Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

801
Banjo Lovers Online


 New Topic  Topic Locked

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Jun 19, 2024 - 2:39:47 PM
like this
13838 posts since 2/22/2007

Earlier this week I saw a graphic on TV showing the UK under "deadly heat wave."
Yet the actual temps, buried in the story, were in the upper 70s. Deadly?

Then today the Governor of NY claims:
"Temperatures at levels not seen in our lifetimes… a significant health event"---"Not a natural hot weather stretch". For temps in the 90s, in mid June, like almost every June.

And we can find hotter temps for this time of year going back decades. It's just summer, or another reason to act like the sky is falling.
See if you notice any breathless declarations of alarming normality in your neck of the woods.

Jun 19, 2024 - 3:01:45 PM

Bill Rogers (Moderator)

USA

28088 posts since 6/25/2005

Record high temps are not “like almost every June.” A good read on the subject:

  • The Heat Will Kill You First, by Jeff Goodell.  
Jun 19, 2024 - 3:20:21 PM
like this
Players Union Member

Texasbanjo (Moderator)

USA

30321 posts since 8/3/2003

We're used to hot summers. No one is surprised, not the media, not anyone who's been around for a few years. We ARE having hotter summers than we used to. It's a cyclical thing. For a few years we'll have decent, not too hot summers and then we'll have summers where it's in the100s most of the time. Normal, nothing to think the sky is falling.

However, the media has to have sensational news or their ratings go down.

Jun 19, 2024 - 3:45:47 PM

chuckv97

Canada

72278 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

The west has been burning up for years now every summer,, already evacuation recently in a town just south of the Arctic circle - Fort Good Hope. The pine trees are dying due to milder winters which don’t kill off the pine bark beetle,, these dead trees don’t take much to go up in flames. Drought conditions have been recorded for years now all over the west east of the Rockies. But of course, this can all be explained away …. (insert sarcasm font)

https://www.sootoday.com/national-news/weather-helping-keep-wildfire-away-from-nwt-community-as-residents-remain-out-9108052

Edited by - chuckv97 on 06/19/2024 15:49:41

Jun 19, 2024 - 3:47:53 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

Bilhe

Ireland

35 posts since 6/17/2023

Blow up your TV throw away your papers. I'm in Ireland and its done nothing but rain. Someone once asked me if it ever stopped raining in Ireland but i said how the heck would i know, im only 48. Heatwave my a$$. When i was a kid the tarmacadam used to bubble on the roads but its been a long time since i've seen a recurrance. Maybe the climates shifted a few degrees over?

Edited by - Bilhe on 06/19/2024 15:52:42

Jun 19, 2024 - 4:23:07 PM

Bill Rogers (Moderator)

USA

28088 posts since 6/25/2005

I’ve been in Lodi 38 years. Over time the summers have gotten a bit hotter, but the big change—and it has been a constant over the years—is the length of summer weather and the distinctly Nwarmer days of fall and winter. We haven’t had a serious hard freeze in at least three years. They used to come terat least once a year. Nor has the fog that used to mark fall and winter , if an appearance for more than two decades. So there are long-term changes going on, with weather steadily warming throughout the year, if not always manifesting itself as record summer highs.

Jun 19, 2024 - 4:26:30 PM
likes this

15131 posts since 1/15/2005

There is record heat every year ...... record cold ....... record rain ..... record everything somewhere every year.

Jun 19, 2024 - 5:08:54 PM
likes this

12790 posts since 8/22/2006

Quit building so much stuff out of concrete and asphalt. Tear down the vacant malls and other abandoned buildings and make green spaces. All those cell towers generate heat. Fill a bathtub with tap water now insert needles in the water that are constantly heated and see how much the water warms over time. All those ships out on the ocean using the sea water to cool their engines must be adding to the heat. All the exhaust from the jets commercial and military it ain’t coming out as snow.

Jun 19, 2024 - 5:33:15 PM

41452 posts since 3/5/2008

Eh'...it's ...
June...
It dose this every year..
Bet the next 2 months..
It will not snow here in Ct....

Can ya beleave it..?! :0o

Jun 19, 2024 - 5:43:37 PM
like this

chuckv97

Canada

72278 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

Well, we've all mentioned local weather. How about average annual global temperature and ocean temps?

Edited by - chuckv97 on 06/19/2024 17:44:28

Jun 19, 2024 - 6:14:27 PM

O.D.

