Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

302
Banjo Lovers Online


Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Feb 26, 2024 - 10:13:13 PM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

Hi everyone.

My wife inherited a banjo from he late uncle many years ago, when she was still a young girl, along side some concertinas and a guitar. These instruments were packed away in a cupboard for more than 25 years. So I just want to find out what something like this would be worth.

Gibson RB75 and seems to be a 1939 model with original case

Edited by - Bill Rogers on 02/26/2024 22:30:44

Feb 26, 2024 - 10:33:24 PM

Bill Rogers (Moderator)

USA

27986 posts since 6/25/2005

That’s a live one if genuine (likely) and in good condition. Not my area of expertise, but you will hear from others. They will want to see detailed pictures, notably of the inside of the banjo and the peghead.

Feb 27, 2024 - 4:27:47 AM

leehar

USA

324 posts since 2/18/2018

Don’t know about the market in South Africa but that banjo would set off a feeding frenzy in the states! If it is legit it will be VERY easy to sell. Pre-war five string in the original case is the holy grail for bluegrass banjo players.

Feb 27, 2024 - 5:18:23 AM

2798 posts since 1/4/2009

if thats legit and if it has a flathead tone ring, then you can sell it for over 100k. If its got an archtop tone ring, it will be less, im not certain but probably 20,000 or so.

Can you post pictures showing the entire banjo including the label and numbers inside? We can verify if its real. if you already have done this I would recomend contacting George Gruhn in nashville, https://guitars.com/ , Jim Mills https://prewargibsonbanjos.com/ or Jim Britton https://www.facebook.com/CeresBanjoWorks/

These are the people who have been handling the sale of these high end gibsons, they can do appraisals, also they can get you connected with the right buyers, help with the import too, your market for this banjo is going to be in the united states most likely. thats where the buyers are who will pay the big money for these.

Good luck!

Feb 27, 2024 - 10:58:29 AM

242 posts since 2/20/2004

MleRoux from South Africa just registered an account yesterday.
Asking about banjo inherited years ago:
‘Gibson RB75 and seems to be a 1939 model with original case’

Why didn’t he ask the same question years ago?
Is the guitar a 1939 Martin D-28?

I’m probably the A-hole here. Probably completely legit, no need to monitor.

Feb 27, 2024 - 11:37:28 AM
likes this

2438 posts since 2/9/2007

quote:
Originally posted by Gallaher

MleRoux from South Africa just registered an account yesterday.
Asking about banjo inherited years ago:
‘Gibson RB75 and seems to be a 1939 model with original case’

Why didn’t he ask the same question years ago?
Is the guitar a 1939 Martin D-28?

I’m probably the A-hole here. Probably completely legit, no need to monitor.


I wondered how someone who claims to know little about banjos could glibly identify a '39 RB-75. Perhaps he's got the original sales ticket! 

This should get interesting.

Feb 27, 2024 - 4:54:21 PM

2798 posts since 1/4/2009

I think it’s quite possible that a. They have the internet and figured out how to look it up. B. The one who they inherited from wrote down the info with the banjo.
C. It’s not what they think it is

But this doesn’t seem like a scam to me. Unless you’re messaging him and trying to work out some sweet back door deal , I would t worry about it being a scam until it’s offered for sale.

Feb 27, 2024 - 11:30:23 PM
like this

eljimb0

USA

2104 posts since 7/24/2007

Aloha new Person, The banjo you have described is the "Stradivarius violin" of the banjo world. Regardless of what you do with it the people here in this website would love to see lots of pictures of it. You have come to the best place in the world to show it off. Please do so. Thank you so much for coming here.

Mar 3, 2024 - 7:29:40 AM
likes this
Players Union Member

RioStat

USA

6285 posts since 10/12/2009

......never to be heard from again.....

Mar 5, 2024 - 5:05:13 PM

2438 posts since 2/9/2007

Brings memories of stories I heard 50+ years ago. A fellow would claim to have placed a classified ad in the paper, offering some holy grail (like an RB-75), at a foolishly low price, with a nonexistent phone number. Then he'd describe the bizarre behavior of one or more of his musical buddies in response to said ad.

Mar 5, 2024 - 5:46:29 PM

2798 posts since 1/4/2009

Either it was fake or some big wig collector / salesman scooped it up.

Mar 5, 2024 - 6:24:01 PM

rcc56

USA

5097 posts since 2/20/2016

Without any evidence to the contrary, I took his inquiry to be honest, but it may be that the first suspicious post was enough to run him off.
I don't take well to contempt prior to investigation either.

Or he might have taken Kyle's advice and contacted George Gruhn; which was good advice.

Edited by - rcc56 on 03/05/2024 18:26:31

Mar 6, 2024 - 5:29:01 AM

15018 posts since 1/15/2005

quote:
Originally posted by rcc56

Without any evidence to the contrary, I took his inquiry to be honest, but it may be that the first suspicious post was enough to run him off.
I don't take well to contempt prior to investigation either.

Or he might have taken Kyle's advice and contacted George Gruhn; which was good advice.


Or someone sent him a private email and said ....."I am interested in your banjo if it is what I think, but you will have to not comment any more on Banjo Hangout".  Who really knows?

Mar 7, 2024 - 12:30:11 AM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

quote:
Originally posted by Gallaher

MleRoux from South Africa just registered an account yesterday.
Asking about banjo inherited years ago:
‘Gibson RB75 and seems to be a 1939 model with original case’

Why didn’t he ask the same question years ago?
Is the guitar a 1939 Martin D-28?

