Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Sep 25, 2026 - 3:28:09 PM
likes this
64 posts since 3/10/2012

Is it just me, or does anyone else experience a lot of crickets from sellers? I feel like it's about 50/50 for me lately. Either the seller responds within or a couple of hours, or he/she never responds to numerous messages; that's been my experience for the past few months.
Just curious.

Sep 25, 2026 - 3:51:58 PM
like this

4159 posts since 12/31/2005

There have been issues with emails sent through the site. It has been hit-or-miss. I wish all sellers would post in "Swap Shop: Buy, Sell, Trade" forum (which, btw, gives you free visibility on the front page under new posts). That way you can reply in that forum with "PM sent." That at least alerts the seller of your interest in case the email didn't go through.

Sep 25, 2026 - 4:58:03 PM
likes this

KCJones

USA

4009 posts since 8/30/2012

If you mark something as sold, you get asked to pay a fee. If you let it sit and expire, you don't.


When a seller doesn't respond, I always assume the banjo is already sold.

Sep 25, 2026 - 8:11:08 PM

64 posts since 3/10/2012

Aah, interesting. Thanks for that insight.

Sep 25, 2026 - 9:09:54 PM
like this

714 posts since 7/24/2021

The hangout is a platform that helps us sell our merchandise. Yes there is a fee but it’s a relative small percentage. Ive sold several items through the hangout , some big items like banjos and some smaller stuff as well . I’m not going to lie , I kinda flinch when it comes to paying the hangout for the use of its platform, but I always , always pay . Why ? It’s what’s right and it our obligation to honor the system we have in place . So when you sell an item , go ahead and figure the hangout fees prior to listing and include them in your price, if that’s an issue . Whatever it takes . It could get to a place to where we have to pay a fee before we can even list an item . I hope not . As Lester and Earl said .. Don’t let your deal go down !

Sep 26, 2026 - 4:11:23 AM
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

33272 posts since 8/3/2003

There could be many reasons why a seller doesn't respond. He (or she) could be on vacation, at a festival, the mail could go in his spam post and, as said above, it could already been sold.

I posted 2 clickable links this morning to 2 different classified ads. They posted in the swap shop, but no URL to the merchandise. I hope that helps the seller and the buyer.

Sep 26, 2026 - 9:34:29 AM
like this

17746 posts since 6/2/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Will Frady

I’m not going to lie , I kinda flinch when it comes to paying the hangout for the use of its platform, but I always , always pay . Why ? It’s what’s right and it our obligation to honor the system we have in place . 


That's it right there. It's the rule we agree to by posting an ad:

"The classifieds system is funded by sellers. Payment of the lesser of 2% or $75 is required on items sold using the classifieds system."

This means the fee is never going to be more than $75. That's 2% of $3,750.  Sell a banjo for $4,500, and your $75 fee is 1.67%. 

Where can you advertise to such a specific audience for less?

Edited by - Old Hickory on 09/26/2026 09:35:41

Sep 26, 2026 - 10:06:52 AM
like this

4159 posts since 12/31/2005

This is why I have advocated for membership requirement to post an ad. The site could give a credit to discount or make a transaction per year free. But there are too many people trying to dodge the fee, and they contribute nothing to keeping this site going.

Sep 26, 2026 - 11:41:39 AM
like this

Wayne V

USA

1 posts since 1/11/2014

2 % is a bargain. If you sold to a dealer you would get maybe 50% of market value. Sell on consignment and you will probably be charged at least 20%. Support the hangout.

Sep 26, 2026 - 12:23 PM
likes this

17746 posts since 6/2/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Wayne V

Sell on consignment and you will probably be charged at least 20%.


Yes, "least."

Up to 30%. Plus expenses in some cases.

Sep 26, 2026 - 1:23:56 PM
like this

64 posts since 3/10/2012

quote:
Originally posted by Old Hickory
quote:
Originally posted by Will Frady

I’m not going to lie , I kinda flinch when it comes to paying the hangout for the use of its platform, but I always , always pay . Why ? It’s what’s right and it our obligation to honor the system we have in place . 


That's it right there. It's the rule we agree to by posting an ad:

"The classifieds system is funded by sellers. Payment of the lesser of 2% or $75 is required on items sold using the classifieds system."

This means the fee is never going to be more than $75. That's 2% of $3,750.  Sell a banjo for $4,500, and your $75 fee is 1.67%. 

Where can you advertise to such a specific audience for less?


I couldn't agree more. Ain't right to use the service and not pay for it. Just to stir the pot, I feel the same way about people asking you to use "friends and family" on Paypal. Believe me, I'm no fan of that company for several reasons, but if you're going to use it (and I do), it's not cricket to not pony up the fees. Just my opinion; that and twelve bucks will get you a small coffee at any popular Seattle chain location.

Sep 26, 2026 - 3:21:44 PM

39 posts since 6/8/2015

I’ve reached out on here and the unofficial Martin forum with zero replies

Sep 26, 2026 - 7:43:47 PM
likes this

17746 posts since 6/2/2008

quote:
Originally posted by PineyWoods
I feel the same way about people asking you to use "friends and family" on Paypal. Believe me, I'm no fan of that company for several reasons, but if you're going to use it (and I do), it's not cricket to not pony up the fees. 

And I agree here.

But my issue with Friends & Family is not that I object to the seller saving fees (which I do, because, like you, I think if you're going to use electronic funds transfer then build that cost of doing business into the price you'll accept).

No. My problem with Friends & Family when I buy something is that I lose PayPal's buyer protection. What happens if the seller never ships? Or sends me something I didn't order? Or ships uninsured and the item arrives damaged in shipment or never arrives? I have zero recourse.

That last example actually happened to me. Fortunately it had a happy ending. After a couple of tracking updates, the package disappeared from USPS tracking for about a week, before showing up back at the seller's house. New, insured, shipment got to me quickly.

Oct 1, 2026 - 5:37:44 AM
like this

banjoez

USA

3020 posts since 7/18/2007

The serious sellers on here usually make a good effort to respond quickly and communicate well with potential buyers. Unfortunately, there are some less than serious sellers who use the BHO as kind of a trial balloon just to see what the market will handle. They may or may not respond. There is no screening except to look at a sellers ratings. ALWAYS look at their reviews/ratings before you buy. 

Edited by - banjoez on 10/01/2026 05:47:55

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.375