DVD-quality lessons (including tabs/sheet music) available for immediate viewing on any device.
Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher.
Weekly newsletter includes free lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more.
While I appreciate all the work that goes into developing tabs and thank all that contribute, is there a way that guitar tablature could
somehow be noted as such?
Downloading .tef files only to see they are meant for a different instrument can a bit frustrating when it happens frequently.
Sorry for the complaining. I know- don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Seems to me it's up to the person posting the tab to describe what it is. Especially since choosing a playing style and tuning is totally optional.
A simple change would be to require a selection of playing style or tuning and adding guitar as an option. Now there's only other "other." Of course, someone can always write "guitar" in the comments, and the comments can be made searchable.
Perhaps you should post a suggestion in the Banjo Hangout Website > Improvements and Suggestions forum
All or most of my Guitar tabs are labeled as such so I'm a bit confused by your question. Look in the Newest Tabs part of the site...Jack p.s. just look at how many strings the tabs has and that alone should tell you what the tab is meant for.....and also, if the tab says it's arranged by Chet Atkins that should give you a clue...
Edited by - Jack Baker on 09/20/2026 07:44:19
quote:
Originally posted by Jack BakerAll or most of my Guitar tabs are labeled as such so I'm a bit confused by your question.
Maybe your tabs aren't the problem.
It's possible other folks have posted guitar tabs, not labeled or otherwise identified them as such, and so there's no way to discover that until downloading and opening the tab.
If you haven't been there already, you should look at Matthieu's TablEdit user group on Groups.io. He answers users' questions, solves problems, and discusses and announces new features or versions. Some of the participants are very knowledgeable and solve users' problems as well. Your TablEdit work is great. There may be features in it, or version-to-version changes, you might not be aware of.
Maybe the confusion is when .tef files are written for several instruments. For instance it took me awhile to learn (for instance) that Jack Baker's and others professional files included guitar,bass, etc. If I wanted to print out only banjo I had to:
1. Down load and open tabledit file with the free tefview which it sounds like you are using
2. Click on File
3. Scroll down to Options
4. Open Multitrack
5. Uncheck unwanted instruments leaving banjo checked
6. Click file again and hit print or print preview
I'm typing this from memory, so if I have described wrong maybe somebody more knowledgeable please correct my steps.
Phil
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)
Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.