DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
I got to the point of an examination of this --
writing paper in my life has took a downslide in the quality range --it won't absorb a usable amount of ink--the handy pack of bic or bic clone (ballpoints}--has to be ''spun'' to put forth ink ,if at all
So I have been trying to find good paper --typing paper --as it was called--that is -- of a thickness that does not'' wad up "in the printer---dollar store/wally world paper is a disaster and nothing holds ink-
So i am in the process of converting back to pencil and paper--the first hurdle I finally jumped --was a usable pencil sharpener--the ones sold in the five and dime ,ended up with wood torn in chunks and broken lead--the crank on the wall ;did no better
bottom line I ordered a german made but inexpensive( under {10 bucks }2 hole-- made of metal sharpener ,,and it sliced perfect continuous shavings --this morning I have a'' very ample'' supply sharp pencils --
any suggestion on typing paper or similar
peace
Edited by - Tractor1 on 10/02/2026 09:05:54
I expect my "work-around" won't be of much help [unless you're friends with a retired teacher or two].
My wife and I both taught for about 20 years. Sometime after retirement we "went through" our stash of copies of everything we'd saved.... a l-o-t was printed single-sided and I've probably got enough on hand to outlast me.
Fwiw, my wife mucho prefers "new" paper*... sometimes I forget to put "my" paper onto the top of printer tray [most of my printing is songs w/chords], but so far it hasn't led to any violence.
* we don't pay particular attention... I suspect generally WalMart or Staples.... depending on price AND where we happen to be AND whether we remember.... no significant problems to date.
As for sharpening, when I'm at my desk I use a handy-dandy nifty-thrifty STAEDTLER brand two-holer; when I'm away from my desk I generally use my jack knife. Both get 'er done. In the shop I have an old crank-style [probably picked up in a box of stuff at an auction sale]; it works okay, but I haven't bothered to mount it.
I use typing/printer paper from Wallmart all the time when I'm making copies of patterns or printing out songs that I want to learn. I've never had a problem with their paper sluffing off ink or not taking the ink. I've got an inexpensive printer that makes beautiful color and black and white copies on Walmart paper.
I still occasionally use a wood pencil but I'm with Bill: I prefer the mechanical ones.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.