Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 28, 2026 - 1:23:44 PM
613 posts since 10/21/2009

Hi,

Who does excellent work on bringing a Gibson RB250 back to life, and some work on a similar Epiphone?

The RB250 needs some lacquer repair (missing chunks), may need to stabilize part of the rim, possibly smooth down the fretboard from light wood divots (which would be a refret), or fret dress, and obviously a full set up. I want to get the Epi checked about getting rid of the neck shims!

The few luthiers that come to mind who have long time Gibson banjo expertise are either known for their work on pre-wars, and must be priced appropriately for that work, or retired. There must be excellent craftspeople who are more reasonably priced and “under the radar”…

So I’d appreciate your help!

Thank you,
Rockyjo

Sep 28, 2026 - 2:16:19 PM
likes this

30133 posts since 6/25/2005

Cost: Luthiers need to earn a living. So you may not find competent work at your idea of a “reasonable” price. About 4 years ago, I had a SilverBell renecked by a top-end shop. Shop time was $60/hr., which I thought was very reasonable. That’ likely $ 75-80 now, given inflation. Start asking local players about Denver banjo repairers. A metro area lke that should have one or two who are quite capable of doing the work you need. Note too that not having to ship your banjo(s) would save you $200+ at least.

Sep 28, 2026 - 3:08:59 PM

rockyjo

USA

613 posts since 10/21/2009

Thanks, Bill.
While Denver is certainly large enough to have a lot of luthiers, I don’t think anyone gets vintage Gibson banjos through regularly from owners looking for the traditional bluegrass banjo sound, or matching the oem finish used either. We’re more of a progressive bluegrass area. Hence, my question.
Rockyjo

Sep 28, 2026 - 4:09:51 PM

plars

USA

306 posts since 11/26/2007

John Ramsey in CO Springs is the man for Gibson banjo stuff if you can get him to accept the job. He is mostly retired at this point but will take on selective things I believe. Not sure of the best way to get in touch with him at this point unfortunately….

Another option is the team at Woodsongs in Boulder. They do good work but seem to be booked out several months last I checked.

Sep 28, 2026 - 6:17:33 PM

rockyjo

USA

613 posts since 10/21/2009

I hadn’t thought of John Ramsey; as you said, I thought he was retired. Woodsongs is well regarded; I don’t know about their bluegrass cred.

I feel like unless the person knows the sound he’s shooting for, it’s not going to get there. So I pretty much expect the person will be in a deeply trad bluegrass area of the country, or moved from there.

Rockyjo

Sep 29, 2026 - 4:31:32 PM

4106 posts since 9/21/2009

If you don't mind shipping, John Boulding is very good and very experienced in working on and playing blugrass banjo. He is in Mt. Airy N.C!

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.5898438