Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 29, 2026 - 8:52:13 AM

Tuedelband

Germany

134 posts since 7/27/2021

When I see something like that, I could start crying.

https://reverb.com/de/item/102268527-1900s-english-fretless-5-string-banjo

Sep 29, 2026 - 9:48:14 AM
likes this

Owen

Canada

19814 posts since 6/5/2011
Online Now

I'm not "in the loop" ..... tears of joy??

Sep 29, 2026 - 10:27:23 AM

373 posts since 12/2/2025

This 'specialist' seller has the date of manufacture out by at least a decade. The banjo was made c.1882-1895. Not exactly a great advert for their business when that information is so easily available.

Are we to assume the OP’s upset is the price? If it is, I hope for his own wellbeing he doesn’t start looking at vintage banjos on eBay. Some of the crazy asking prices there might cause him a complete breakdown ;-)

If he’s looking for a fine vintage English fretless the good news that should dry his tears is that they can be acquired for less, particularly if he's prepared to learn how to do any necessary renovation. Basics would be replacing a damaged or missing skin head, and making a copy of a period bridge. A little more involved is repairing the splits that are often found in fingerboards that have dried out and replacing missing inlay. It's very satisfying to contribute to bringing these lovely banjos back to playable condition.

Edited by - EEB on 09/29/2026 10:41:39

Sep 29, 2026 - 10:43:15 AM
likes this

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

As well as the price, I think it may be the removal of the frets to create a 'scoop'. If that is an original design feature, it's not one I've ever seen before. Thoughts?

Sep 29, 2026 - 2:59:23 PM

373 posts since 12/2/2025

quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

As well as the price, I think it may be the removal of the frets to create a 'scoop'. If that is an original design feature, it's not one I've ever seen before. Thoughts?


I only gave the link a very quick look and missed the scoop. You're right. A butchered vintage fingerboard on a banjo never intended for clawhammer (implying there is further butchery). What a shame.

Sep 30, 2026 - 2:58:29 AM

Tuedelband

Germany

134 posts since 7/27/2021

quote:
Originally posted by EEB
quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

As well as the price, I think it may be the removal of the frets to create a 'scoop'. If that is an original design feature, it's not one I've ever seen before. Thoughts?


I only gave the link a very quick look and missed the scoop. You're right. A butchered vintage fingerboard on a banjo never intended for clawhammer (implying there is further butchery). What a shame.

 

 


That's exactly what I mean.

They're antiques, and they should be preserved just as they are.

If you're going to make changes, do it right—

for example, build a new neck and preserve the old one, as has been done with many tenors.


Well, I don't want to criticize the dealer, but rather the craftsman.

 

After seeing that yesterday, I actually had to vent a little, which is why I posted this—thank you for your understanding.

Sep 30, 2026 - 4:24:59 AM

ALCO

UK

86 posts since 11/30/2023

This, from the sale dealer, is a beautifully crafted ruination of a very fine 7 string banjo.

reverb.com/uk/item/100787758-1...ing-banjo

Bravo!!

Sep 30, 2026 - 5:38:19 AM

373 posts since 12/2/2025

quote:
Originally posted by ALCO

This, from the sale dealer, is a beautifully crafted ruination of a very fine 7 string banjo.

reverb.com/uk/item/100787758-1...ing-banjo

Bravo!!


It gets worse. That is horrific. Every high quality beautifully made vintage English banjo through his hands is being ruined by this vandal.

Edited by - EEB on 09/30/2026 05:39:14

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0703125