Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

Banjo Lovers Online

Using the metronome-Part 2 clicks/durations

Want to hide these Google ads? Join the Players Union!

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  4   5   6  7

Aug 18, 2016 - 5:45:19 AM
Players Union Member

Helix

USA

12353 posts since 8/30/2006

Wernick said that? That makes me like him a lot more, I have his book.

Aug 18, 2016 - 6:59:54 AM
like this

13420 posts since 3/6/2006

quote:

Well,I guess you told him, I want you to work on your customer service skills because when you talk like that, your canoe leaks. It's hard to bail and paddle at the same time.
I know what I'm talking about.
I worked with disabled and challenged people in my personal career, and everyone learns different ways.

I have a great metronome.

I learned "Cole Younger" from Peter McLaughlin's CD Cliffs of Vermillion, he's a noted double flat picking champion, so much easier to stay with those guys, I sped it up, raises the vibration.

You have such great credentials, you play so well, when are you going to form your own band? And personally, if I had the legacy and background of roots like you do, there would be Craig Evans down there shooting a documentary about starting at your family's store with a small fiddle shop right there.

You are a journeyman, you don't have to apologize about anything.

My metronome has a useful downbeat feature.

Timing is not for every soul, no one has the right to try to regiment a herd of cats, much less a bunch o banjo players.

I need you to work harder.

Click 2,3,4    Hup, 2,3,4

Im guessing you didnt read some of the comments made in this thread. No one in here is a customer but if someone drops in the shop dropping F bombs and generally trying to convince everyone there that 'we dont need no stinking this or that", then i will plainly tell them theres no need to be that hostile. This is just a thread about metronomes and how they can help a musician learn, and thats all. 

What does craig 'shooting a video' about me have to do with anything in this thread and what am I 'apologizing' for? If you wish to be a good musician, then yes "timing IS for every soul". Anyone who decided a metronome is a waste of time is more than welcome to ignore one and I respect that. But those who do use one dont need to be cursed for using it either. I am glad you have a great metronome and hopefully its helped you with your timing.

May 29, 2017 - 4:50:13 PM

GlennM

USA

4483 posts since 8/31/2005

I posted the wrong link

Jul 28, 2018 - 10:31:09 PM

23 posts since 3/17/2018

Excellent advice, Mr. Boulding, you definitely made it easier for me to understand why timing and the use of a metronome might be beneficial later. I am still in the rank beginner stage so right now I am just trying to get the mechanics of banjo picking right but timing seems like it is going to be something I will have to put focus on.

Thanks for the thread and advice

Sep 15, 2019 - 10:11:06 AM

10 posts since 9/14/2019

I may have missed it. Any recommendations of a good metronome?

Sep 21, 2019 - 2:06:37 AM

1 posts since 7/7/2012

I have always found the concept of playing rolls quite straight forward, but when playing tunes and fitting in melody notes and maintain the timing and to knowing where I am overall in the tune I find challenging. Some tunes are easier to play and work in the melody notes to fit the roll but others I have found are difficult and my timing soon goes off.
I have found trying to playing along with records works best since I live in an area of the UK that suffers from a bluegrass banjo famine.

Page:  First Page   Previous Page   ...  4   5   6  7

Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories