Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 29, 2026 - 6:11:01 AM
2 posts since 9/29/2026
Online Now

I just got a banjo back in December and started working through the video that came included with it, but then found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to practice until now.

I'd like to get some in person feedback so I dont learn bad habits. Unfortunately I've found a lot of websites that don't have accurate search results based on location or one im pretty sure just stole my data. I'm in the norfolk Chesapeake virginia area and so far can't find teachers less than 2 hours from me. If anyone has any recommendations of where to look I'd appreciate it.

I did check out the lessons section here and everyone is too far away from what I saw.

Sep 29, 2026 - 6:41:25 AM

17150 posts since 12/2/2005

Welcome aboard, David! You're making the right call looking for lessons.

You might already know about it, but if not: the Tidewater Bluegrass Society  is in your neck of the woods. Appears they have jams throughout your area. Suggest you reach out to them - if there are any local teachers, they may just know about them. And if you go to a jam and hear someone who impresses you, you might inquire as to whether they'd be willing to help.

Sep 29, 2026 - 6:46:53 AM

5404 posts since 3/28/2008

quote:
Originally posted by secondfiddle

I just got a banjo back in December and started working through the video that came included with it, but then found myself in a situation where I wasn't able to practice until now.

I'd like to get some in person feedback so I dont learn bad habits. Unfortunately I've found a lot of websites that don't have accurate search results based on location or one im pretty sure just stole my data. I'm in the norfolk Chesapeake virginia area and so far can't find teachers less than 2 hours from me. If anyone has any recommendations of where to look I'd appreciate it.

I did check out the lessons section here and everyone is too far away from what I saw.


Online lessons are not a full substitute for in-person lessons, but if you can't find someone locally, feel free to send me a message privately.

https://www.iragitlin.com/music-instruction

Sep 29, 2026 - 6:56:36 AM
like this

4723 posts since 7/12/2006

I live in chesapeake va. In great bridge

I give lessons. Give me a shout

757 650 2768

Edited by - stanleytone on 09/29/2026 06:57:50

Sep 29, 2026 - 7:58:55 AM

2 posts since 9/29/2026
Online Now

quote:
Originally posted by eagleisland

Welcome aboard, David! You're making the right call looking for lessons.

You might already know about it, but if not: the Tidewater Bluegrass Society  is in your neck of the woods. Appears they have jams throughout your area. Suggest you reach out to them - if there are any local teachers, they may just know about them. And if you go to a jam and hear someone who impresses you, you might inquire as to whether they'd be willing to help.


Oh I completely forgot about them!  I found them when I was looking for jams because I play fiddle.  Then I got put on night shifts so i never got to participate crying

Thanks for reminding me about them!

Edited by - secondfiddle on 09/29/2026 07:59:31

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.078125