Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 29, 2026 - 12:53:40 PM
like this
17730 posts since 6/2/2008

OB-175 - gloss mahogany companion to OB-150

This just arrived in my email and I had to check it out. Gold Tone has just done with its OB150 (which was actually its first step in upping its game even before the Twanger) what Recording King did when it launched the RK-36 as a companion to the RK-35.

Gold Tone's new OB-175 is a gloss mahogany version of its close relative matte maple OB-150. Thanks to inflation and tariffs, it's  a $1400 instrument (case included). But so is a new RK-35 if you can find one.

In the past month, Gold Tone revamped its lineup at the $1000 rim shoes and tone hoop level, with the redesigned BG-150F to to go along with the previously released BG-175F.

In between these, Gold Tone offers the $1100 OB100, modeled on the original RB100: 3-ply rim, one-piece flange, brass tone hoop.

I'm not in the market. But for those who are, it's a great time to be a banjo buyer. Especially someone looking for a step up from any beginner instrument.

Note: I have no connection to Gold Tone. I just like what they're doing these days.

Edited by - Old Hickory on 09/29/2026 13:02:20

Sep 29, 2026 - 2:26:44 PM

239 posts since 8/20/2025

Aside from the wood and exterior finish, notably, the 150 (standard) neck is 1-3/16" and the 175 is currently only offered in 1-5/16". The 150 does offer "wide neck" model that is 1-5/16"

And for reference, the twanger is right in between at 1-4/16".

Sep 29, 2026 - 5:06:28 PM

4155 posts since 12/31/2005

The sample video they posted sounds amazing

Sep 29, 2026 - 6:11:56 PM
Players Union Member

Hess

USA

19 posts since 3/6/2024

I agree, Gold Tone is doing some very interesting work. I think recently bought a used OB-Bela and after a good set up, the sound and feel is great! I didn’t think I would like Gold Tone banjos, but they speak for themselves.

Sep 29, 2026 - 7:00:04 PM

17730 posts since 6/2/2008

I didn't read all the specs, so I totally missed the wider nut. That's really interesting.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1035156