View Marv's Homepage
Read Marv's Bio
You must sign into your myHangout account in order to contact Marv.
Playing Since: 2011
Experience Level: Just Startin'
Marv has made 46 recent additions to Banjo Hangout
A very old Kay K501 accustic guitar (but I do believe it was US made)
George Washburn D10CE guitar
Goldtone BG-150F banjo
Fender FB300 banjo
Dan Doty "Sprite" 6 string dulcimer
Just about anyone who plays bluegrass or southern gospel, especially if they play bluegrass style southern gospel. But my real favorite is " The Heav'n Bound Band".
Classified Rating: +3
Rate this Member
Visible to: Public
Last Visit 5/24/2013
Banjo upgrade project
Friday, July 13, 2012 @7:41:20 AM
I finally got up the courage to tear down my Fender beginner banjo to install an add on round rod tone ring. Monday or Tuesday I'll take it to my cabinet maker buddy so that he can trim down 1/4 inch of the rim as per instructions from a BHO member luthier.
on “Banjo upgrade project”
Wednesday, July 18, 2012 @5:17:41 AM
After taking apart the Fender, I think I found the problem with spongy strings and neck movement. The tail piece is stamped from fairly thin metal. The angle of the tail piece appeared to be too parallel to the head. My intent was to adjust it after I put the banjo back together. However, when I removed the strings, the tail piece angle was more like the one on my Gold Tone. The Fender's tail piece is so flimsy that the string tension pulled it up out place. Definitely going to change that turkey out!
Sunday, July 29, 2012 @9:31:04 AM
Trimming the rim has been delayed, my cabinet maker buddy had to have some eye surgery. Hopefully he'll recover quickly.
Monday, July 30, 2012 @7:57:14 AM
Good news! I saw my cabinet maker buddy this morning. His recovery from surgery on his left eye is going well enough that he is back to work doing small, light projects. The surgery on his right eye is scheduled for mid-August. I gave him the rim and showed him what I need done. His exact words were, "Piece o' cake." I should have it back by the end of the week depending on how many paying jobs he needs to do over the next few days.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 @4:19:20 PM
I got my rim back from the cabinet maker today. He did a fantastic job of trimming it down. I got the tone ring installed and put everything back together. It is a different sounding banjo. The difference is not huge but it is noticeable.
I was hoping to experiment with some tail pieces, I picked up a some inexpensive Presto, Kershner, and Waverly models. Unfortunately, the only one that would fit without some extensive modifications to the banjo was the Waverly. I'll just have to be satisfied with experimenting with the tail piece adjustments.
I also put on a set of GHS Sonny Osborne strings, The jury is still out on them. They seem to take long time to settle in.
The project didn't result in drastic changes the banjo's sound, but it did give me some experience in banjo maintenance. Since I didn't have very much money invested, I think the whole thimg was worth the effort. However, I don't think I'll be building any banjos. I'll leave that up to the guys who who know a lot more about them than I do.
Tuesday, July 31, 2012 @7:31:13 PM
Adjusted the end of tail piece up about 1/4" or a little more above the head. Sounds pretty good now, think I'll leave it there.
Friday, August 03, 2012 @10:59:13 AM
Wuz going over the setup on the project banjo. While checking the bridge position, I noticed that it was leaning slightly toward the fingerboard. Closer inspection revealed a slight gap in under the feet on the tail piece side. The bridge wasn't seated fully on the head.
Repostioned the seating then checked and adjusted the position of the bridge. Man did that ever make difference in the sound. Got even more volume and brightness than ever. Woulda thunk it. Totally satisfied with the upgrades.
Now I can give it back to my granddaughter so she can get back to learning. But now I have to start saving up to get her a gooder banjo, maybe a Recording King or a Gold Tone. Maybe I'll buy myself a new one and give her my BG-150.
|Jim Yates Says:|
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 @2:04:09 PM
I put a brass rod on an old S.S.Stewart that I was unsatisfied with and it made a big difference; brightened it right up. I, too, had a cabinet maker friend who took the quarter inch off the rim and another friend made a round picture frame out of the quarter inch thick piece.
You must sign into your myHangout account before you can post comments.
Marv's Blog Archive