Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  4   5   6  7

Aug 18, 2016 - 6:59:54 AM
like this

13420 posts since 3/6/2006

quote:

Well,I guess you told him, I want you to work on your customer service skills because when you talk like that, your canoe leaks. It's hard to bail and paddle at the same time.
I know what I'm talking about.
I worked with disabled and challenged people in my personal career, and everyone learns different ways.

I have a great metronome.

I learned "Cole Younger" from Peter McLaughlin's CD Cliffs of Vermillion, he's a noted double flat picking champion, so much easier to stay with those guys, I sped it up, raises the vibration.

You have such great credentials, you play so well, when are you going to form your own band? And personally, if I had the legacy and background of roots like you do, there would be Craig Evans down there shooting a documentary about starting at your family's store with a small fiddle shop right there.

You are a journeyman, you don't have to apologize about anything.

My metronome has a useful downbeat feature.

Timing is not for every soul, no one has the right to try to regiment a herd of cats, much less a bunch o banjo players.

I need you to work harder.

Click 2,3,4    Hup, 2,3,4

Im guessing you didnt read some of the comments made in this thread. No one in here is a customer but if someone drops in the shop dropping F bombs and generally trying to convince everyone there that 'we dont need no stinking this or that", then i will plainly tell them theres no need to be that hostile. This is just a thread about metronomes and how they can help a musician learn, and thats all. 

What does craig 'shooting a video' about me have to do with anything in this thread and what am I 'apologizing' for? If you wish to be a good musician, then yes "timing IS for every soul". Anyone who decided a metronome is a waste of time is more than welcome to ignore one and I respect that. But those who do use one dont need to be cursed for using it either. I am glad you have a great metronome and hopefully its helped you with your timing.

May 29, 2017 - 4:50:13 PM

GlennM

USA

4502 posts since 8/31/2005

I posted the wrong link

Jul 28, 2018 - 10:31:09 PM

23 posts since 3/17/2018

Excellent advice, Mr. Boulding, you definitely made it easier for me to understand why timing and the use of a metronome might be beneficial later. I am still in the rank beginner stage so right now I am just trying to get the mechanics of banjo picking right but timing seems like it is going to be something I will have to put focus on.

Thanks for the thread and advice

Sep 15, 2019 - 10:11:06 AM

225 posts since 9/14/2019

I may have missed it. Any recommendations of a good metronome?

Sep 21, 2019 - 2:06:37 AM

1 posts since 7/7/2012

I have always found the concept of playing rolls quite straight forward, but when playing tunes and fitting in melody notes and maintain the timing and to knowing where I am overall in the tune I find challenging. Some tunes are easier to play and work in the melody notes to fit the roll but others I have found are difficult and my timing soon goes off.
I have found trying to playing along with records works best since I live in an area of the UK that suffers from a bluegrass banjo famine.

Feb 26, 2021 - 1:02:40 PM

348 posts since 2/23/2019

I've been playing for 2 years and have just started really trying to learn the metronome. I feel like I'm learning my songs all over again but man does it feel good to know I'm more in time, playing it the way song writers intended it to be played. Thanks for the detailed write up!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  4   5   6  7

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories