DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
I weighed both my BG banjos this morning (1970's Tokai Hummingbird & 2005 Gold Star GF 85) and each came in at around 5.5kg/12.12Lbs
I have had an assortments of banjos over the years (2 x Gibson Mastertone's, Baldwin ODE Style D, Ibanez Artists and a few other Asian ones) and cannot remember just how heavy they were. I am 73 and find these to be beasts to carry. I now use modified Neotech straps ( with the wider pad).
I see videos and photos of players playing Gibson Mastertone's etc and using very narrow straps.
Are these ones much lighter or they players don't mind the weight?
I have narrow straps on any banjo I only transport in a hard case. I do mind the weight on my shoulder but it’s a trade off between comfort and the hassle of trying to cram a wider strap into a case. My festival banjo has a wide strap for long periods of standing and goes into a gig bag where space is less an issue.
There are a number of modern lighter weight banjos out there these days. You’ll likely get different volume and tone than what you’re used to with your 12 pounders but they’re still banjos and many of them are still great high end builds. For folks playing on stage through a pickup, the difference in sound between a heavy and lighter banjo is going to be minimal so it’s certainly possible some of the ones you’ve seen are the lighter builds but there are probably also a number of folks that just tolerate the weight like me so they can fit their favorite banjo into the case.
I like my old "Blue Note" strap with its 3 1/4" width and the heavy-duty plastic attaching clips.
It crushes down easily and fits inside the case.The wide padded shoulder part is sewn onto a 2" wide lifting strap.
Very light weight and very strong.
I use 550 nylon twine as a cradle on all my banjos and the Blue note strap clips onto the banjo I feel like playing.
I only own the one strap.
I have a variety of straps, the easiest to work with in casing a banjo is the NeoTech strap. I have one on an open back and I use Mule Pull Tape or Lumber Yard Packing strap as the cradle. That stuff is very thin and very strong, it travels nicely thru all the hardware and when superglued into a loop has not failed me yet. I use it as the basic cradle on several banjos. If you want to re fit, cut it off and redo it. Cheap, plentiful, and if you look around it is all over new construction jobs' trash piles. Your local lumber yard would probably give you some for free. Mule Pull Tape can be bought on line or ask your local lineman for some.
quote:
Originally posted by 8stringI have narrow straps on any banjo I only transport in a hard case. I do mind the weight on my shoulder but it’s a trade off between comfort and the hassle of trying to cram a wider strap into a case. My festival banjo has a wide strap for long periods of standing and goes into a gig bag where space is less an issue.
The Neotech straps are quite flexable
There are a number of modern lighter weight banjos out there these days. You’ll likely get different volume and tone than what you’re used to with your 12 pounders but they’re still banjos and many of them are still great high end builds. For folks playing on stage through a pickup, the difference in sound between a heavy and lighter banjo is going to be minimal so it’s certainly possible some of the ones you’ve seen are the lighter builds but there are probably also a number of folks that just tolerate the weight like me so they can fit their favorite banjo into the case.
The Neotech straps are quite flexible. Mine wrap around the rim on top of the flange and when the case lid closes, it pushes down on the strap pad. Not a problem.
I bought one of Jim Mills' "Early Earl" straps. VERY narrow, but it's what Earl used in the 1950s as shown in many photos and some album covers.
It feels fine for use over the right shoulder -- doesn't want to slip as much as a wider strap. Narrow width means better traction, like Volkswagen Beetle tires in snow.
Re.: "....players don't mind the weight?"
My two banjos are about 8.5 and 13.5 lbs. I'm like Steve ^^ ... one strap* with quick-release buckles.
* A LEVY'S M8 .... hafta make sure my collar is inbetween; if not occasinally it'll catch a hair on my neck [gets my attention pretty quick, I tells ya]. I pounded on it and flexed it around a square dowel a while back to "soften" it, but apparently it can use some more.
But, but, but I solved (?) the issue w.r.t. weight by sitting down. ![]()
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.