the tailpiece bolt and the rim.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1279297