Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Oct 1, 2026 - 11:41:22 AM
like this

Dean T

USA

4381 posts since 4/18/2024
Online Now

I’m doing the same as Tim Foster, with dialing in what I consider a banjo I’ll play to my grave. In the last year, I’ve tried a handful of heads on it. Other than its original frosted head, the only one I really liked is the white suede. It sounded good at home, and band practice, but on a friends video, it just didn’t sound
Iike my banjo. I’m happy with my string choice, and REALLY like the Snuffy compression bridge, and today I went back to the frosted head… and oh la la I got my banjo back!

My head collection includes a 30 year old frosted, two renascence, fiberskin, SkinTone, white suede, and my banjos original frosted that I put back on today. Anything other than frosted seems to take a little sauce out of my banjo.


Edited by - Dean T on 10/01/2026 11:44:04

Oct 1, 2026 - 11:53:07 AM
likes this

324 posts since 8/14/2018

Haha!

Good on you for seeing all of it through, and congratulations on successfully dialing it in!

Sounds like you had to take the long road to get there, but there’s something noble about going through the motions via a methodical “leave no stone unturned” approach… at least I think so.

Gotta be a lot less of those nagging “what ifs” in the back of your mind… plus the accumulated wisdom of hearing those changes over time in a concrete way.

I mean, my wife would say it’s all a waste of time lol. But I get it and applaud ya!

And I'll have to give one of those snuffy's a try sometime

Edited by - TimFoster on 10/01/2026 11:55:26

Oct 1, 2026 - 11:57:32 AM
likes this

banjonz

New Zealand

12960 posts since 6/29/2003

You are fortunate to be in the USA where heads are readily available. Importing heads from the US involves both the exchange rate and shipping. I get mine from Bob Smakula in bulk for my repair business and for myself. Not sure what i am going to do when Bob retires next tear.

Oct 1, 2026 - 4:48:19 PM

Dean T

USA

4381 posts since 4/18/2024
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by banjonz

You are fortunate to be in the USA where heads are readily available. Importing heads from the US involves both the exchange rate and shipping. I get mine from Bob Smakula in bulk for my repair business and for myself. Not sure what i am going to do when Bob retires next tear.


What? Bob is retiring? I get stuff from him too! 

Oct 1, 2026 - 5:06:55 PM
likes this

Dean T

USA

4381 posts since 4/18/2024
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by TimFoster


...Gotta be a lot less of those nagging “what ifs” in the back of your mind… plus the accumulated wisdom of hearing those changes over time in a concrete way.

...I mean, my wife would say it’s all a waste of time lol. But I get it and applaud ya!

...And I'll have to give one of those snuffy's a try sometime


I'm a retired jet enjine mechanic... I NEED something to tinker with! And it's always nice to know for sure, than to loose sleep at night wondering how different things might work. Sometimes it can be counter intuitive. Like string gauges. I've been suprised at heavier strings sounding dead, and lighter strings surprisingly powerful. My wife actually understands, as she is a seemstress, and always experimenting with her sewing machine collection, and projects. Keeps us happy and busy! 
 

Definately try a SS compression bridge. I tried a lot of boutique bridges in the past, and stopped all that when the smile bridge came out. It beat them all. Not necessarily for tone, but for playability and not sagging. But the slight radius of the SSCC bridge improves the playability even more, and the tone smokes the smile. 

Oct 1, 2026 - 5:29:46 PM

43 posts since 2/23/2020

quote:
Originally posted by Dean T

I’m doing the same as Tim Foster, with dialing in what I consider a banjo I’ll play to my grave. In the last year, I’ve tried a handful of heads on it. Other than its original frosted head, the only one I really liked is the white suede. It sounded good at home, and band practice, but on a friends video, it just didn’t sound
Iike my banjo. I’m happy with my string choice, and REALLY like the Snuffy compression bridge, and today I went back to the frosted head… and oh la la I got my banjo back!

My head collection includes a 30 year old frosted, two renascence, fiberskin, SkinTone, white suede, and my banjos original frosted that I put back on today. Anything other than frosted seems to take a little sauce out of my banjo.


Oct 1, 2026 - 5:37:49 PM

43 posts since 2/23/2020

Hey Dean, glad to hear you found your sound. I've busted a few heads over the years on my Ibanez. Is that a no hole tone ring? And also the goo gone. What do you use that for? I've always been leery of that stuff around my instruments because of the solvent content. (Used it some around the house when the kids were small).

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1171875