Page:  First Page   1  2

Jul 14, 2020 - 12:39:42 PM

32 posts since 9/21/2019

Thank you Frank!

Mar 14, 2021 - 8:08:34 PM

Todd Strong

Canada

4 posts since 4/29/2020

Very generous offer. Looking forward to exploring this. Many thanks.

Jun 11, 2021 - 11:20:18 AM

3 posts since 3/25/2019

Frank, Thank you for the graphics and your explanations and commentary. I used to think about what I wanted to do with music was what I called "playing physically". Playing with a "disengaged mind" is a much clearer way to describe what I was and am after. I wish the concept and the educational methods supporting it were more prevalent in public education.

lancaster 51 @banjoy

Jun 11, 2021 - 12:47:06 PM

banjoy

USA

11548 posts since 7/1/2006
Online Now

lancaster51

Thanks for your kind post (and everyone else too) and I am honored that you used your very first post on BHO to comment on my thread. That's very kind of you and is humbling.

I always figured that if one person understood what I was offering, and where I was coming from, it would all be worthwhile. It's like planting a seed. It's up to the forces of nature to ensure that it grows, in fertile soil.

All the best to you in your musical journey. I'm glad and honored to be a tiny part of it.

Edited by - banjoy on 06/11/2021 12:48:34

Jul 25, 2021 - 7:21:15 PM

Enfield1858

England

133 posts since 8/1/2020

Thank you for your very generous gift to us all, Frank - on my part, it's very much appreciated!

With best regards,
Jack Enright

Jul 30, 2021 - 9:05:45 PM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

LONG NECK BANJO
N 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#
E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E
B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B
E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G#

BANJO
N 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————
D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A
G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F
D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C
G G# A A# B C C# D D# E F F# G G# A A# B C

copy and paste in a notepad app

Aug 5, 2021 - 5:03:55 AM

banjoy

USA

Online Now

Buck the Banjo Player

I'm a little unclear why you posted this information, which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. But what you posted is useful information, in context.

This booklet I released (for free, incidentally) provides some guidance for how to map out the three chord shapes found on a 5-String banjo tuned to open G. From there, I show you how to identify the root, 3rd and 5th within each shape, then how to modify them to achieve 7th, maj 7th, and minor 7th chords anywhere on the fingerboard. That will give you enough knowledge to then make 6th, augmented, diminished, etc chords once you know which notes need to be modified. All this without need to know what the names of the individual notes are, it's all about shapes and modifying those shapes anywhere on the fingerboard.

Your other posts on BHO indicate you are averse to paying for lessons when everything can be gotten for free. Well, you didn't read my free booklet, so maybe you can benefit from going through it, and then you'll see why your post, while correct information, missed the mark. Knowing the names of all the notes at every fret does not inform you how to make triads, modified or extended chords from the three chord shapes.

Rather than going back to page one of this thread, I'll just give you a direct link here, and the audio files which accompany these fingerboard studies, can be found in my opening post. Anyway, here's the link to this booklet, which is free, just the way you prefer:

Fingerboard Studies for the 5-String Banjo (Free pdf file)

I hope you Enjoy smiley

Edited by - banjoy on 08/05/2021 05:05:40

Aug 5, 2021 - 6:31:18 AM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

Aug 5, 2021 - 7:00:21 AM

banjoy

USA

Online Now

Buck the Banjo Player

Yeah I already saw that Buck. You do realize that your chart is seriously incomplete, right? And, it only shows one fingering based on one chord shape, and it's inconsistent. Based on that, can you play any of those chords up and down the neck, and from all three shapes?

Again, I'm not sure what your point is. Seeing a chart of chords provides zero understanding of where they came from or how they're constructed. You agree?

I would suggest you learn how to play (if you can't already) a harmonized scale which will reveal to you all the chords and modes associated with a key and why they exist.

I maj7
II m7 (
III m7
IV maj 7
V dom 7
VI m7
VII half dim
VIII (octave, starts over)

(Each of the above corresponds to scale modes -- Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian -- but you need not think in those terms.)