I’m probably the A-hole here. Probably completely legit, no need to monitor.


Hi there, sorry haven't been around much. We never knew what kind of banjo it was and didn't really care much about either the instruments. Until we went and collected it, the day my father in-law went to the retirement home and that is why I was just asking about information as I will definitely have to insure it. I also reached out to other sites and people about it.

Mar 7, 2024 - 12:38:48 AM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Gellert
quote:
Originally posted by Gallaher

MleRoux from South Africa just registered an account yesterday.
Asking about banjo inherited years ago:
‘Gibson RB75 and seems to be a 1939 model with original case’

Why didn’t he ask the same question years ago?
Is the guitar a 1939 Martin D-28?

I’m probably the A-hole here. Probably completely legit, no need to monitor.


I wondered how someone who claims to know little about banjos could glibly identify a '39 RB-75. Perhaps he's got the original sales ticket! 

This should get interesting.


Here are some pictures. I didn't Identify it, but this is also not the only place I am trying to find out more information about it. 

Mar 7, 2024 - 12:41:05 AM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

quote:
Originally posted by kyleb

if thats legit and if it has a flathead tone ring, then you can sell it for over 100k. If its got an archtop tone ring, it will be less, im not certain but probably 20,000 or so.

Can you post pictures showing the entire banjo including the label and numbers inside? We can verify if its real. if you already have done this I would recomend contacting George Gruhn in nashville, https://guitars.com/ , Jim Mills https://prewargibsonbanjos.com/ or Jim Britton https://www.facebook.com/CeresBanjoWorks/

These are the people who have been handling the sale of these high end gibsons, they can do appraisals, also they can get you connected with the right buyers, help with the import too, your market for this banjo is going to be in the united states most likely. thats where the buyers are who will pay the big money for these.

Good luck!


Thank you very much. 

Mar 7, 2024 - 1:10:36 AM
likes this

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

quote:
Originally posted by MleRoux
quote:
Originally posted by kyleb

if thats legit and if it has a flathead tone ring, then you can sell it for over 100k. If its got an archtop tone ring, it will be less, im not certain but probably 20,000 or so.

Can you post pictures showing the entire banjo including the label and numbers inside? We can verify if its real. if you already have done this I would recomend contacting George Gruhn in nashville, https://guitars.com/ , Jim Mills https://prewargibsonbanjos.com/ or Jim Britton https://www.facebook.com/CeresBanjoWorks/

These are the people who have been handling the sale of these high end gibsons, they can do appraisals, also they can get you connected with the right buyers, help with the import too, your market for this banjo is going to be in the united states most likely. thats where the buyers are who will pay the big money for these.

Good luck!


Thank you very much. 


Photos










 

Mar 7, 2024 - 1:19:48 AM
likes this

1959 posts since 4/25/2007

Nice banjo.

Mar 7, 2024 - 2:35:41 AM
likes this

eljimb0

USA

2104 posts since 7/24/2007

Thanks for showing us. Congratulations. Use your head with this thing, it is a very special piece of history. My advice is don't let it out of your sight. I doesn't need anything done to it to be worth more than it is right now... just as it is right now.

Mar 7, 2024 - 3:29:01 AM

97 posts since 12/9/2018

I don't know enough about this to even be dangerous, but I'm curious about the two screws that are shown in the back of the neck above the hand stop. Am I seeing things..... again?

Edited by - UTM on 03/07/2024 03:29:48

Mar 7, 2024 - 3:48:31 AM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

quote:
Originally posted by UTM

I don't know enough about this to even be dangerous, but I'm curious about the two screws that are shown in the back of the neck above the hand stop. Am I seeing things..... again?


Nope, you are seeing correctly. It was repaired many years ago as per what we heard from my in-laws.


 

Mar 7, 2024 - 3:55:08 AM

MleRoux

South Africa

9 posts since 2/26/2024

From information I received it seems to be a 1939 model?


 

Mar 7, 2024 - 7:13:13 AM

2438 posts since 2/9/2007

nice!

Mar 7, 2024 - 3:59:32 PM
likes this

97 posts since 12/9/2018

I've been watching, hoping that someone with some experience with these extremely rare banjo would offer a comment on how the neck repair would likely effect the market value. I'm most curious about the effect on the value if a high quality reproduction neck were to be installed.

Regardless, the possibility that one of these super rare banjos has been discovered is remarkable.
I hope that we continue to be updated as more information comes to light.

Mar 7, 2024 - 4:28 PM
likes this
Players Union Member

RioStat

USA

6285 posts since 10/12/2009

quote:
Originally posted by MleRoux

From information I received it seems to be a 1939 model?


Yes, 1939. Thank you for the excellent photos. You have a piece of history, and an instrument with serious value.

Here is your banjo's "twin", one number different

http://earnestbanjo.com/wp/gibson-rb-75-mastertone-eg-3239-a-k-a-papaw/

Also, apologies for my comment earlier in this thread.

Mar 7, 2024 - 7:43:18 PM
likes this

2168 posts since 2/10/2003

Question for those who keep track of this kind of thing. This banjo seems like it was made for export, evidenced by the made in USA sticker inside. Does anyone have a clue how many pre-war flathead RBs were made for export?

Page: 1  2   Last Page (2) 

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.40625