USA

3874 posts since 10/29/2003

I've read there has been above normal solar activity solar flares etc as well as the sun's atmosphere is increasing.
Not too much mention of it in the news stream.
Imagine it certainly affecting
the weather

Jun 19, 2024 - 6:49:22 PM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16349 posts since 5/24/2005

I keep thinking I will see posts from our old friends in Netherlands (guy with the bowler hat)? or the guy in New Zealand (Paul? Nakidsomething?) Lordy, I cannot think of their names or avatars anymore. Brad

Jun 19, 2024 - 7:24:29 PM
like this

146 posts since 1/23/2012

So, when you all read the reports/studies that the global surface and ocean temperatures keep setting records year after year, and are increasing at far higher rates than "normal" climate fluctuations, and witness more frequent and more extreme natural disasters, you just don't believe it? Or you think it won't have negative consequences? Trying to wrap my mind around the denialism I'm reading here.

Jun 19, 2024 - 8:34:54 PM

chuckv97

Canada

72278 posts since 10/5/2013
Online Now

What’s behind the denialism? Tree-hugger hate…?  Or did a certain fella from TN poison the waters years ago?

Edited by - chuckv97 on 06/19/2024 20:37:05

Jun 19, 2024 - 10:27:23 PM

3088 posts since 2/4/2013

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

Earlier this week I saw a graphic on TV showing the UK under "deadly heat wave."

And we can find hotter temps for this time of year going back decades. It's just summer, or another reason to act like the sky is falling.
See if you notice any breathless declarations of alarming normality in your neck of the woods.


The UK hasn't had a heatwave. We have had a coolwave and now we're going into a warmwave.

However on the second point, just because it has been hotter in places in the past is meaningless. It's about regularity and intensity. It has been extremely hot in parts of Europe with record temperatures for June in some places. Over 500 people died at the Haj pilgrimage after temperatures went over 50 degress centigrade (over 120 degrees Farenhiet) which in anyones books should be considered deadly.

Edited by - GrahamHawker on 06/19/2024 22:36:03

Jun 20, 2024 - 4:20:30 AM
like this

41452 posts since 3/5/2008

quote:
Originally posted by Keith Billik

So, when you all read the reports/studies that the global surface and ocean temperatures keep setting records year after year, and are increasing at far higher rates than "normal" climate fluctuations, and witness more frequent and more extreme natural disasters, you just don't believe it? Or you think it won't have negative consequences? Trying to wrap my mind around the denialism I'm reading here.


Well ..

In me case...

Decade after decade..of ..impending doom..

Or preditictions...that  have not come to pass..

 

Makes one go...

Hmmmm....

Chickin Little..had it right?

Jun 20, 2024 - 4:49:40 AM

4793 posts since 4/29/2012

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

Earlier this week I saw a graphic on TV showing the UK under "deadly heat wave."
Yet the actual temps, buried in the story, were in the upper 70s. Deadly?

Then today the Governor of NY claims:
"Temperatures at levels not seen in our lifetimes… a significant health event"---"Not a natural hot weather stretch". For temps in the 90s, in mid June, like almost every June.

And we can find hotter temps for this time of year going back decades. It's just summer, or another reason to act like the sky is falling.
See if you notice any breathless declarations of alarming normality in your neck of the woods.


It's been an unusually cool and wet start to the summer in the UK. But if you want to introduce "a graphic I saw on the TV" to initiate yet another climate change denial thread then that's your prerogative.

Jun 20, 2024 - 5:41:20 AM
likes this

15131 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewD
quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

Earlier this week I saw a graphic on TV showing the UK under "deadly heat wave."
Yet the actual temps, buried in the story, were in the upper 70s. Deadly?

Then today the Governor of NY claims:
"Temperatures at levels not seen in our lifetimes… a significant health event"---"Not a natural hot weather stretch". For temps in the 90s, in mid June, like almost every June.

And we can find hotter temps for this time of year going back decades. It's just summer, or another reason to act like the sky is falling.
See if you notice any breathless declarations of alarming normality in your neck of the woods.


It's been an unusually cool and wet start to the summer in the UK. But if you want to introduce "a graphic I saw on the TV" to initiate yet another climate change denial thread then that's your prerogative.


That's funny!  I have not heard one person deny that climate changes.  Who here has denied that climate changes?  It always has and it always will, as far as I know.

Jun 20, 2024 - 6:01:59 AM
likes this

5092 posts since 9/12/2016

the only half way useful look --would be daily weather statistics --from several centuries back on a daily but long term basis--maybe some old monastery records or some other scribe types
I support climate change because it accidentally supports the mess we are making for our kids and fellow lifeforms to have to deal with--pristine nature turns me on--but I also know this thinking can go overboard--

Jun 20, 2024 - 6:36:33 AM
likes this

62240 posts since 12/14/2005

quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

I keep thinking I will see posts from our old friends in Netherlands (guy with the bowler hat)? or the guy in New Zealand (Paul? Nakidsomething?) Lordy, I cannot think of their names or avatars anymore. Brad


Ummm, just a suggestion from an Old Person:

Go to MORE, on the left side of the screen.