Understanding this simple progression, and how they are based on major scales, you can then play those chords all the way up the neck. Knowing the three chord shapes, and where the 1st 3rd and 5th are, you can then play this progression in any inversion.

Charts do not provide an understanding of how the chords on your chart are made. What you're describing is simply rote memory, not providing an understanding. Rote memory can get you only so far. It's better to understand the basic theory of where those chords came from, then you don't need to memorize or refer to anything. Knowing something and remembering something are not exactly the same.

Aug 5, 2021 - 8:15:19 AM

74 posts since 5/20/2020

quote:Originally posted by banjoyBuck the Banjo Player

Yeah I already saw that Buck. You do realize that your chart is seriously incomplete, right? And, it only shows one fingering based on one chord shape, and it's inconsistent. Based on that, can you play any of those chords up and down the neck, and from all three shapes?

Again, I'm not sure what your point is. Seeing a chart of chords provides zero understanding of where they came from or how they're constructed. You agree?

I would suggest you learn how to play (if you can't already) a harmonized scale which will reveal to you all the chords and modes associated with a key and why they exist.

I maj7
II m7 (
III m7
IV maj 7
V dom 7
VI m7
VII half dim
VIII (octave, starts over)

(Each of the above corresponds to scale modes -- Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian -- but you need not think in those terms.)

Understanding this simple progression, and how they are based on major scales, you can then play those chords all the way up the neck. Knowing the three chord shapes, and where the 1st 3rd and 5th are, you can then play this progression in any inversion.

Charts do not provide an understanding of how the chords on your chart are made. What you're describing is simply rote memory, not providing an understanding. Rote memory can get you only so far. It's better to understand the basic theory of where those chords came from, then you don't need to memorize or refer to anything. Knowing something and remembering something are not exactly the same.in the jams I go to, 2 or 3 per week, that chart can help with newbies. I do not give a crap about experienced players. What I hate is when people offer teaser lessons in hope of enriching their pathetic lives. If you want to post online lessons, do it for ad revenue, not paid students. I am hoping to relay to people it is mostly about practice, then you can develop all 2800 or so banjo chords. If you go to as jam , and you are getting losty on 1-4-5 songs, you can use this chart to limit yourself , and also practice focusing on the key of G, A, C, and E, which covers 99% of what happens at the jams I attend in Albuquerque and Taos

banjohangout.org/forum/attachm...ID=277144

Aug 5, 2021 - 8:19:28 AM
likes this

banjoy

USA

Online Now

Buck the Banjo Player

Buck, I've read all of your posts here on BHO and what is quite clear is you carry a great deal of anger and angst. I cannot help with that.

I wish you well.

Jan 9, 2022 - 3:39:01 PM

206 posts since 11/8/2014

Thank you Frank..

Dec 25, 2022 - 7:22:06 AM

1533 posts since 11/10/2022

I just downloaded and read Franks book. I thought Id give it a bump as it is an important concept.

Since everyone learns differently, Id also like to include the way I learned this important concept 25 years ago. In the guitar world, where I learned, a great method is called the caged system. There is a nice 100 page book that not only shows you what Frank has but then how to form all the scales anywhere on the neck using these inversions.

"Fretboard Logic SE" by Bill Edwards It is not free!!!!

There are a couple excellent youtube videos on adapting caged to banjo. One simple way is to tune the banjo like a guitar and then its 1 to 1 on the 4 or 5 strings you have. Then change the 1 string to banjo tuning and replay everything which simply shifts 1 string notes. Another way is to download a fretboard diagram and map out the sequences like Frank did.

A lot of us guitar players pick up the banjo later and I thought Id share the way I adapted to and learned this threads concept.

Franks book definitely deserves a thread bump!  Its on page 1 ^^^^^ and is worth a look.

Edited by - NotABanjoYoda on 12/25/2022 07:35:12

Oct 17, 2023 - 8:36:22 PM

160 posts since 3/8/2008

Very useful, graphics that make a lot of sense. Thank you for your time and effort.

Page:  First Page   1  2

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories