Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors


Aug 18, 2026 - 12:49:25 PM
like this
103 posts since 12/31/2013

Howdy,

I wanted to share some pictures of a case I made for my banjo neck. It's carved out of a yoga roller and placed inside of a padded tripod case. It worked very well for my trip to Blue Ridge Banjo Camp. The pot and resonator go in my backpack and I picked up some bolts to secure the coordinator rods while the neck is off. I will mention I was in Delta comfort+ and I'm not sure the neck case would have fit in a lower seating class.

I'm curious to know what other folks have done in terms of disassembling their banjo for travel.

Thanks!
Carson


Aug 18, 2026 - 4:23:44 PM
likes this

17738 posts since 6/2/2008

I've never disassembled a banjo for travel but know it's been done. One friend put his disassembled banjo in his big checked bag. His goal was to avoid a broken neck.

I'm curious as to when you arrived in Asheville (assuming that's where you flew) and where and when you reassembled your banjo.

By the way: Great original number. And congrats on your concert spot.

I was in Walnut.

Aug 18, 2026 - 4:53:13 PM
likes this

Owen

Canada

19830 posts since 6/5/2011
Online Now

Onto a tangent, but I find the pic on the plane quite interesting.   We haven't flown for a few years now ...  I'm 6'1" and there appears to be  a good 6" of additional knee room that isn't there in the "comfort-" seats I've apparently been sitting in.  sad

Aug 19, 2026 - 10:27:23 AM
likes this

103 posts since 12/31/2013

quote:
Originally posted by Old Hickory

I've never disassembled a banjo for travel but know it's been done. One friend put his disassembled banjo in his big checked bag. His goal was to avoid a broken neck.

I'm curious as to when you arrived in Asheville (assuming that's where you flew) and where and when you reassembled your banjo.

By the way: Great original number. And congrats on your concert spot.

I was in Walnut.


Thanks, Ken! I really appreciate that. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you at camp. 

I actually ordered this banjo from Prucha and picked it up from him at camp so I didn't go through an assembly phase though I had all the tools with me. Saturday night after the after party I took it apart and made sure it fit the case I had made for a different banjo and only had to make some small adjustments for the headstock. 

Aug 19, 2026 - 6:54:05 PM
likes this

17738 posts since 6/2/2008

No problem, Carson.

I'm sorry I didn't check this discussion when I was at camp to remind myself of who to be on the lookout for.

And quite randomly, I saw in an old discussion fro'm years ago that I helped out a Hangout member who wanted the B part of your "Big Country" PDF tab in TablEdit. I did that conversion for him. Small world.

Aug 31, 2026 - 10:15:22 AM

17738 posts since 6/2/2008

Hi again, Carson.

Today I looked again at the TablEdit version I made of your Big Country Part B tab back in 2017. I wrote at the time that I thought your measures were wrong and that unwritten notes were needed to make the repeats work. I'm pretty sure I was wrong!  When I took out the stuff I added and shifted everything forward to turn your opening 2-4 slide into a downbeat instead of pickup notes, it sounded to me.

The problem was me. Not your tab. In 2017 I did not understand the timing of Big Country. Not that I understand it much better 9 years later!

Your tab in PDF.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent (EU/GDPR Only)

Copyright 2026 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.5117188