Go to MEMBER SEARCH and put in the country you think they are from.

And there will be a list of names, some of which might nudge a brain cell into remembering.
Click on those names, and avatars will appear.

NETHERLANDS?
https://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/default.asp?method=adv&str=Advanced&username=&firstname=&lastname=&city=&state=&country=Netherlands&experience=&submit=Search

New Zealand?

https://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/default.asp?method=adv&str=Advanced&username=&firstname=&lastname=&city=&state=&country=New+Zealand&experience=&submit=Search

By the way: I found out that Holland is called "ZEELAND", and New Zealand was once a Dutch colony, so "OLD ZEALAND" is actually Holland.

=========================

And now, back to a discussion of climate change.

I figure I'll be dead within the next 21 years, and then be beyond caring.
But it would be NICE if everybody still here had a decent place to live.

So I do what little I can.

Unless, of course, I find it inconvenient, in which case I just plug along with my electrically enhanced home and my internal combustion vehicles.

Jun 20, 2024 - 6:39:49 AM

banjo bill-e

Tuvalu

13838 posts since 2/22/2007

I did not start a thread talking about climate change or any other religious subject. This thread was about how the alarmist news was reporting any high temps, in June, as if they were an unheard of disaster. I find it amusing that 78.8 degrees F was reported as a "sweltering heat wave." And the "unheard of high temps" have been heard of, and often.
But please, do jump on your "climate denialist" bandwagon and show your virtue by responding to what this thread is not about. Might affect your Social Credit score, can't be too careful!

Jun 20, 2024 - 6:42:51 AM

41452 posts since 3/5/2008

N...
Ofcoarse the powers that be...
Are more than likely spraying .."stuff"..in the skys ..to affect the said changes..
That nobody here is denying..

But...
Are thos actions causing changes..?

Or is it just the Bovine farts..?

Jun 20, 2024 - 6:57:39 AM

3088 posts since 2/4/2013

quote:
Originally posted by banjo bill-e

This thread was about how the alarmist news was reporting any high temps, in June, as if they were an unheard of disaster. I find it amusing that 78.8 degrees F was reported as a "sweltering heat wave." And the "unheard of high temps" have been heard of, and often.
 


This is very confusing. The temperature in the UK has only just got to 70 farenheit after being soundly stuck in the 60s and even the 50s in the north. Why would someone made up a story that bears no relation to the actual temperature while ignoring the real sweltering. Over 1000 dead at the Haj now. And the record temperatures in some parts of Europe. Perhaps you just got the wrong end of the stick (manages not to use the obvious pun).

Jun 20, 2024 - 7:02:05 AM
Players Union Member

rinemb

USA

16349 posts since 5/24/2005

quote:
Originally posted by mike gregory
quote:
Originally posted by rinemb

I keep thinking I will see posts from our old friends in Netherlands (guy with the bowler hat)? or the guy in New Zealand (Paul? Nakidsomething?) Lordy, I cannot think of their names or avatars anymore. Brad


Ummm, just a suggestion from an Old Person:

Go to MORE, on the left side of the screen.

Go to MEMBER SEARCH and put in the country you think they are from.

And there will be a list of names, some of which might nudge a brain cell into remembering.
Click on those names, and avatars will appear.

NETHERLANDS?
https://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/default.asp?method=adv&str=Advanced&username=&firstname=&lastname=&city=&state=&country=Netherlands&experience=&submit=Search

New Zealand?

https://www.banjohangout.org/myhangout/default.asp?method=adv&str=Advanced&username=&firstname=&lastname=&city=&state=&country=New+Zealand&experience=&submit=Search

By the way: I found out that Holland is called "ZEELAND", and New Zealand was once a Dutch colony, so "OLD ZEALAND" is actually Holland.

=========================

And now, back to a discussion of climate change.

I figure I'll be dead within the next 21 years, and then be beyond caring.
But it would be NICE if everybody still here had a decent place to live.

So I do what little I can.

Unless, of course, I find it inconvenient, in which case I just plug along with my electrically enhanced home and my internal combustion vehicles.

 


Mike, I tried, but since I can't remember much, no luck. There are 100s of BHO members in New Zealand. 

Jun 20, 2024 - 7:08:22 AM

5092 posts since 9/12/2016

'' It's just summer, or another reason to act like the sky is falling. ''
for some reason --I mistook this as the topic--but no big deal--I ain't mad or violated feeling just easily confused

Jun 20, 2024 - 7:27:48 AM
like this

8585 posts since 9/5/2006

according to my electric bill the apocalypse is here now !!!!!!!!!!!

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

 New Topic  Topic Locked

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.234375