Banjo Hangout Logo
Banjo Hangout Logo

Premier Sponsors

202
Banjo Lovers Online


Feb 25, 2024 - 12:29:42 PM
like this
123 posts since 3/3/2008

A few weeks ago, I got a new-to-me 1995 Earl Scruggs Banjo at Turtle Hill Banjo Company (I highly recommend them ). It played and sounded great but I wanted a bit lower action. I filed the nut slots a bit deeper and found that the strings were resting on the truss rod cover. This probably isn’t a huge issue in itself since it wasn’t buzzing but I didn’t like it. I then set out to make a slightly smaller truss rod cover on the CNC router out of Mother of Pearl to give some clearance and add some bling to it. I documented the process and have the .dxf file for this on my site here.






 

Edited by - euler357 on 02/25/2024 15:11:39

Feb 25, 2024 - 3:24:51 PM

2515 posts since 2/7/2008

Beautiful work.

It’s nice to know that there’s a guy with your expertise right nearby!! :)

Feb 25, 2024 - 5:05:57 PM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

Quickstep192 - Are you local?  I'm in Odenton.  I've been doing the jam sessions at the American Legion in Severn.

Feb 25, 2024 - 6:09:11 PM

jonc

USA

473 posts since 10/23/2014

very cool, I had one once that came on a mandolin and it fit my banjo.

I also made a fiddle-shaped one out of curly maple that looked good.

nowadays I go with no cover at all so I can tweak the neck more easily.

Feb 26, 2024 - 5:37:33 AM

2515 posts since 2/7/2008

quote:
Originally posted by euler357

Quickstep192 - Are you local?  I'm in Odenton.  I've been doing the jam sessions at the American Legion in Severn.


I'm in Arnold on the other side of 97. 
 

Can you tell me more about the jam in Severn? I'd love to go. 

Feb 26, 2024 - 5:49:26 AM

119 posts since 11/3/2015

Do you have any interest in fabbing them for those of us without CNC equipment in our shops? They look great and are nice and thin. I have the same problem of the 2nd & 3rd string rubbing the aftermarket truss rod cover on my Gibson.

Feb 26, 2024 - 6:28:18 AM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

The jam is the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. They have a Facebook group also. I've attached one of the past events ads. New ones are the same.


quote:Originally posted by Quickstep192quote:Originally posted by euler357Quickstep192 - Are you local? I'm in Odenton. I've been doing the jam sessions at the American Legion in Severn.I'm in Arnold on the other side of 97.


Can you tell me more about the jam in Severn? I'd love to go.


 

Feb 26, 2024 - 6:29:59 AM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

Email me what you want and I'll see what I can do.

ckc @at@ accuforge .dot. com

quote:
Originally posted by TTtheBear

Do you have any interest in fabbing them for those of us without CNC equipment in our shops? They look great and are nice and thin. I have the same problem of the 2nd & 3rd string rubbing the aftermarket truss rod cover on my Gibson.


Feb 26, 2024 - 4:20:05 PM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

I've measured and produced the covers to the dimensions on these photos and are 100% certain that they fit my banjos. 

I've got the Gibson at 1.925" and the Stelling at 1.725" spacing.

 

Someone I'm talking to has measured both their Stelling and Gibson (conversion neck so ?) at 1.87" 

Is there variance in what Stelling and/or Gibson used for their truss rod cover spacing? 

 

BTW - these are both between 0.050" to 0.060" thick


Edited by - euler357 on 02/26/2024 16:21:17

Feb 27, 2024 - 4:34:35 PM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

I've found online (from Philadelphia Lutherie and Banjo Mart) that the Gibson should actually be 1-15/16 = 1.9375    This is close enough to my 1.925 that it sounds correct.

Is this consistent with other people's measurements?  

Mar 4, 2024 - 7:52:28 PM

2515 posts since 2/7/2008

quote:
Originally posted by euler357

The jam is the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month. They have a Facebook group also. I've attached one of the past events ads. New ones are the same.


quote:Originally posted by Quickstep192quote:Originally posted by euler357Quickstep192 - Are you local? I'm in Odenton. I've been doing the jam sessions at the American Legion in Severn.I'm in Arnold on the other side of 97.


Can you tell me more about the jam in Severn? I'd love to go.


Do you need to be an American Legion member to attend the Jam? 

Mar 5, 2024 - 3:55:51 AM

123 posts since 3/3/2008

No, everyone is welcome.

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Privacy Consent
Copyright 2024 Banjo Hangout. All Rights Reserved.





Hangout Network Help

View All Topics  |  View Categories

0.359375