DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
Hi,
Who does excellent work on bringing a Gibson RB250 back to life, and some work on a similar Epiphone?
The RB250 needs some lacquer repair (missing chunks), may need to stabilize part of the rim, possibly smooth down the fretboard from light wood divots (which would be a refret), or fret dress, and obviously a full set up. I want to get the Epi checked about getting rid of the neck shims!
The few luthiers that come to mind who have long time Gibson banjo expertise are either known for their work on pre-wars, and must be priced appropriately for that work, or retired. There must be excellent craftspeople who are more reasonably priced and “under the radar”…
So I’d appreciate your help!
Thank you,
Rockyjo
Cost: Luthiers need to earn a living. So you may not find competent work at your idea of a “reasonable” price. About 4 years ago, I had a SilverBell renecked by a top-end shop. Shop time was $60/hr., which I thought was very reasonable. That’ likely $ 75-80 now, given inflation. Start asking local players about Denver banjo repairers. A metro area lke that should have one or two who are quite capable of doing the work you need. Note too that not having to ship your banjo(s) would save you $200+ at least.
Thanks, Bill.
While Denver is certainly large enough to have a lot of luthiers, I don’t think anyone gets vintage Gibson banjos through regularly from owners looking for the traditional bluegrass banjo sound, or matching the oem finish used either. We’re more of a progressive bluegrass area. Hence, my question.
Rockyjo
John Ramsey in CO Springs is the man for Gibson banjo stuff if you can get him to accept the job. He is mostly retired at this point but will take on selective things I believe. Not sure of the best way to get in touch with him at this point unfortunately….
Another option is the team at Woodsongs in Boulder. They do good work but seem to be booked out several months last I checked.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.