Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Did I really just buy a Washburn 411 serial #133 from the 1890s?

Sep 28, 2026 - 9:35:34 PM

Lexi_

USA

1 posts since 9/28/2026
Online Now

Hi y'all! I'm a K-8 school music and guitar teacher and mom with two little boys and a rock band history, but a lifelong love of gospel, country, blues, bluegrass, etc.

I have gathered quite the collection of string instruments from antique stores and online over the years and am adequate at them. I've always wanted to play banjo but have been quite intimidated.... I've never purchased one but yesterday I finally did! Who knowsssss if it's going to be playable or practical but by golly I knew it was special when I saw it. I paid $257. The shop owner told me a bit about the previous owners, a gentleman and his wife who were folk musicians and played a lot starting in the 50/s and 60s. He passed away more than a decade ago, but she remained an active musician and is still alive.


After some research, including perusing some truly wonderful and helpful previous posts in this amazing forum, I'm very cautiously going to ask if this is what I think it is. I'm embarrassed about potential getting schooled for being way off the mark haha.

Is this a Washburn 411 from approx 1892? Am I nutso?

I don't have the Hubert Pleijsier Pre-War Washburn instruments book, but I've gathered bits and pieces of his research and relevant information online. However, there aren't many photos of these floating around online.

Any interest in chatting about this neat find?

Thanks!!!

-Lexi

P.S. If photos don't post here for some reason, they're in the Banjo Sept '26 folder on my profile


Edited by - Lexi_ on 09/28/2026 22:12:38

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.1328125