Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 26, 2026 - 11:32:54 AM
like this
7106 posts since 3/6/2006

Sep 26, 2026 - 2:05:13 PM
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

33235 posts since 8/3/2003

Great tune, catchy melody, played beautifully.

Thanks for posting. I enjoyed listening.

Sep 26, 2026 - 3:20:15 PM

6999 posts since 5/29/2011

Laurence, your playing amazes me. I like the sound of that. Jazz, Swing, Dixieland, a touch of Ragtime, a little bit of Big Band, and a whole lot of soul.

Edited by - Culloden on 09/26/2026 15:21:09

Sep 26, 2026 - 4:04:36 PM

GMB

USA

486 posts since 5/29/2009

I hear this as a duet with you and Chet Atkins. Really enjoyed your playing!

Sep 27, 2026 - 3:25:06 AM

4721 posts since 7/12/2006

Thats just plain smooooooth!

Sep 27, 2026 - 9:41:27 AM
likes this

7106 posts since 3/6/2006

Texasbanjo thank you very much Sherry!
Culloden wow thank you Mark! I guess as we get older and our technique starts to suffer, we can balance it out by playing more from the heart.
GMB Thanks so much Jerry! Yeah, I bet Chet would rip on this.
stanleytone thanks Gary! Getting it smooth is what I spend all my time doing - glad it seemed that way to you.

Sep 27, 2026 - 11:54:06 AM

190 posts since 1/13/2005

Great rendition Laurence but I noticed your pinky finger nail was too long. Ha ha bet I made you look.

Sep 28, 2026 - 11:27:12 AM
likes this

364 posts since 12/2/2025
Online Now

Really nice Laurence.

The modern banjo sound is disproportionately skewed toward either an indistinct torrent of notes or an unimaginative rhythmic thump. An unrelenting style-diet of either can become monotonous and lack individuality.

What sparkles from your playing is the measured musicality. Beautiful phrasing, pacing and space (as opposed to simply ‘pace’) that actually demonstrate what the banjo is capable of when not restricted by rigid adherence to stylistic convention.

And yet unmistakably, you still sound like you're playing a banjo. 

Edited by - EEB on 09/28/2026 11:33:29

Sep 28, 2026 - 1:25:16 PM

7106 posts since 3/6/2006

quote:
Originally posted by banjobob36

Great rendition Laurence but I noticed your pinky finger nail was too long. Ha ha bet I made you look.


smiley

Sep 28, 2026 - 1:38:35 PM

7106 posts since 3/6/2006

quote:
Originally posted by EEB

Really nice Laurence.

The modern banjo sound is disproportionately skewed toward either an indistinct torrent of notes or an unimaginative rhythmic thump. An unrelenting style-diet of either can become monotonous and lack individuality.

What sparkles from your playing is the measured musicality. Beautiful phrasing, pacing and space (as opposed to simply ‘pace’) that actually demonstrate what the banjo is capable of when not restricted by rigid adherence to stylistic convention.

And yet unmistakably, you still sound like you're playing a banjo. 


That's very kind of you- I appreciate your critique!

As we're talking about space, that is probably what I struggle with most. The "creative use of silence" (quoting myself ) must be quite underrated because you don't come across it that often, yet it is so effective when you do. 
 

I probably won't be performing John Cage's 4:33 anytime soon, but he is a terrific role model! 

Sep 28, 2026 - 8:48:09 PM

804 posts since 2/15/2015

Thoroughly enjoyable
Thank you

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.125