Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Page:  First Page   1  2

Oct 6, 2026 - 7:41:20 PM
likes this

7125 posts since 3/6/2006

quote:
Originally posted by RB-1
quote:
Originally posted by Laurence Diehl

Forgive the self promotion but I worked on this Texas style rendition of Sally Johnson many years ago with typical guitar backup. I incorporated some ideas from Mark O’Connor. Audio quality could have been better.


Wonderful would be an understatement. From the first time l heard you playing, I knew you could do things like this.

Hearing you actually pulling this off is a great pleasure!


Thanks old friend. I'll be in Dorset next September but unfortunately Amsterdam will have to wait for another trip. 

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:58:14 AM
likes this

22 posts since 12/5/2021

quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1
quote:
Originally posted by Tractor1

A couple of celtic guys Michael Coleman and Hough Gellispie --made records in the thirties --These seem more similar to Texas Style however their back up was different--

I definitely hear that connection between Texas-style are Irish music, and I've heard Texas fiddlers talk about that connection as well. I think of both styles having very fluid and ornate melodic lines. And to your point about (Appalachian) old-time, I think of that music as being dance music, and agree that it's easier to play a skeletal/driving 3-finger version of many of those melodies. 

Oct 7, 2026 - 6:59 AM

22 posts since 12/5/2021


I definitely hear that connection between Texas-style are Irish music, and I've 

Meant to write "connection between Texas-style AND Irish music"

Page:  First Page   1  2

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1289063