Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 26, 2026 - 1:16:07 PM
606 posts since 10/21/2009

Hi,

I’ve read other posts here on delaminating rims and regluing the separations with Titebond or hide glue, but haven’t seen them address my questions.

I’m referring in this post to a 50s-‘60s 3 ply, full thickness Gibson (appears to be oem) rim where the outside edge is delaminating in 2 places, 1 of those has a slightly protruding edge.

Generally speaking, are they worth trying, or paying a luthier, to reglue to save them, or are they done?

Anyone have first hand experience of if there is a change in sound or volume, etc, from a vintage Gibson rim that has been repaired/reglued? (We’re adding glue, after all, and some options are sawdust with glue, or “bulky” glue.)

If one decides to replace the rim, is there a value in the marketplace to these “as is” delaminated rims, if so, what are they worth?

I realize that ultimately the extent of the delamination and a luthier’s hands-on may determine action taken, I’m just trying to get an idea at this point if there’s a fairly obvious, rather consensus response for which way this is likely to go.

Also, as nerdy detailed as we all are, I don’t recall ever reading a post like, “I really like this banjo I’m thinking of buying, but I see it’s had some repair (reglued) rim delamination, and so I’m not sure about buying it, and also don’t know what it’s worth given that repair..”. Is that a concern for repairing a rim in a banjo one owns with respect to what resale might be? Or do those repairs usually not even show? (Obviously it’s better to repair or replace it if it rattles, this one doesn’t.)

Thanks for your thoughts..

Rockyjo

Sep 26, 2026 - 3:20:48 PM
likes this

16775 posts since 10/30/2008

I've never heard of a reglued/delaminated Gibson of any kind.

Do you have photos of your rim?

I know Gibson used to inlet shallow strips of maple in the BOTTOM edge of rims where the laminations didn't "look" good. Making the easily noticed "5" or "6" ply looking rim.

Sep 26, 2026 - 4:46:55 PM

roydsjr

USA

896 posts since 5/17/2007

I have used clamps on a prewar rim where it was separating a little and worked some titebond down in it and clamped it closed and it seemed to work fine for me. I have done that to a few Recording King rims too! I couldn't tell any difference in tone. But that could be debatable by other people.

Sep 26, 2026 - 5:46:03 PM

5833 posts since 11/20/2004

I have reglued a few 20's and 30's rims satisfactorily in my opinion. The severity is an issue. The problem comes when you clamp it together at the split and the ends of the split extends on around. If the wood has swelled, it is hard to compress back to size. If you can clamp back to original position, it is worth doing in my opinion. I expect hide glue is best on the old rims. I don't know if it was still used in the 50's era, but CA glue works, if you are not opposed to it.

Sep 28, 2026 - 12:41:52 PM

rockyjo

USA

606 posts since 10/21/2009

Thank you for your comments. I’ve heard that it may not be as bad as I thought it was, so I’m going to look into getting it repaired, or possibly doing it myself. Really appreciate hearing about DIY and that it turned out well!
Rockyjo

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.0859375